shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Wedding Ring/Eternity Band Would You Pick?

Which band would you pick?

• Option 1 - 2mm low-set shared prong

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Option 2 - 1.5mm 4-prong (micro pave)

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty ering, OP! :)) Personally, I like #3 with the 3 pointers... it has a bit more presence and isn't overpowered by your ering. It is the largest, so it would be the best of the three to be a stand along ring, if needed.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ame|1410354334|3748310 said:
I like the original #2 actually. I like the width because it kind of echoes the width of the metal "channel" on either side of your diamond channels. I also like how the stones are set because they're more secure.

One thought would be a narrow channel set, since your shank is channel set. But if you don't want the same type of band, I understand that.

Ame, originally, I had exactly the same thought as you regarding the #2 - when I was looking at it, I liked that it did somewhat match up with the width of a channel side, but if I looked at it from a couple feet away, it really got lost with the e-ring (I know my pics don't capture this well - I'm sorry). I was surprised, but FI actually pointed that out to me - It looked more like an accent than an actual band. And, even though it has four prongs for each stone, each of those prongs is more delicate than the shared-prong prongs, so while both would be durable, the shared prong turns out to be a little more secure than the daintier band. Since FI liked the shared prong better, we stuck with that style.

I did initially think that I wanted to create a matching band with channel set band with princess cuts, but adding more metal through the channels looked a little heavy, so here we are chasing after a ring that will just look like a little band of white :)

Calliecake|1410356255|3748329 said:
I'd choose the three pointer. It looks beautiful with your engagement ring and I think it would look very pretty all on its own. It's always nice to have a wedding band that looks great on its own for those times you don't want to wear your engagement ring.

Thanks Calliecake! I'm glad you like the slightly larger version of your initial choice :) I feel very fortunate to be choosing among such pretty bands. Setting aside the 3 pointers ability to stand on its own better than the other rings (major plus!), do you think it's well proportioned? I'm quickly learning that it's hard to find a balance between wanting two rings that stand on their own, yet don't compete :)

motownmama|1410356491|3748330 said:
LOVE your ER!!! You don't want to use princess cuts for your WB?

Motownmama - thank you so much! When I first received my e-ring, I completely thought that I'd want to go with a channel set princess cut band to match the e-ring shank, but I know making a literally matching band would be too much for my finger to carry (4.2mm x 2), and in trying on channel bands, the addition of metal (given the heft of the e-ring's channels) just took on a bit of a heavy look. We could have made a super, super thin channel, but something about it just looked off...an almost but not quite match, so I'm hoping a deliberate non-match to get add a little band of all white without the metal sides might work :)

msop04|1410357148|3748336 said:
Very pretty ering, OP! :)) Personally, I like #3 with the 3 pointers... it has a bit more presence and isn't overpowered by your ering. It is the largest, so it would be the best of the three to be a stand along ring, if needed.

Thank you, Msop! I love how you inverted how I (and I'm sure others) think of rings, e.g., don't outdo the e-ring, as opposed to your thoughts about not outdo-ing the wedding ring. I really appreciate that perspective. You're totally right - in person #3 has a great deal more presence than #1, and I do like it better as a stand alone ring. I just hope it's not too much - I typically go for simple and slightly understated as a default, so I wonder if my perceiving #3 as so much more than #1 is a function of the difference between those to rings in that I'm not used to seeing so much pretty sparkle or if I would potentially be putting together a more showy look. Perhaps, the 3 pointers would shrink over time and look normal too? In which case, DSS is my friend :)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Endless Summer, The proportions of the 3 pointers look perfect with you engagement ring. I also liked the two pointer but for some reason I think the 3 pointers look better. I also like the 3 pointers as a stand alone wedding band better. It's a win-win!

I can feel your pain. It seems like such a simple decision, then you try different sizes on and your totally confused. Just take your time and pick what you think you'll stay in love with. If you are really torn don't think about it for a few days and then go back and look again.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1410378277|3748572 said:
Endless Summer, The proportions of the 3 pointers look perfect with you engagement ring. I also liked the two pointer but for some reason I think the 3 pointers look better. I also like the 3 pointers as a stand alone wedding band better. It's a win-win!

I can feel your pain. It seems like such a simple decision, then you try different sizes on and your totally confused. Just take your time and pick what you think you'll stay in love with. If you are really torn don't think about it for a few days and then go back and look again.

Calliecake - you are completely right. I really would have thought that this would be soooo simple and an easy call, but in trying on the rings, now I'm just torn between the 2.5 pointers and the 3 pointers. You and everyone that commented very much solidified that going bigger than the 2 pointers was the way to go, but the subtlety of between the two larger sizes resulted in a new trip to re-try them again. That said, I really like the 3 pointers, and they are definitely the best stand alone choice - so, definitely a win-win, as you said :) Thankfully, there's no rush, so I am going to take your advice, sleep on it, and pick when I'm actually sure. I'm just really glad that I ran the 3 pointers by you and everyone here - I know I'm going to bump up from the 2 pointers, and that alone will very likely save me from wishing I had picked a larger band down the road. Thank you so much, Calliecake!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taking your time with your decision is always the safest bet. Please come back and let us know your final decision.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
endless_summer said:
...I was wondering, which was whether the larger shared prong took away from or outdid my e-ring. The 3 pointers are much more substantial - it was amazing how much of a difference I could see between 2 pointers and 2.5 pointers, and even moreso between 2 pointers and 3 pointers :)

That is SO funny!! None of those bands can take away from your spectacular e-ring!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like option 3 best, followed by option 1. Too small and thin would be too much contrast for me - I prefer balance for this scenario, and I think 3 gives you the best balance. I will also add that contrary to popular opinion, I am afraid of pave set stones. I work and "do stuff" with my hands constantly and pave is known for its delicacy - not a good combination. There's a girl in my office who got her e-ring a month after I got mine, a huge pear set in a pave encrusted band. She's been back to the jeweler 5 times since May for lost stones, and mine, well, mine is sturdy and indelicate....in perfect condition. :cheeky: As planned.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I would have a plain fairly thin pipe cut ring that goes with the metal edges of the thick channel as my complimentary wedding band. Then I would get a sizable diamond eternity to wear on it's own. This way you'll have a wedding "set" with no clashing, keeping the focus on your ER, and a stand alone diamond band. You can also wear the plain plat band if you want a no bling look. More options that way.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1410477280|3749335 said:
Taking your time with your decision is always the safest bet. Please come back and let us know your final decision.

Calliecake, thank you - I totally took your advice. I actually went back, not once but twice, and took more pictures! I figured out that I liked the look of the 2.5 pointers (not featured bc my pics weren't good enough for you guys to see the difference when I posted) because they appeared more streamlined and the ring that they were in sat really low, so it made it look better with my e-ring. But, that ring also had more going on in the setting, so once those going into the setting that we selected, they will visually appear more like the 3's. When I was trying on the 3's, I got lost in the individual stones a but, and they were in a ring that was set even higher & sized too large for me - but, once the 3's go into the super low setting, they will appear more streamlined, be much lower, and likely won't look quite as visually large as they do now (if only because they'll sit more under my center stone) which would be perfect :) I'm going to talk to FI over the weekend, and hopefully, I'll/we'll have definitely decided by early next week.

SandyinAnaheim|1410483659|3749413 said:
endless_summer said:
...I was wondering, which was whether the larger shared prong took away from or outdid my e-ring. The 3 pointers are much more substantial - it was amazing how much of a difference I could see between 2 pointers and 2.5 pointers, and even moreso between 2 pointers and 3 pointers :)

That is SO funny!! None of those bands can take away from your spectacular e-ring!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like option 3 best, followed by option 1. Too small and thin would be too much contrast for me - I prefer balance for this scenario, and I think 3 gives you the best balance. I will also add that contrary to popular opinion, I am afraid of pave set stones. I work and "do stuff" with my hands constantly and pave is known for its delicacy - not a good combination. There's a girl in my office who got her e-ring a month after I got mine, a huge pear set in a pave encrusted band. She's been back to the jeweler 5 times since May for lost stones, and mine, well, mine is sturdy and indelicate....in perfect condition. :cheeky: As planned.

SandyinAnaheim, you just made me blush :) I agree with you! Absolutely, I'm going with larger than 2pt stones (you guys really helped me be far more confident in that decision) - I think slightly larger would be a better balance between the two rings, such that the wedding ring won't disappear for lack of better words. To be honest, as I'm sure you could tell from above, I think I'm very much leaning towards the 3 pt stones. I wouldn't ever want larger to wear with the e-ring, which is a major bonus + can be worn on it's own, which would be awesome.

And, yep - I am also scared of pave bands, at least as eternity style bands. I do think that they are beautiful & so very elegant, but I do too much with my hands to have such a delicate setting for daily wear. Skill of the setter is a huge contributor to the durability of them, but for me, no matter how skilled, I'd eventually harm it as an eternity band.

Asscherhalo_lover|1410484208|3749424 said:
Honestly, I would have a plain fairly thin pipe cut ring that goes with the metal edges of the thick channel as my complimentary wedding band. Then I would get a sizable diamond eternity to wear on it's own. This way you'll have a wedding "set" with no clashing, keeping the focus on your ER, and a stand alone diamond band. You can also wear the plain plat band if you want a no bling look. More options that way.

Asscherhalo, I do very much plan on getting a very thin plain band that matches the width of one of the e-ring's channels as closely as I can. It's a practical thing for me to have on every level from when I know I can't baby the bands to when I want a simpler look, stack all three together, or I'm traveling. I know the shared-prong isn't perfectly matched, but in trying on all possible ring styles, it's the one that I've gravitated over time. I thought I wanted matchy-matchy when I first received the e-ring, realized I couldn't handle the width so shifted to plain band, then onto pave, and finally...the shared prong was just a light, bright, line of white. I'm totally ahead of myself and that would be years down the road, but the big eternity band plan is...if I ever have a baby and can't wear either of my rings anymore, then maybe we could go that route to double for the e-ring and wedding band. If ever I can fit into the original 'set' again, then it would make an awesome RHR, on whichever finger it may fit :) One can dream, right? lol

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I finally made a decision, and we're going with the 3 pointers!

I was having trouble deciding because the 2.5 & 3 point diamond bands that I was trying on were each set higher and a little bit differently from the shared prong ring that we had settled on. It was difficult for me to envision how the 3 pointers would look once they were set low and in a shared prong setting. So…I took a cue from Paulav and made a field trip to Tiffany & Co. to get a better sense of how the final ring would turn out. The field trip was a major success - when I put their 3 point eternity band on, I couldn't believe that it was even a struggle to decide. You guys were totally right about the proportions. And, the folks I'm working with had said that the 3's would take on the look of the 2.5's (which I loved and was even starting to lean towards) once they were set low in the shared prong ring - they were right too! I took pics and confirmed that the band we're making will sit in the same way as the T&C band with my ring, so we're a go!

Thank you guys so much for all of your help and input, and just for kicks, here are pics from the field trip :)

3_pointers_-_7.jpg

3_pointers_-_8.jpg

3_pointers_-_9.jpg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Endless Summer, They look perfect together! Isn't it a relief when you know you are making the right decision? It never ceases to amaze me how stressful it is making a jewelry purchase. There are just way too many choice!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks beautiful! Excellent choice! :clap:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! They do look perfect together! :love: They look perfectly balanced. Hope you enjoy it and post pictures when yours is done.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1410911784|3752204 said:
Endless Summer, They look perfect together! Isn't it a relief when you know you are making the right decision? It never ceases to amaze me how stressful it is making a jewelry purchase. There are just way too many choice!

Thank you, Calliecake! And, yes, OMG - you're so right! It was such an amazing sense of relief to put on that 3 point shared prong band and not even think twice about it anymore. I almost laughed at myself for worrying so much about whether the 3 point would appear too prominent when I first saw how dainty and understated the band was. I even wondered if I was really looking at a 2 point band until I divided the tcw by the number of stones in my head, just to be sure :) Generally, I don't have so much trouble, but picking something to wear for years and years and really wanting to pick something that I wouldn't want to change for sentimental reasons is a lot of pressure! I'm just really happy to be excited about the ring, instead of anxious about deciding which one to go with :)

junebug17|1410912342|3752208 said:
Looks beautiful! Excellent choice! :clap:

Junebug, thank you! I really appreciate it!

SandyinAnaheim|1410916784|3752238 said:
I love it! They do look perfect together! :love: They look perfectly balanced. Hope you enjoy it and post pictures when yours is done.

SandyinAnaheim, thank you so much! I never would have guessed that going non-matchy could work with my ring, but I'm so glad that the choice was presented to me, as I never would have thought to mix the shapes on my own :) I will absolutely post pics when the ring is complete!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results