shape
carat
color
clarity

Who does THE BEST customs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in the market, so... who do you think is absolutely the best?
31.gif

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
What kind of setting are you looking for?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t seen some of the work of the popular custom folks here like Maytal, Ocean etc. but I have seen Leon''s work in person and it was wonderful, but I know you aren''t a fan of his temperment.

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Mark Morrell if you''re into the fluid platinum look

Leon seems to only do good work if you insist he does it, and not one of his benchman.

In my experience from scouring the SMTR forums, none other than those two produce eyeclean symmetry.

Steel

Ideal_Rock

HA!

I totally misread your question!

I thought you mean who has the best like (maybe) religious customs

26.gif
? Now looking back my interpretation makes even less sense than I thought your question would have in the ''Ricky Talky'' section.
20.gif

Perhaps I got confused with Christmas ''round the corner?

-That’s my excuse and I''m sticking to it!

nebe

Brilliant_Rock

I'm looking for an 18K WG solitaire setting with surprise diamonds and wire work under the head and MAYBE bead set melee down 3/4 of the band (undecided, FH's idea). I want it to be very delicate, but not fragile (does that make sense?). It's based off the Swan by Vatche with some modifications.

The issue is that I have a VERY definite idea of what I want, which is causing some issues with the benchman at WF so I'm not sure I'll end up going with them at this point. Does Mark work with anything but plat?
I'd be willing to work with Leon if he can do what I want, but he doesn't work with WG; Or am I wrong?
33.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Buy the original. Learn to live without those "modifications" and you'll save yourself a world of hurt.

ETA: I can't remember a single case off hand where someone has created a custom piece and then truly been happy with it. Maybe for a minute .. maybe after some adjustments ... but MAN, there are some BUMPY BUMPY rides.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t believe Leon works with WG, but I could be wrong. You might also consider Ocean Pearlman, the gal Wink Jones uses. I haven''t seen a lot of her work, but Gypsy is having her make her ring now and seems to really get along great with her. Gypsy also had very specific ideas of what she wanted and found Ocean to be very open and also honest of what would and wouldn''t work.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 10:55:52 AM
Author: nebe

The issue is that I have a VERY definite idea of what I want

this is usually the problem with custom work and finding someone that can/will carry out the design. most of the time you have people that have never worked with jewelry coming up with desingns that are technically impossible or if they are, the jeweler isn''t familiar with how to carry out a specific design. it''s a hard match.
deco''s idea of getting the original is a good one. at least you know what you are getting. otherwise, you are going to have to trust your designer/jewelers professional judgement.

best of luck.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
If you have a very definite idea of what you want, Leon is probably not your man.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Nebe,

Both Ocean and Maytal are designers. Not benchmen, they WILL give you design input. While it's true the Ocean has been easy to communicate with, I did give her leeway on some aspects. For example.

I wanted a 2 mm comfort fit shank, rounded a bit from top view. The details of the shank were left up to her.
I wanted pretty underwires that bowed out and a gallery that allowed a flush fit band.
I wanted a thin halo (less than 2mm) with no outside metal edging.
And I wanted single claw prongs.

BUT all the details of how this was to be accomplished were up to her. If I gave these parameters to 4 different designers, they'd come up with 4 very different rings.

Ocean checked and stetched her ideas for me so I could see what was in her head, but there was still a disconnect, both our faults, between what was in my head, and what was in hers. So that's all something to consider. Cehra had every little detail pinned down with Ocean, and still there was some give and take there to regarding what Ocean thought would be asthetically pleasing but within Cehra's general parameters.

Designers are all going to give you their input and seek to put their stamp on the design. Leon more so than others, in my understanding, and Ocean from my experience less so than most. But STILL the ring is HER design. I can't speak to Maytal, but from talking to her, she's more open than Leon, and very friendly.

The other thing is that I know Maytal will work in gold, Leon won't, and Ocean... I don't know as I wanted Platinum and a specific Platinum alloy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I''m looking for an 18K WG solitaire setting with surprise diamonds and wire work under the head and MAYBE bead set melee down 3/4 of the band (undecided, FH''s idea). I want it to be very delicate, but not fragile (does that make sense?). It''s based off the Swan by Vatche with some modifications.

The issue is that I have a VERY definite idea of what I want, which is causing some issues with the benchman at WF so I''m not sure I''ll end up going with them at this point. Does Mark work with anything but plat?
I''d be willing to work with Leon if he can do what I want, but he doesn''t work with WG; Or am I wrong?
33.gif

Oh I just read this. There is a REALLY easy solution to your problem. Vatche will customize. Just call Wink or Excel diamonds and have them contract Vatche for you with your design tweaks. They were very accomodating when I requested customization. THAT''S THE BEST solution to your quandry.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 10:59:01 AM
Author: decodelighted
Buy the original. Learn to live without those ''modifications'' and you''ll save yourself a world of hurt.

ETA: I can''t remember a single case off hand where someone has created a custom piece and then truly been happy with it. Maybe for a minute .. maybe after some adjustments ... but MAN, there are some BUMPY BUMPY rides.

ditto.

deco, I do think Lynn B was entirely happy with her whole custom experience with her new setting. other than that, I can''t really think of anyone else either, although i''m sure there are a few out there.

chas

Rough_Rock
I like Mark Morrell & Arthur Gordon! They do excellent work!
25.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do I remember correctly that your tweaks to the Vatche design were pretty minor and in the "add-on" vein as opposed to the "design element change" vein? If so, I would suggest speaking first with Vatche about your ideas and, most likely, you'll end up getting closest to what you want.

After all, if you want the general shape (and especially that quite unique head design) of the Vatche, it is NOT going to be accurately replicated by a different designer. It will always be a little different. Maybe that's okay with you, maybe not... but for me, I'd go with the original designer for your type of custom work.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
I just sent in my third reply to James at WF about changes to the design. If his benchman can''t do it, I''ll contact Vatche and maybe Mark.
31.gif
I really like his work in particular, but he works mainly in plat. I guess I could always just ask, right? I''d be paying more for his name though, no?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI: Mark Morrel is very particular and will turn down projects if he feels there is a personality clash. He is NOT in any WAY SHAPE OR FORM a benchman. He is TRULY a designer.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 6:27:23 PM
Author: Gypsy
FYI: Mark Morrel is very particular and will turn down projects if he feels there is a personality clash. He is NOT in any WAY SHAPE OR FORM a benchman. He is TRULY a designer.
Well yes, but some designers have a better bedside manner than others, I think.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 8:24:25 PM
Date: 11/2/2007 6:27:23 PM

Author: Gypsy

Well yes, but some designers have a better bedside manner than others, I think.

gypsy learned firsthand about MM''s bedside manner. she knows what she''s talking about.

I think you should definitely go the vatche route first. I would only suggest custom if every other option had been explored. since it''s their design give them a shot at making the slight modifcations you want. it may even cost less than custom b/c they already have the molds made up.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another option is Quest.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 9:31:20 PM
Author: mrssalvo

gypsy learned firsthand about MM''s bedside manner. she knows what she''s talking about.

I think you should definitely go the vatche route first. I would only suggest custom if every other option had been explored. since it''s their design give them a shot at making the slight modifcations you want. it may even cost less than custom b/c they already have the molds made up.
Ditto.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 9:31:20 PM

Nebe, MsSalvo has done custom with good ''eventual'' results. We''ve both been exploring and researching settings and designers for YEARS now, I''m going through the custome process and I PROMISE YOU we are speaking from the voice of experience. You are going to have a much better experience, and a much closer design if you adapt the original ring inspiring you through the designer, rather than trying to re-invent the wheel. Please, contact Vatche first... through a trusted vendor like GOG (Marie is great) or any of the other great vendors on here that carry the line. You will be much happier. Plus Vatche can give you an 18K option plus a paladium option if that''s something your are exploring, AND as Mrs.S pointed out it may cost less through Vatche.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 1:05:41 PM

Date: 11/2/2007 10:59:01 AM
Author: decodelighted
Buy the original. Learn to live without those ''modifications'' and you''ll save yourself a world of hurt.

ETA: I can''t remember a single case off hand where someone has created a custom piece and then truly been happy with it. Maybe for a minute .. maybe after some adjustments ... but MAN, there are some BUMPY BUMPY rides.

ditto.

deco, I do think Lynn B was entirely happy with her whole custom experience with her new setting. other than that, I can''t really think of anyone else either, although i''m sure there are a few out there.
I am entirely happy w/my custom experiences, too, and I''ve done 3 of them.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

The issue is that I have a VERY definite idea of what I want, which is causing some issues with the benchman

If the issues relate to concerns about structural integrity or long term durability, please give that heavy consideration.

Sometimes there is a gap between what you want and what is actually possible. I can''t tell you how many hairstyles I''ve desperately wanted, but it''s up to my hairdresser to consider my hair texture/volume, etc and tell me if my hair is conducive to producing similar results.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, did you have a bad experience?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nebe my ring is not yet completed. I wouldn't say I've had a bad experience-- just a bit of a stressful one-- but NOT unexpected, I avoided custom for four years, hoping to find a stock setting that would work for me, or one close enough from a designer (like Vatche) that could be tweaked. And I came fairly close, but in the end, lost patience with the rising metal and diamond costs, and decided to go custom. My opinion of the process greatly depends on how the ring comes out. The first time it was attempted by Ocean we had some communications disconnect, so she's had to remake portions of it entirely a new. We might think we are being clear, but ... none of our designers post here and know our lingo, and well... that's one of the reasons why I think WF succeeds in meeting it's customer's expectations a little more than the other designers/ benchmen... because they do post on here and 'get' us and understand how incredibly picky we can be. I've already decided that if this time I'm not happy I'm just going to get a HoF setting I've had my eye on, despite the fact that it's NOT exactly what I want.

chas

Rough_Rock
I have had 3 rings custom made thus far and my experiences fortunately have all been very pleasant.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results