shape
carat
color
clarity

Who is qualified to appraise ruby?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I purchased an estate diamond and ruby ring which has not yet arrived or I would show pictures. I''d like to have it appraised while I''m within the return period but I know there is a general lack of knowledge on fine rubies among many appraisers since they are so rarely seen. I contacted Gemworld International two days ago and have yet to hear back. I know there are far more cruddy stones out there than real finds but I think it has the potential to be promising since it comes with an appraisal from 1973 which states it to be a genuine burma (we''ll see) ruby of 2.5 carats and the color appears blood red, no pink or purple overtones. Any suggestions on appraisers if Gemworld does not get back to me? Thank you!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Richard Sherwood. do a search for him here in pricescope.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2010 1:06:48 AM
Author:kelpie
Hi! I purchased an estate diamond and ruby ring which has not yet arrived or I would show pictures. I'd like to have it appraised while I'm within the return period but I know there is a general lack of knowledge on fine rubies among many appraisers since they are so rarely seen. I contacted Gemworld International two days ago and have yet to hear back. I know there are far more cruddy stones out there than real finds but I think it has the potential to be promising since it comes with an appraisal from 1973 which states it to be a genuine burma (we'll see) ruby of 2.5 carats and the color appears blood red, no pink or purple overtones. Any suggestions on appraisers if Gemworld does not get back to me? Thank you!

Honestly, if it were me, I would have the gem removed and sent to the AGL (American Gemological Laboratory) for a top of the line Prestige report with origin analysis. If you think it's a valuable stone, and a fine color, the report is worth it. It will not give an appraised value, but you can research auction estimates of rubies of similar quality to get an idea of the value, or you can then send it to Richard Sheerwood for a value. Fine Burmese rubies over 2 carats are exceptionately expensive. Unfortunately, most of them are lead glass filled, or not really Burma, even if stated so on an appraisal. Many people lie about origin on rubies on appraisals, or really have no clue where they're from, and put "Burma" to satisfy the client.

. . . you could still send it to Richard, and if he comes back with, "it's fabulous, it's a Burma, etc. . . " then I really still would get an AGL to have that official information. The AGL will enhance the value of the ruby.

Do you have a photo of the gem?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thank you both for the advice. If I find out it is a very fine ruby I will definitely send to AGL. I''ve attached the description from the 1973 appraisal. I don''t have any good pictures for now.

rubapp1234567.jpg

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Richard Sherwood appraised mine; I felt his report was quite thorough. The stone was purchased with a GRS certificate, so I was confident of treatment prior to purchase. I would not have purchased the stone without the accompanying certificate. Your dealer can be honest, and well trained, but even the best can be mistaken. I read your post as saying that you have already purchased the stone, is that correct? Do you have a return period? Even though I sent my stone registered mail to Mr. Sherwood, the turnaround time was timely. (I am in a neighboring state.)

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I have already purchased it but haven't received it. I have 7 days to return, so I'll probably send overnight.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TL- I KNEW you were going to say that. AGL should be sending you kickbacks as much as you recommend them!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TL- I KNEW you were going to say that. AGL should be sending you kickbacks as much as you recommend them!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2010 12:03:42 PM
Author: RockHugger

I recommend AGL for expensive colored gems because they're the only gem lab that gets specific about the quality of color. I am a bit disenchanted with GRS and some other labs and the quality of their colored gem reports, but let's save that for another thread. For the big three, sapphire, ruby, and emerald, I think the AGL prestige report is really the best report you can have. JMO. For other colored gems, I think any other reputable lab would suffice. I recommend GIA for colored diamonds.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
AGL is definitely the best for a detailed color gem report. ;'') I used to say AGTA, but *sigh* they are no longer with us....

--Joshua

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see no mention of the treatment of the ruby; in this case, I’d spring for an appraiser first, then an AGL report if it’s really worth a lot. He is highly skilled, qualified and competent.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results