shape
carat
color
clarity

Which stone?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems said:
I'm intrigued, because I was thinking of a ruby cab and moonstone combination for my own pendant.

I'll take a wild stab, jadeite?

It is not jadeite.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
crasru said:
Plastic! It could be in any color or form. Or glass - moonstone is soft so the pendant can be set in glass; it has to be worn with care anyhow.
Of interest, I just read that Art Deco was the period of Prohibition - I never realized it.
OK, I shall make my last bet... lab-grown opal.

It is not plastic, glass or opal. You are, however, close when you mentioned it being set in glass. And, since I can't stand keeping secrets, I'll show you the inspiration piece.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Here is the inspiration piece. The ring around the diamond that looks white in this picture is actually a clear quartz crystal. My jeweler's solution to the problem of finding a clear quartz washer is to use a synthetic sapphire watch crystal. The listing for the inspiration piece (with more pictures) can be found here.

float.1L.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely and elegant, and a really good idea!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
crasru said:
James Meyer's settings could be great, but he does not do custom work...

Just a small correction for others reading - JM does indeed do custom work, in fact that is all he does - I think what you meant Crasru, is that he is not currently taking client's outside stones for custom work.

Kismet said:
Here is the inspiration piece. The ring around the diamond that looks white in this picture is actually a clear quartz crystal. My jeweler's solution to the problem of finding a clear quartz washer is to use a synthetic sapphire watch crystal. The listing for the inspiration piece (with more pictures) can be found here.

kismet, I really like this idea - it looks as if the outer ring of diamonds is floating on the neck, very unique!
It also reminds me of those disc pendants, of which Flygirl has one or two - does anyone recall that vendor :?:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Kismet, you've created such a fun game! Not only will you have to show us how this wonderful design progresses along with the grand unveiling, but now I think you 'll have to keep designing new pieces with an element of surprise! Your design sounds way cool and elegant - what inspired you? And you decided to go the syn sapphire route because its more true to the period?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is really cool and actually, I'll spring for the synthetic sapphire crystal because it's quite scratch resistant and easy to procure.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Have you decided which stone you will use, I looked back over your posts but didn't see that you had.
I like the way the centre appears to float and I think the Moonstone will be perfect for that piece.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
crasru & lovinggems: Thanks! When I saw that pendant on the antique site I knew I had to have one like it.

minousbijoux: I didn't design anything really, I'm just copying from an antique piece. The disc on the original is made out of quartz but I'm considering synthetic sapphire because it's easy and inexpensive but also appropriate for the period.

chrono: I'm leaning towards the synthetic route as well, especially since a natural piece would have to be custom cut and would add $400-500 to the price

klewis: I haven't decided yet. In fact I'll probably end up sending both stones to my jeweler and having him do some mockups. I'm currently leaning towards the moonstone mainly because I wouldn't have to worry about pavilion depth with it.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Well Peter has received both my stones and has sent me some photoshopped pictures so that we can play with the proportions of the crystal and the halo.

First up is the picture of the loose stones together.

AJMoonTourLoose.JPG

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
The pictures show 2 versions of the pendant. The *pend1 pictures have a similar proportion to the original piece and the *pend2 pictures have a wider expanse of crystal. The version 1 would end up being about 3/4" in diameter and the version 2 would be about 1 1/6" in diameter.

When I was playing around drawing circles on paper to try and simulate the crystal and halo I thought I would want a 3-4mm expanse of crystal but now looking at the photoshopped pictures I'm kind of leaning towards the smaller crystal.

MoonPend1 copy.jpg

MoonPend2 copy.jpg

TourPend1 copy.jpg

TourPend2.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
And here are both stones showing a 4mm and a 5mm crystal exposure. I think this might be too much as the stones look a bit lost in the center. Diamond halo is sill 3 pointers.

MoonPend3.jpg

TourPend3 copy.jpg

MoonPend4.jpg

TourPend4.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
K: I'm probably going to exasperate you with indecision, but I honestly think they are all really, really nice and you won't go wrong with any of them. That said, I would agree that the smaller version would look great because it is going to be a high impact piece. I love them all!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will the crystal be white? I thought you were considering sapphire? I looked again and think the 2mm is my favorite because it makes the stone pop more.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I would choose the 3MM crystal with the three pointers and the cab. The proportions seem spot on perfect together (as long as the photoshop was done to scale ;-) )

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1289339514|2759455 said:
Will the crystal be white? I thought you were considering sapphire? I looked again and think the 2mm is my favorite because it makes the stone pop more.

The crystal will be clear so that the center stone looks like it's floating in a halo of diamonds.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 mm. You know, after all discussions, I think that the blue tourmaline looks better than the moonstone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preference is the moonstone (in keeping with the design period), and smaller 3 mm gap because the larger gaps made the moonstone look so tiny (lost) in proportion.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Per Peter, the pendant should be finished and shipped out on Monday. So hopefully I'll have it in hand by Tuesday. :appl:

I ended up going with the tourmaline and the 3mm gap. Here's a work-in-process picture. The tourmaline is just sitting on the bezel, the crystal isn't in place and neither are the diamonds but it gives a good representation of the proportion and size.

kiz-floatpend-wip.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I say moonstone too. It is more true to the period.

--- Laurie

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I much prefer your option where it's as close to the original design you posted. It's more balanced. If you show too much of the crystal halo then it starts to take over.

In terms of which stone? I like both but the uniqueness of the Moonstone is pulling me. The Tourmaline looks gorgeous but doesn't look as bespoke somehow. The Moonstone is also much more art deco!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Could you do it double-sided? Moonstone one side, tourmaline the other?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see the pendant, I always look forward to seeing your new pieces.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad that you chose the tourmaline. Can't wait to see your pictures.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that pendant and I love rock crystal incorporated into old Edwardian and Deco pieces. I think you can't go wrong with either stone. So what if the tourmaline isn't the right time period, it really jumps out at you in their, especially surrounded by that soft milky quartz.

I saw a halo like that, with a huge airline, but two diamonds on each side of the center stone, breaching the gap of the airline. It was on GSN (Gem Shopping Network who has nice, but expensive semi-mounts). The halo was done with very small delicate diamonds. I wish I had a photo.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Kismet|1291401048|2786433 said:
Per Peter, the pendant should be finished and shipped out on Monday. So hopefully I'll have it in hand by Tuesday. :appl:

I ended up going with the tourmaline and the 3mm gap. Here's a work-in-process picture. The tourmaline is just sitting on the bezel, the crystal isn't in place and neither are the diamonds but it gives a good representation of the proportion and size.
I have no idea how I missed this thread but your pendant looks very cool. I can't wait to see pictures of it finished!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1291422778|2786811 said:
Could you do it double-sided? Moonstone one side, tourmaline the other?

Interesting idea, but probably not with these particular stones. The tourmaline is deep and the moonstone is high domed so it would make a really thick and unwieldy pendant. It might work with 2 flatter cabs or a flat cab and a smaller faceted stone.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
JF and LD, I really wanted to like the moonstone in this design but in the end it just looked blah to me. Maybe if I had a nicer moonstone it would have wowed me more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results