shape
carat
color
clarity

Who can tell me a little about my diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rjo1979

Rough_Rock
I just bought a diamond and I would appreciate any info on whether I got a relatively good deal. It is a 1.04 round, F, SI2 - eye clean. It is also EGL certified and the other info is:
6.58-6.51-3.95, total depth = 60.4, table width = 54, crown height = 14, pavillion depth = 43, girdle is thin, faceted. polish is very good and symmetry is excellent. no flouresence and it is an "excellent ideal cut".
I paid approx. $4900. Also, what is the difference between what someone pays and the appraisal. Thanks for your help.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
rjo1979,

You bought a nice diamond for a fair price. You could have purchased a GIA diamond for the same money (or less) but if the stone you have is truly "eye-clean" then you did okay.

If the appraisal was supplied by the seller and is for thousands more than you paid then just throw it away and get one from an independent source.

Even better advice - get that independent appraisal anyway just to double check the EGL specs...

rjo1979

Rough_Rock
What is the difference between GIA and EGL? Also I welcome anyone elses opinions about my purchase.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
I am not an expert but have done tons of research at this point. From what I have learned EGL is more liberal with their grading and are sometimes known to "overgrade" diamonds. GIA and AGS graded diamonds tend to cost more but I think the grade is more reliable.

Regardless, it sounds like you may have found a very nice diamond and you can hopefully get an independant appraiser to say the same.

i have often wondered if i should look at EGL graded diamonds because they do tend to be priced better. I just get nervous online because i can''t see them, but I am sure there are many great deals to be found when you find the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results