shape
carat
color
clarity

Who Else Is Excited By Chrysoprase?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
From the moment I first saw Chrysoprase, I fell in love with the stuff.
Who could believe this beautiful jellybean green could be formed in the earth?
Absolutely amazing...and even though it's mined in Australia, it's almost impossible to find here!
It is almost ENTIRELY packed up and sold overseas, to Asian buyers who will pay more than locals in Australia, as they appreciate it as a cheaper jade look-alike!
Sad that such a beautiful material is not loved and appreciated for its' own sake.

Check out the eye candy at this website:

http://www.candalachrysoprase.com/

These earrings are nice:
http://www.anzie.com/dew-drop-collection-snowflake-studs-chrysophase-p-1957.html

chrysoprase_necklace.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE chrysoprase, Lara! Glad to see this thread. I've almost bought a few pieces but waited for one that knocked me out.

The Anzie jewelry you linked is really nice! I love those earrings. Looked up the company & it seems to be well known, so reliable, yes? Have you bought from them?

Is that a reasonable price for those earrings? I'm very tempted to buy them but don't want to overpay -- what do you smarter folks think?

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! Lara, I don't even know what chrysoprase is but now I am going to make sure I do. Gorgeous color and luster (not sure that's the right term)...amazing! :love:

Laurie, those are beautiful earrings!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
My feelings about those earrings is that, yes, you may be able to find some chrysoprase round cabs via etsy or whatever, and have them set, but I do love the design.

I also appreciate a company that bothers to consider chrysoprase, and set it to sell commercially. I want to buy the earrings almost for that reason alone!
The colour is very slightly lighter / less saturated than some other top quality chrysoprase I have seen but in my honest opinion that is probably a good thing, possibly even specifically selected, as when you are wearing the earrings there is less light getting to the stone.

I have bookmarked these earrings forever! But I haven't bought them - at this stage, anyway.
Having a PS conversation just might push me into commitment to them! :cheeky:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
It really is quite hard to find good quality chrysoprase...
I pulled out my vintage chrysoprase ring to show you:

As I did so, I realised that the stone looked relatively unattractive and flat today... it is an unusually overcast, grey day over here.
chrysoprase has many different moods, and is quite hard to photograph. Usually, this ring looks better than this.
Also with the flash on, it can look soapy and flat. Anzie did a good job of capturing the translucency of their stones!

Perhaps the stone's responsiveness to light is a reason why it historically only really been popular as an imitation jade...often not even sold under its actual name! Perhaps its changeability is a disadvantage in the winter months of Europe and the Northern Hemisphere...?

Please forgive the 'casual' background!!

chrysoprase_ring_3_resized.jpg

chrysoprase_ring_2_resized.jpg

chrysoprase_ring_1_resized.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful piece of chrysoprase, Lara! A delight to see it & thanks for the mini-course on it. Your observation about the saturation of the earrings is right -- they aren't as well colored as they might be. But I agree, those earrings are so pretty & unusual, they're worth buying for that alone & in the photo they have nice translucence.

Thinking about price: I look at chrysoprase often on vendors' sites -- Brad Payne at the Gem Trader usually has more of a selection than most. One or 2 nice stones generally. I've never seen a matched pair anywhere, though. So, for one piece of similar quality & size to the earrings, you'd pay maybe $100 - $200. A pair would come to more than double probably. So, say $300 to $450 for a pair, then the gold, workmanship & profit margin for 2 earrings, and it isn't an outrageous cost. At first it seemed high, but actually isn't bad.

My main question would be that the photo is generic -- you wouldn't get the pair pictured. I'd be sure & ask for the best quality stones they have. I'm pretty close to buying -- just need to find out the cost for another project I'm planning first.

Your ring is so pretty -- do you wear it? Vintage -- is it a family ring or a lucky purchase? Chrysoprase, I think, looks wonderful with diamonds, but I can't afford that at the moment!

--- Laurie

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1380020731|3526203 said:
Beautiful piece of chrysoprase, Lara! A delight to see it & thanks for the mini-course on it. Your observation about the saturation of the earrings is right -- they aren't as well colored as they might be. But I agree, those earrings are so pretty & unusual, they're worth buying for that alone & in the photo they have nice translucence.

Thinking about price: I look at chrysoprase often on vendors' sites -- Brad Payne at the Gem Trader usually has more of a selection than most. One or 2 nice stones generally. I've never seen a matched pair anywhere, though. So, for one piece of similar quality & size to the earrings, you'd pay maybe $100 - $200. A pair would come to more than double probably. So, say $300 to $450 for a pair, then the gold, workmanship & profit margin for 2 earrings, and it isn't an outrageous cost. At first it seemed high, but actually isn't bad.

My main question would be that the photo is generic -- you wouldn't get the pair pictured. I'd be sure & ask for the best quality stones they have. I'm pretty close to buying -- just need to find out the cost for another project I'm planning first.

Your ring is so pretty -- do you wear it? Vintage -- is it a family ring or a lucky purchase? Chrysoprase, I think, looks wonderful with diamonds, but I can't afford that at the moment!

--- Laurie

Yes, I totally agree with regard to the photo being representative of the jewellery I buy! That isn't an issue particularly isolated to chrysoprase though is it.... it is a problem / challenge for all pre-set coloured stone I think. buying set jewellery pieces online is more straightforward when it comes to graded diamonds it seems.

There can be so much variation in chrysoprase - some of the lower quality stuff can be a bit of a turnoff. Even in the quality stuff there are degrees of saturation, clarity / translucency and colour.... all ungraded...on some american sites I've seen chrysoprase that is described as 'blue'! Makes it a little scary to buy online.

Throw in the dyed green chalcedony that is often described / presented as chrysoprase and - well - you have a minefield!

Lucky it's a good minefield :D

I have bought a few cabs, and there has been some small variation in terms of colour saturation and translucency...but they have all been beautiful. Regarding the cost of cabs, seems there's a huge range of price, anything from $10-15 to $60 to as you said between $100-$200. I've even seen chrysoprase cabs offered for around $600 - $800 unset!! That seems crazy to me.

I've cobbled together a little adhoc collection, with no rhyme or reason...not too sure what on earth to do with them, tbh!! I'm thinking of having the biggest oval cab set as a pendant.

In regards to your question about the ring, alas, my family were cattle graziers from the isolated far north of Australia, they had very little access to fripperies such as fine jewellery! So for better or worse, everything I acquire is indeed a 'lucky find' heheh.

Below: my bracelet which was offered as chrysoprase...but probably is not. What care I, in the end, when it is so beautiful?

chrysoprase_green_onyx_bracelet_resized.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That is a really neat bracelet, Lara! I love the style, whatever the stones are. They don't look a lot like chrysoprase -- could be dyed anything, or maybe chrome calcedony, which can look similar to that.

I've seen the prices you mentioned -- GemSelect has a zillion cabs on their site for a few bucks apiece. I went to Brad's website because I know he is completely trustworthy & if he says it's chrysoprase undyed & unadulterated, you can take that to the bank. His prices are fairly reasonable in general.

Anzie has a crummy return policy, which gives me pause. They won't take returns on earrings "for hygiene reasons," pure BS. Their jewelry seems to have a good reputation, but I agree w/you about online purchases -- I don't like allowing somebody to pick from stock what may not be the best quality they have, and not be able even to exchange it, much less return it. Makes me think maybe I'll pass on these, much as I LOVE them. They give only Anzie credit, not refunds, for everything else.

I'm sure you can find good deals there in Oz & actually see what you're buying first, right? That's a plus -- I doubt any b&m jewelers where I live have ever even heard of chrysoprase!

--- Laurie

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1380025488|3526238 said:
That is a really neat bracelet, Lara! I love the style, whatever the stones are. They don't look a lot like chrysoprase -- could be dyed anything, or maybe chrome calcedony, which can look similar to that.

I've seen the prices you mentioned -- GemSelect has a zillion cabs on their site for a few bucks apiece. I went to Brad's website because I know he is completely trustworthy & if he says it's chrysoprase undyed & unadulterated, you can take that to the bank. His prices are fairly reasonable in general.

Anzie has a crummy return policy, which gives me pause. They won't take returns on earrings "for hygiene reasons," pure BS. Their jewelry seems to have a good reputation, but I agree w/you about online purchases -- I don't like allowing somebody to pick from stock what may not be the best quality they have, and not be able even to exchange it, much less return it. Makes me think maybe I'll pass on these, much as I LOVE them. They give only Anzie credit, not refunds, for everything else.

I'm sure you can find good deals there in Oz & actually see what you're buying first, right? That's a plus -- I doubt any b&m jewelers where I live have ever even heard of chrysoprase!

--- Laurie

That's the kicker! It's a NON event in this country! The major mine has been owned by a Hong Kong company since the 1950s.
They pack the whole lot up and ship it to China. I tried to order a couple of things through their online form, and got the fob off... so I asked my jeweller to contact them...they didn't even bother to reply to his emails!!

Candala Chrysoprase (the link in the first post in this thread) owns the 'other side of the mountail' (actually a hill). They are a family outfit. Actually the woman running the business is from the US originally! I'm not sure how far she has gotten in terms of developing her mine. I know she does a lot of gem show stuff in the states.

So locally.... chrysoprase is a NO SHOW. Not to mention I now live on the other side of the country *snort*. But even in the touristy areas of Qld (the mine is based in Qld) I've never really seen it for sale at all, and certainly never in any high profile way as Opal is sold at any tourist destination in this country.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a shame! :nono: That really is rotten. On top of that, it's not appreciated for its lovely self, but sold as a jadeite wannabe in China. Well, we're all in the same boat then -- buying it from abroad. I won't forget those earrings -- if you find anything as pretty from a source with better return policies, holler! I'll do the same.

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I love it too! Count me in for the good stuff, lol! Sometimes you can see good strings of it at gem and bead shows here - do they ever come to your part of Oz? Your bracelet is stunning and I wouldn't mind it if it were glass, even, its so beautiful (except that I'd be afraid to shear one right off).

More pics! :appl:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are a couple good vendors on Etsy who routinely carry nice chrysoprase and lavender chalcedony as well.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Who, Lady D? Can you mention a few? Thanks!

--- Laurie

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Jewelfreak, Candala Chrysoprase (the link in the first post) is the american lady that has the 'other side of the hill' in the Marlborough mine.
You can't get a better source than that!
She has cabs in ovals and rounds. :)

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Minous bijoux... no bead shows... I swear it's the 1940s round here. Specially in Western Australia :tongue:
I swear I have never in my life seen chrysoprase sold commercially in a real-life shop...ever!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I looked on the Candala site, Lara -- in the "web store" part, nothing happens when you click on the stones photos. First page is all carvings. I went to the site of the distributor listed, nothing under Chrysoprase either. I'd sure love to find somewhere with matched pairs.

--- Laurie

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I like chrysoprase too.
From the Candala webiste it says that the distributor in America is our old friend Ed of Kashmirblue,
http://www.kashmirblue.com

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JewelFreak|1380108813|3526938 said:
Who, Lady D? Can you mention a few? Thanks!

--- Laurie

I don't think PS trade rules allow me to mention vendors. However, I will drop a line on FB. I believe a few people on this thread are my FB friends and, if they like the vendors, they can mention the names.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Lady D. I did a search on Etsy & came up with a few that seem to have good quality cabs. Very helpful!!

--- Laurie

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Since Ladydisdain cannot post vendors, can someone else post the ones here from FB?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1380116708|3526992 said:
I looked on the Candala site, Lara -- in the "web store" part, nothing happens when you click on the stones photos. First page is all carvings. I went to the site of the distributor listed, nothing under Chrysoprase either. I'd sure love to find somewhere with matched pairs.

--- Laurie
Just drop her an email, she's get back to you. :)
She emailed me recently that she has rounds and ovals up to 16mm.

She's currently managing every aspect of the enterprise, so be nice and patient with her. :D

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, pretty! She got you some nice stones, there. Good color & translucency.

--- Laurie

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
i've been looking for some glowy chrysoprase cabs for earrings -- but get worried when I see the milky, creamier opaque stuff on some vendors sites. Is it a matter of cut or the stone itself that determines translucence?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
It can be very hard to take good photos of chrysoprase, unfortunately!
A lot of the darker green translucent vintage stuff (often set in german silver) can be dyed agate.
Also, it can be quite hard to tell the difference between glass and dyed quartz / agate without special equipment.
(chrysoprase is a form of quartz)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Chatbandit -- Doug Menadue at Bespoke Gems has a lot of varied shapes of chrysoprase cabs on his site. They're very very nice.

--- Laurie

greengems

Rough_Rock
I love chrysopase that comes
from Molucas Islands
Just make a search of images
in Google by words
"Batu bacan" as this is how
they call it there
You will find incredibly
beautiful ones chrysopase pictures
from Molucas