shape
carat
color
clarity

White gold re-plating

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
When you get your white gold re-plated, does it come back to you looking new? What happens to the scratches?

Thanks.
1.gif

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, mine always look brand new again. My jeweler polishes the scratches out before plating.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2008 7:26:34 AM
Author: Girlrocks
Yes, mine always look brand new again. My jeweler polishes the scratches out before plating.
Yep, this is the way it is done...it always looks so pretty when it comes back to me!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
It should look pretty much brand new; shinny, no scratches, smooth, and white!!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
That to me would be a big advantage to choosing it because I like things to look new!
3.gif

I''ve been considering platinum for a while but two things bother me about it: 1. they say that it never really polishes to a new-like surface and 2. the recent prices increases are just extreme.
32.gif

Scratches bother me a lot. I don''t know why. I''ve had nice stainless steel watches and by the time they were five years old they were very scratched up. I always disliked that to the point that I wished I had not worn them.
40.gif

I guess every metal has its advantages and disadvantages and we have to choose between them.
17.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/15/2008 8:37:18 PM
Author: Imdanny
That to me would be a big advantage to choosing it because I like things to look new!
3.gif

I''ve been considering platinum for a while but two things bother me about it: 1. they say that it never really polishes to a new-like surface and 2. the recent prices increases are just extreme.
32.gif

Scratches bother me a lot. I don''t know why. I''ve had nice stainless steel watches and by the time they were five years old they were very scratched up. I always disliked that to the point that I wished I had not worn them.
40.gif

I guess every metal has its advantages and disadvantages and we have to choose between them.
17.gif
Just had my platinum bands polished and they look brand new!! But will they/do they scratch, yes! I actually don''t notice it as much as I did when I had a yellow gold setting, but I think it''s because there was more metal on the top showing, and YG stays shinny, while platinum develops a patina so I don''t think the scratches are as noticable.

To me the choice really came down to which would bother me more:
--WG constantly turning yellow (I turn WG yellow within a month, granted there are different alloys out there, and diff people react diff to the metal, so do your homework
34.gif
)- can be replated
--Or platinum having a patina (satin-type finish over time)--can be repolished

I didn''t want the yellow coloring, so I went with platinum. And I am SOOO glad I did, I love the weight (it weighs significantly more than gold), and the color
30.gif
. But it''s not for everyone and yes, the prices are on the rise.

If scratches are your main concern you might want to consider titanium or something very strong and durable. I don''t think those scratch as much, but haven''t owned one, maybe an expert or an owner of titanium will chime in.
35.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Well ok! I stand corrected about polishing platinum. But I thought the patina WAS the scratches(?). In any case, I am glad you enjoy your rings! I imagine the weight must really be enjoyable.
3.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Patina is the pretty dark color that platinum takes.

I re-rhodium my ring wg ring once a year - and yes, it comes back looking brand new and costs very little. The back of my ring looks yellowy now (to me - it''s been 8 mos since the last "dip") but my jeweler said that it really doesn''t need it quite yet. A friend of mine gets very, very worried about the quality her ring because it changes on her very quickly - but it really does have to do with how your skin reacts to the metal. Do you (or is this ring for FI?) have wg pieces that you wear every day? You can sortof gauge by looking at your existing pieces.

Have you looked at palladium?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I don't have white gold jewelry. I have not seen palladium, only platinum without patina or scratches, but I have considered palladium. Thanks for your post!
1.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I love my palladium band - I knew absolutely nothing about the metal when we purchased the band and I was so worried that it would bend easily or scratch easily. While my e-ring sortof protects my w-band (e-ring is very thick with euro shank, w-band is very thin and round), I haven''t had problems with either. I thought I read that palladium will also get a patina, but I haven''t really noticed one forming. Honestly, I think my palladium ring looks just like my wg one (except whiter). My ring is super, super thin so it''s also very light - a lot lighter than my wg e-ring, so I really don''t know what the weight is like in a substantial setting. If you search palladium, a lot of threads will come up. :)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Great suggestion! Thanks!
1.gif

So I did that and I read some threads.

Gold, platinum, palladium, I can't make up my mind!
39.gif

There's things I like and things I don't think I'd like about each of them!
38.gif

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
I had a jeweler tell me today that he couldn't plate my 10k baby ring in white gold because it wouldn't "stay" and I'd have to redo it constantly. I was under the impression that white gold is simply yellow gold flashed with rhoidum (sp?) to make them a different color. I've had white gold for years that hasn't changed color significantly (except on the bottom of it where I hit things with it) so I'm not sure he's telling the truth.

Am I stoned or what?
33.gif
34.gif

Angara

Rough_Rock
The process for re-plating white gold is first the metal is buff polished and then dipped in rhodium. This process ensures that all the scratches are removed and the metal gets a smooth, silky finish.

Sincerely,

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I may not get a white gold ring but hopefully my question was a good one and other might find this thread useful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results