shape
carat
color
clarity

White Gold - For Goldsmiths or Jewelers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I upgraded my ring in 2004. My old set in yellow gold and my new ring is platinum. I have been contemplating having the old rings recast into a new band for sentimental reasons. However, for matching purposes, I wonder if it is possible for the jeweler to alloy the yellow gold of my old ring with a white metal to make a white gold band? (the only "new" part of the ring being the alloyed metal).

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yes, it’s possible, but…..

14k gold is 58% gold and 42% other things. The way you make it white, pink or whatever is by altering the makeup of those other things, known as the alloy. To convert yellow gold to white, or visa versa, it’s first necessary to remove the existing alloy and then replace it with a different recipe. Adding alloy is easy. Subtracting is hard. Sure, it’s possible, but it will involve an individual refining lot of only a few grams and the refining fees can run you a hundred dollars or more. It’s usually more than it would cost to replace the metal entirely. Most jewelers will be happy to ‘trade in’ your metal for new gold of the appropriate color and most clients prefer this because the offer is effectively for better metal, faster and cheaper. Most jewelers have never had a client actually push through with this but, if you want to do it, have your jeweler speak with their refiner about the logistics.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Neil is right on this. One should realize the strange thing about gold and its alloys. The alloys are far lighter in specific gravity so when you make 14 karat gold you have quite a bit more alloy, BY VOLUME, than you have in gold, by volume.

Its a version of a ton of feathers mixed with a ton of gold to make 12 karat gold. There sure would seem like an awful ot of feathers and very little god in such a mix. However, the weights of each ingredient would be identical. In a far less visual way, gold and its alloys are done by weight and not by volume. If volume rules were used, one would find there is is less gold in 14 karat and a lot more alloy.
Another little known "trick".

Just food for thought and sort of off the subject.....but your thread brought this to mind. I thought a few people might like to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results