shape
carat
color
clarity

Which setting to go on a H color center stone?

phtp

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Even though my account is new, I've been lurking around for awhile now trying to find the right engagement ring.
I would love peoples opinion on which setting to go with. I've narrowed it down to either the one from whiteflash or BGD.
For the center stone I'm thinking of getting a 1 carat, a H&A cut either from whiteflash or BGD Signature/ BGD Blue, color H and clarity around SI1 to VS2.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/ritani-classic-split-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-2237.htm
Or
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/split-shank-truth-18k-white-gold-5665w18
The side stones on this setting is F/G, would this, sorry for a lack of a better word, overpower the H color center stone?

Thanks in advance.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know usually they say the accent stones should be about 1 color grade off, but an H&A faces up whiter (especially a BGD blue) so I would think it would be just fine

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I'm not enough of an expert to comment on the sidestone issue, but I did want to say that I have an H VS2 and love the combo -it's plenty white for my eyes :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, the H will be fine in either setting! I fully expected the Ritani to cost more because of the designer name, but it is actually less! I'd probably go for that one, but both are beautiful!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
It's hard to tell color of very small diamonds. But if you get an H, you ask the vendor if they think the color difference will show, and you could also inquire about getting the mounting made with stones that match the color of your center. People with J or K color diamonds have sometimes done that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
phtp|1352601082|3303084 said:
Thanks everyone for the quick response.

I added another setting to the list:
From james allen.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/18k-white-gold-split-shank-knife-edge-pave-engagement-ring-.html

Maybe with the combination of this diamond but it's hard to tell based on the certificate and without the picture.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond-1529255.asp

I do not like this setting as well as the others. The shank is too wide at the lower half, for one thing.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally find the JA option to appear very 'blocky' - it doesn't have the beautiful flowy feel to it that the other 2 options do.

Would you prefer more of a contemporary split shank look, or a more Victorian/embellished design? I see the BGD as the contemporary version and the Ritani has a more antique (but not "antique"!) feel to it with the intricate details. Are those details typical of your jewelry style?

Both are lovely but I think I prefer the BGD one for the clean lines. In my recent setting search, I wanted really badly to like the antique settings, but just knew that I can't fight my preferences and I am definitely a clean lined person! (having said that, I did pick a fairly detailed setting!!)

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the BGD ring. It's my understanding that they will match the pave to match your center stone. Very nice choices!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would leave the JA out of the race. I agree with the PP, if she has a more antique style i would pick the Ritani, if she has a more modern style I would pick the BGD.

I can attest those Ritani settings are so delicate. Even more so then the pictures show.

phtp

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input.

With that said I think both settings are suitable and will depend on where I get the diamond. If I get the diamond from BGD i'll get the setting there and vice versa.

I'm flip flopping between diamonds and options to go with. Would a 1.2 I color SI1/VS2 be more noticeable than a 1.0x Carat H color SI1/VS2?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
phtp|1352651401|3303340 said:

With that said I think both settings are suitable and will depend on where I get the diamond. If I get the diamond from BGD i'll get the setting there and vice versa.

I'm flip flopping between diamonds and options to go with. Would a 1.2 I color SI1/VS2 be more noticeable than a 1.0x Carat H color SI1/VS2?

You were planning on getting the I as a BGD blue, right? IMHO I would prefer the I in that case, but thats just me. The blue should offset the I color, and that size difference is for sure noticeable. Also, i think flour is so neat!

phtp

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1352651699|3303347 said:

You were planning on getting the I as a BGD blue, right? IMHO I would prefer the I in that case, but thats just me. The blue should offset the I color, and that size difference is for sure noticeable. Also, i think flour is so neat!

I was planning on getting the 1.0x Carat H color VS2 but now that you mentioned it's noticeable I might lean towards the I color 1.2x

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
phtp|1352651955|3303350 said:
nielseel|1352651699|3303347 said:

I was planning on getting the 1.0x Carat H color VS2 but now that you mentioned it's noticeable I might lean towards the I color 1.2x

dont get my wrong a 1 ct is also large, and not a ad idea at all. but I just mean if youre considering the I, I think thats a good idea as well because the size would make a difference. not like the difference between a .5 and a 1.2, but still noticeable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results