shape
carat
color
clarity

Who here would like THIS tanzanite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tanzanite-Oval-AAAA-Color-D-Block-115-26Cts_W0QQitemZ190287908930QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c4e0b1042

Oh me me me me!!!
emthup.gif

Sadly....65k is a little out of my price range
emcry.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not me. It’s so dark that it is almost black except for a flash of blue here and there.
41.gif
Definitely overpriced for what it is, despite the size.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually too dark for my taste.
Haha, and what would you put that in? A scepter?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Way way way way too dark.

Not a good Tanzanite (sorry).

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Awww, you guys are no fun! if they lowered the price to 50$ I still would pick up up even if it is dark, LOL!

HAHAH! @ the Scepter!That would be fun to walk around the mall with eh?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaaah but big is not always beautiful!
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn’t someone once say that size doesn’t matter?
11.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So if this stone was below 100$ you wouldnt buy it? I totally would. Make it into a belly button ring LOL.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, no I wouldn''t. For me it doesn''t have any beauty. It''s just a big black rock. I like Tanzanite to be like a rich velvet blue/violet with flashes of red/pink.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, nope. I’d put that $100 with the rest of my jewellery fund towards something smaller but with colour that pops.
9.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well Pfft fine. It has a few offers so I wonder who IS interested in buying it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2009 11:50:37 AM
Author: Tropicgal10
Well Pfft fine. It has a few offers so I wonder who IS interested in buying it.
Probably someone who doesn''t realize how black the stone will appear in person. There''s always lots of people who are scammed on eBay.
38.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somebody who doesn't know one end of a Tanzanite from another maybe?
Somebody who pressed the "bid now" button by mistake?
Somebody who wants a very expensive black gem to go into a sceptre?
Somebody with more money than sense!
9.gif
23.gif
9.gif

Mind you, maybe the offers were all for $50!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HAHAHA! Maybe!
Date: 11/12/2009 11:55:15 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Somebody who doesn''t know one end of a Tanzanite from another maybe?
Somebody who pressed the ''bid now'' button by mistake?
Somebody who wants a very expensive black gem to go into a sceptre?
Somebody with more money than sense!
9.gif
23.gif
9.gif

Mind you, maybe the offers were all for $50!

HAHA! Maybe!!!

I guess I have been real lucky. Any stones I have bought off ebay have been pretty dang close to the picture. I have recieved a couple fake stones, but always got my moneys back easy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t read all the responses, but I highly doubt that''s even a tanzanite. It looks like iolite or glass.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
See, I dunno...all my iolites have a yellowish undertone to it...but then again it could be photoshoped.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellowish tone? Iolite? Normally you''ll see grey undertones. Here''s one of my Iolites:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2009 11:33:33 AM
Way way way way too dark.

Not a good Tanzanite (sorry).
Agreed.

-A

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woo doggy that is dark! And windowed.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those are pretty! Yeah, my7ct iolite is a lighter blue then yours and has a yellow undertone to it. Looking at my smaller ones, I can see a greyish tone. I havnt really examined those.

Here is my iolite. This is the dealers photo because my youngest hid my camera.

iolite.jpg

chris Hart

Rough_Rock
If any of you have ever seen a real AAA or AAAA you will notice that they are so blue as to be almost black when viewed from some angles...that stone due to the cut has more extintion present than a typical cut tanzanite due to improper angles or the refractive nature and angle degree of the stone/facets. When you see the pic of the stone upside down in the ad you can see the true color of the stone which by picture only doesn''t look to bad but pictures can be altered. Most AAA and AAAA stones look so dark as to appear black from some angles. Most folks don''t know that since AAA and AAAA stones are very very rare. Don''t ever let anyone tell you they have an AAA or AAAA tanzanite without a GIA B grading report..I usually refer this webist to my students or collegues who have simple questions.
http://www.lapigems.com/tanzanite_buying_guide.asp

If you notice in the color set under "color grading" the two 6 5''ers are very very dark and appear black over a good portion of the stone.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the info! I like that site and refer to it on occasion.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2009 6:04:38 PM
Author: chris Hart
If any of you have ever seen a real AAA or AAAA you will notice that they are so blue as to be almost black when viewed from some angles...that stone due to the cut has more extintion present than a typical cut tanzanite due to improper angles or the refractive nature and angle degree of the stone/facets. When you see the pic of the stone upside down in the ad you can see the true color of the stone which by picture only doesn''t look to bad but pictures can be altered. Most AAA and AAAA stones look so dark as to appear black from some angles. Most folks don''t know that since AAA and AAAA stones are very very rare. Don''t ever let anyone tell you they have an AAA or AAAA tanzanite without a GIA B grading report..I usually refer this webist to my students or collegues who have simple questions.

If you notice in the color set under ''color grading'' the two 6 5''ers are very very dark and appear black over a good portion of the stone.
I respectfully beg to differ. I have been collecting Tanzanite for many years and have a large number of certified Tanzanites. I''ve recently posted 2 that were graded as 6/5ers. Neither of which appear dark and they can''t be accused of being small at 18ct and 8ct respectively. I believe that in the coloured gemstone world, colour is a primary concern for what is determined as beautiful and I can''t see any beauty at all in the almost black Tanzanite posted. Unlike diamonds, coloured gemstones should be evaluated face up rather than down so ...........

Whilst I appreciate that a good Tanzanite will be more blue than violet, I would not consider a fine gem if it looks black and I certainly don''t wear my gemstones upside down!!!
9.gif
Well, not during the week anyway!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to add my 2 cents here too.
9.gif

Firstly, I do not go with the AAA and AAAA ratings because there is no agreed upon standard as what they mean. This rating is assigned by individual vendors and jewellers and varies from place to place. Secondly, I disagree that a top quality stone will appear almost black at certain angles. Yes, the body colour is best viewed upside down but the perceived face up colour plays a huge role in the pricing of the gemstone. Pricing is based on beauty and I have not seen blackish inky stone command high prices.

trishy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 7:33:55 PM

If you notice in the color set under ''color grading'' the two 6 5''ers are very very dark and appear black over a good portion of the stone.
I respectfully beg to differ. I have been collecting Tanzanite for many years and have a large number of certified Tanzanites. I''ve recently posted 2 that were graded as 6/5ers. Neither of which appear dark and they can''t be accused of being small at 18ct and 8ct respectively. I believe that in the coloured gemstone world, colour is a primary concern for what is determined as beautiful and I can''t see any beauty at all in the almost black Tanzanite posted. Unlike diamonds, coloured gemstones should be evaluated face up rather than down so ...........

Whilst I appreciate that a good Tanzanite will be more blue than violet, I would not consider a fine gem if it looks black and I certainly don''t wear my gemstones upside down!!!
9.gif
well LD... ever since reading this... i went through ALL your started topics looking for pics of your beautiful tanzies[especially the 18ct
31.gif
]... admittedly, it took 2 days of looking cuz i got stuck looking at your other collections of stones {i.e., the alex''s
30.gif
, the paraiba''s
18.gif
, just to name a few}do they have pics here that i cant find? can i see your tanzy collection? oh please? pretty please? you have such great stuff!! i have to see more
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2009 10:11:12 AM
Author: trishy

Date: 11/12/2009 7:33:55 PM

9.gif
well LD... ever since reading this... i went through ALL your started topics looking for pics of your beautiful tanzies[especially the 18ct
31.gif
]... admittedly, it took 2 days of looking cuz i got stuck looking at your other collections of stones {i.e., the alex''s
30.gif
, the paraiba''s
18.gif
, just to name a few}do they have pics here that i cant find? can i see your tanzy collection? oh please? pretty please? you have such great stuff!! i have to see more
9.gif
Oh Trishy you did make me laugh! Somewhere on here are pictures of my Tanzies BUT I don''t think it was on a thread that I started. I think I added them elsewhere but honestly can''t remember! I''ll start a new thread just for you over the weekend!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/12/2009 5:30:37 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Woo doggy that is dark! And windowed.
I noticed the large window as well. I was wondering why no one else mentioned it. Perhaps because the stone is so dar as to be nearly opaque...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results