shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would YOU choose..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
Put me in for a bigger center...you can save up for sidestones, or add them at a later date....besides, I agree that a full mm is much larger!

Then again...I am a size queen :)

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2005 5:19:22 PM
Author: ame
Maybe far off when I am old and can pull off the huge rock...maybe Ill make that huge rock out of my late husband?? And have it yellow or blue? I feel like we can swing that price jump. He''s a little uneasy now. I bet he''s sentimentally attached to the one I have now.

LMAO!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Going from 6mm to 7mm is hugely noticeable, and I''d choose that.

When I went looking, I tried rings on not according to their carat weight but according to their mm dimension. I wear a size 6.5.

Doing this, I determined that I really wanted a minimum of a 6mm stone. That size stone looked average on my hand without looking small. Going up to a 7mm, the look on the hand went from "run of the mill" to "wow, that''a big stone".....the 7mm was much more commanding.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I''d say it all depends on the look you want. Side stones vs. solitaire look is totally different. Just a matter of preference and feasibility. You''d be the one wearing it and since you can''t choose "both" as an option, I''d go for the look you love most. If you like the solitaire look, then by all means, the bigger stone! But if you like the 3-stone look, then shoot for that since that also means a new setting.
3.gif

anika

Shiny_Rock
Gosh thats a hard decision. Personally I think if you like diamonds the way we do; its sometimes hard to be satisfied forever. I think the more rationale decision is to go for a larger stone with an upgrade policy (in case you get the itch say 10 years from now). Funny enough, I think the look will remind you of your original e-ring more. With a three stone ring; I''d say only do it if you are sentimentally attached to what you have. Also if you end up eventually longing for a big solitaire then you''ll be stuck with $ invested in two side stones.
I know this is a bad way to look at it but what do you notice on other people''s hands; a big solitaire or a nice wide 3 stone ring? I find it hard to decide what looks good on me but always decisively know what looks good on others. If you''re really undecisive (and I''m always like this with jewelry) then go classic.
Good luck!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well we very briefly discussed it in passing and he really could care less I guess. I know he''s attached to my stone now but he doesn''t really care what I do as it is MINE. :)

We''ll see how money pans out in the next coupla weeks.

Thanks for your input!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Is the 7mm stone also a Star 129?

Have you been wearing your e-ring regularly, young lady? If not, then no new stone for you!
11.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Off and on. With all the moving stuff and fixing and glueing and cutting stuff around here I haven''t worn much all week. It''s next to impossible to get spray adhesive off of my rings or hands.

Yea the 7mm would be a Star129 as well. They are supposed to call me and tell me some pricing ideas on Monday.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2005 5:11:44 AM
Author: anika
With a three stone ring; I''d say only do it if you are sentimentally attached to what you have. Also if you end up eventually longing for a big solitaire then you''ll be stuck with $ invested in two side stones.
I know this is a bad way to look at it but what do you notice on other people''s hands; a big solitaire or a nice wide 3 stone ring?
Actually, you''d be surprised. My ring as a 3-stone gets drooled over way more than it did when it was a 7mm solitaire. I find that I tend to notice 3-stone rings on other people far more than solitaires....maybe because they are less common.

I began with the 7mm stone, and I planned to put aquas (hubby''s birthstone) on either side. Idea fell through because hard to get aquas in rich color in small size, and because it would alter how I could clean my ring (heat affects aquas).

I opted instead for two .30 diamond side stones.

Sidestones do add a lot more sparkle because there are three times as many facets for light to reflect from. It''s a different look from a solitaire.

I disagree with the notion that one is "stuck" with sidestones if one changes her mind. I opted for my 3-stone look with the idea that if I didn''t love the look or grew bored with it, I could always convert the side stones to stud earrings.
2.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would definitely go with a larger diamond -- but I just love the look of a solitaire. The more surface area to gaze into the better. Having said that, I''m sure adding sidestones would be just lovely, but for me, it wouldn''t make my heart go pitter-patter in quite the same way.

What''s a star 129? Does it have 129 facets??

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Star129 is a 129 facet RB branded stone. We bought it because we had never seen anything like it. It''s perfect. They have a slight premium, and since it''s from a B&M it''s got that price added in too. I really need to see what the price jump is going to be going up so high in size.

I looked at this as "I can add sidestones now and upgrade my center stone later" or "I can upgrade my stone and add sidestones later". That''s where I am torn. I love both ideas.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ame,
Don''t have time to research old threads......and my memory??? (isn''t always great after a long day), but didn''t you recently say in another thread that you REALLY loved your sparkly stone????
It is a beauty!!! Maybe you should just think about things for awhile longer................ there are always tons of options....

35.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Good question! Since I''m currently suffering from DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome), a full mm would be
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
That would be my next and final upgrade!!! I would go from 8.5mm to 9.5mm. Sounds about right for a 3 ct. J SI2
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I''ve done both but strictly from a financial point of view I would first upgrade the center stone. The prices keep going up so I would make the large $$ investment now. Adding two sidestones later would probably not be as much money.

I also agree with Al; sidestones give you a real visual bling and really changes the overall look. Lots of people think a center stone should stand alone. For me, it was either side stones or a diamond band - just didn''t think I would like both together on my fingers. So I ended up with the three stone and the etoile band with just a ''sprinkling'' of diamonds. I must say though that I really like a solitaire with a gorgeous diamond eternity band.

Depends on what look you are going for but sounds like you eventually want both. Tackle the most expensive first - at today''s prices. Just my .02
1.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that is a great point...I hope that if we do it it''s before prices skyrocket. I need to hear what kind of price jump this is for the size upgrade. It could be laughable or doable.

As for my stone, oh I love my stone, this new one would be probably identical only bigger. We would definitely stick to this cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results