shape
carat
color
clarity

Who do I trust?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jrd.whippets

Rough_Rock
I have a dilemma, and I am hoping the professionals on this board can steer me in the correct direction.

My fiancé proposed to me last year with my paternal grandmother's engagement ring, which has been in my family for several generations. My grandmother wore it for the first 30 years of her marriage, at which time my grandfather "upgraded" her rings.
1.gif
So now I am the lucky owner of a beautiful old ring with sentimental value.

I went to have it appraised by a certified AGS appraiser, and the report reads:

"One lady's 14Kt yellow and diamond engagement ring, assembled cast construction, size 5.75, weighing approximately 1.1 dwt. and containing: (A) One Old European cut diamond measuring approximately 4.84-4.96 x 3.15 and weighing approximately .46ct. AGS Provisional Grading: color 1.5; clarity 5. Prong set in 14Kt white gold. (B) Two round single-cut diamonds measuring approximately 1.6 to 1.7 mm and weighing a total of approximately .04ct. AGS Provisional Grading: color 2.5-3.0; clarity 7-8. Bead set in 14Kt white gold.

Indistict trademark. Estimated replacement $1,850."

I spoke with the appraiser about the ring -- namely, that it's far too big for me, and I wondered about getting it remounted in white gold or platinum. He impressed on me the fact that the diamond was fragile, that its girdle was thin, and suggested plating the part of the band that's yellow gold with white gold or rhodium. I walked away from the appraisal feeling like I knew much more about the diamond, but I didn't want to make any decisions without my fiancé's input.

My fiancé wanted to use a local jeweler his family has used for decades, who is an AGS gemologist (although not appraiser). I figured I would have a similar experience, but it was not. The jeweller told me my ring is not Old European Cut, but in fact what he calls Early American Cut, and said the cut was very, very good. He said the girdle was not excessively thin at all. He strongly encouraged resetting the prongs. He liked the white and yellow gold, and pushed for as little change as possible to the ring itself. He disparaged the appraiser I'd used (not even knowing the identity of the appraiser), which was most distressing.
32.gif

I just want the diamond to be safe. I love the ring, the diamond (whatever the cut is) everything about it except the yellow gold -- all my jewelery is silver. How do I know who to trust? The prongs need to be reset, but now I am scared the diamond will be damaged.
7.gif
I know it's not worth a great deal, but it does have a lot of sentimental value.

Thanks in advance, so much, for any advice.

--Julie in Louisville, KY

P.S. Oh, the best photos I have of the ring are below:
r1.jpg

r2.jpg

I apologize if my post is too long -- I am truly a newbie here.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Resetting a diamond rarely leads to damaging the stone. It is a VERY distant possibility and not worth worrying over. You must remember that you cannot insure sentimental value, but the jeweler who agrees to rest the diamond will be responsible for giving it back to you undamaged. If a jeweler breaks a diamond they will repair the diamond or replace it. Just don''t forget that sentimental value is not part of the contract. Tha part is at your own risk, which is VERY slight.

I''d suggest that you set it as you want to. Use a qualified jeweler who seems willing to do the work and who makes you feel comfortable. Don''t get pressured into a decision or a choice. You can always size the present ring to fit you now, secure the prong tips that might be a bit worn down, plate it all white with rhodium and wear it for a year or two before you decide further.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
It''s beautiful! If it were me, I''d want to retain the original setting, and get it rhodium plated. I think part of the beauty is the antique setting, so I''d want to keep it. How attached are you to this setting?

jrd.whippets

Rough_Rock
I like it a lot.
1.gif
The only thing I would change is the yellow gold.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/9/2006 3:24:04 PM
Author: oldminer
Resetting a diamond rarely leads to damaging the stone. It is a VERY distant possibility and not worth worrying over. You must remember that you cannot insure sentimental value, but the jeweler who agrees to rest the diamond will be responsible for giving it back to you undamaged. If a jeweler breaks a diamond they will repair the diamond or replace it. Just don''t forget that sentimental value is not part of the contract. Tha part is at your own risk, which is VERY slight.

I''d suggest that you set it as you want to. Use a qualified jeweler who seems willing to do the work and who makes you feel comfortable. Don''t get pressured into a decision or a choice. You can always size the present ring to fit you now, secure the prong tips that might be a bit worn down, plate it all white with rhodium and wear it for a year or two before you decide further.
i mostly agree with Old Miner with the exception that most jewelers will NOT accept liability for a diamond that they did not sell when remounting it. This has been discussed many times here with many heated feelings one way or the other. You will want to confirm with the jeweler his position on this. I especially agree with Dave that it is VERY unlikely that any damage will be done, but you need to know the jewelers take on this PRIOR to having any work done.

Wink

jrd.whippets

Rough_Rock
My main question is which jeweler to take it to -- I had confidence in the AGL appraiser until we visited the jeweler. I''m seriously considering visiting a third this week, just to find out what the cut is.

--Julie

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
at this point, i don''t think a third opinion is entirely unreasonable. it should not be that hard to judge the cut and girdle thickness. don''t give up yet!
also, if you really want the setting to be white rather than yellow, plating is your best alternative. best of luck to you!

jrd.whippets

Rough_Rock
IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

Prongs reset, shank replaced, whole thing rhodium plated. The third jeweler told me the diamond is a bit more modern than European Cut, although it''s certainly not round brilliant, so it''s what he calls "Transitional". He showed us some Old Mine Cut stones so we could see the difference between my diamond''s cut.

Yay, relief. My ring fits, and it''s beautiful. Whew!
9.gif

Thanks, everybody!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
It IS beautiful, well-done!!! LOVE IT!!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. I think it is just lovely.

jrd.whippets

Rough_Rock
Wow. I think it is just lovely.
Thanks -- I''m thrilled with how it turned out.

BTW, is that an Ibizan puppy in your icon? So cute!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome! the ring looks great. glad everything worked out. wear it in good health!

Kirra

Rough_Rock
Absolutely Beautiful!!

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS, I''m so glad you took the plunge. It''s a beautiful ring. I''m really happy for you.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s a beautiful ring! It''s like you brought that stone back to life! Great choice in setting, it looks fabulous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results