shape
carat
color
clarity

White Gold Prongs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kath

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone....

I''m getting a white gold 1/2 eternity e-ring with a .42 carat center diamond in a 4-prong head. I''m pretty sure the prongs that hold the center diamond are white gold as well. With a small .42 carat diamond, should I request a platinum head instead? (I have no idea if the store will actually be able to switch the heads since it''s a Christopher Designs ring and might be only sold as is). Is platinum that much better for prongs, or is it not worth the effort of getting the heads switched since the diamond is on the small side?

Thanks for any input!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kath and welcome
35.gif
This is a matter of opinion and comfort level here...... many prefer platinum for heads and prongs as they feel their diamond is more secure, but I and many others have had WG for prongs with that size and bigger diamonds for many years without problems. Apparently should repairs be needed such as retipping the prongs etc, platinums melting point is much higher than gold so I have read from the experts this could cause burning of the diamond, however a skilled craftsman - bad luck aside - would take all the precautions and be used to doing this work. I think it really depends, if you are set on platinum have it, but I am sure the WG will be fine. Whatever you choose, check your diamond regularly to check it is secure and have a pro check the prongs yearly to be on the safe side. HTH.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hello there, and welcome,

As my good friend Lorelei has already said, it is a matter of personal preference. But I wouldn't be overly concerned.

It is a good idea though to have the setting checked regularly. I would also remove at bedtime too, as the claws can catch on the bedding.

Blod
35.gif

Bloody hell...I almost forgot, we would love to see some pictures

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2006 9:40:46 AM
Author: blodthecat
Hello there, and welcome

Blod
35.gif

Bloody hell...I almost forgot, we would love to see some pictures

Bloody Hell is right Bloddie! YIKES! Fancy forgetting to ask for pics, we must be slipping......
41.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know that platinum prongs are any more secure than white gold prongs. In fact, I think some would say that the opposite is true.

I got platinum prongs put on my yellow gold ring because I did not want to ever have to worry about them yellowing.

In a white gold ring, if the white gold yellows, you will have the whole ring dipped (rhodium plated).

I''d stick with the white gold prongs for sure.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I may have read somewhere here that platinum prongs are more likely to shear off than WG which has a bit more " give" in the metal, WG is more likely to bend instead.
34.gif

ETA - yep Rascal I got it the wrong way round, plat will bend more instead of breaking. Good catch!

Kath

Rough_Rock
It is very similar to this but with a total carat weight of .3 from the small stones (this one is .5 I think). It''s by Christopher Designs. Do you all know where I could find more Christopher Designs ring pictures? It''s not on their web site and I haven''t had luck with Soloman Bros either.

Kathring.jpg

singer

Brilliant_Rock
I would stick with the WG prongs! I have had my ring for almost three years and I have never had a problem. Plus, it costs more money to get work done on platinum. I wouldn''t worry about it. Just get your ring insured and don''t worry about it.
emwink.gif

I found Christopher Designs'' website. It is http://christopherdesigns.com

Go to "Product Line" and click on rings OR go to "Catalogs" and you can download them and look at those as well! Hope this helps!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2006 10:19:33 AM
Author: Lorelei
I think I may have read somewhere here that platinum prongs are more likely to shear off than WG which has a bit more '' give'' in the metal, WG is more likely to bend instead.
34.gif
Lorelei, I always thought WG was more rigid, hence a WG prong would more likely snap off. And platinum is a bit softer metal, so a platinum prong could just bend back. Of course, both WG and platinum prongs could snap off if hit with enough force
2.gif

Janis

Rough_Rock
The white gold prongs on my 1 ct. solitaire are still shiny white after 29 years. They have not yellowed. One time I did catch the ring on something and loosened a prong but saw it before the diamond became loose or fell out. Other than that, the white gold prongs have been fine.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results