shape
carat
color
clarity

Which setting for the zircon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I just bought one of the stones off of the Finewater Flash - the blue zircon. I love it - Portuguese cuts aren''t my favorite, but the color is almost neon and just beautiful indoors. I can''t wait to see it in sunlight.

Before getting it, I was going to go to my local jeweler and get it put into a simple 6-prong Tiffany setting, since it''s pretty big (3.03 ct., 7.9 mm), and I have small fingers (3.5). But then I saw Katie''s gorgeous Julia Taylor ring (Link) and I''m wondering if I should do something similar (thinner bezel if possible, and maybe some light engraving on the shank). Which should I do?

I was also thinking that if I decided to put the zircon in the Tiffany setting, I might ask Julia to set my Barry tourmaline oval in a similar setting to Katie''s. Do you think that might look better? (Still want engraving even with the green tourm).

Help please, and thanks in advance!

BEGBlueZircon.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the green tourmaline

BEGBarryGreenTourm.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Katie''s Julia Taylor ring (Katie, I hope you don''t mind me borrowing your picture of your gorgeous ring!)

KatiesRing.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you put the Tourmaline in an E/W setting? I bet that would
30.gif
amazing!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Ditto D&T, that tourmaline would be gorgeous east west.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I think I''d like to see the zircon in a more open setting, like a Tiffany or lotus like setting, maybe even a semi bezel, rather than a full one. But that''s just me! It is a beautiful zircon though, it glows!
30.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think with that big stones and your small hands a pronged setting would suit the zircon best.

I like the idea of the tourmaline in a Julia Kay Taylor setting.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I really like the idea of that zircon in a bezel as the stone is quite large and that shape of a shank (reminds of a split shank) would nicely connect a large(ish) stone to a delicate band. But, you should check with the person who will set it if they are skilled/experienced enough to bezel a zircon without damaging it, as they''re prone to chipping and not the best candidates for bezels.

As far as tourmaline goes, I''m not sure a bezel would do him good, as it could (especially in white metal) get too dark - green tourmalines are not good candidates for bezeling, but for this reason instead of chipping. And it''s particular cut (and a bit of a unusual outline), could also cause problems during bezeling.

Just some things to consider before you move on
2.gif

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm I think the setting katie has would look great with the Zircon!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the person setting is skilled with setting soft gemstones, I’ll bezel the zircon to give it an added measure of protection in a ring since it is a soft stone.
As for the tourmaline, it looks dark in tone and I’m concerned a white metal setting will show too much contrast and make it appear even darker. This is also a stone I would not bezel unless you do something semi-bezel EW style.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your responses! I''m actually a little torn right now - I love the color of the zircon, but seeing it in person, I''m realizing...I really really dislike Portuguese cuts. So I''m on the fence about returning it right now....I had another idea for setting the green tourmaline - this one - but was "rejected" by the vendor, lol (he didn''t think it would work with such a large stone (it''s 2.07 ct., 8.5 x 7.2) and my finger size, or prong-set. He declined the project, so I''m looking for something else.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 9:10:25 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Thanks everyone for your responses! I''m actually a little torn right now - I love the color of the zircon, but seeing it in person, I''m realizing...I really really dislike Portuguese cuts. So I''m on the fence about returning it right now....I had another idea for setting the green tourmaline - this one - but was ''rejected'' by the vendor, lol (he didn''t think it would work with such a large stone (it''s 2.07 ct., 8.5 x 7.2) and my finger size, or prong-set. He declined the project, so I''m looking for something else.

Well if you don''t like the zircon, than return it. It is money you can spend on another stone you like more. That kind of sucks that you were "rejected." But looking at that setting I could see where the problem would be. The side stuff might end up being too low to see. I know there is a perfect setting out there though.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
BEG, I''m not a big fan of Porguguese cuts either - just curious, does it have a tilt window? The color is amazing though.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 2:15:26 AM
Author: rupinder
If you want that your dreams come true. Mystical Power is a kind of peridot gem. It is used to help dreams come reality. This stone is believed to attract love and wealth. It also dispels to negative thoughts and give you peace and relief.Peridot gem
Here we go .......

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your responses! I''m actually a little torn right now - I love the color of the zircon, but seeing it in person, I''m realizing...I really really dislike Portuguese cuts. So I''m on the fence about returning it right now....I had another idea for setting the green tourmaline - this one - but was ''rejected'' by the vendor, lol (he didn''t think it would work with such a large stone (it''s 2.07 ct., 8.5 x 7.2) and my finger size, or prong-set. He declined the project, so I''m looking for something else.
i do not like portuguese cuts either. i had a WONDERFUL seafoam tourmaline from dan, but i just couldn''t get over the cut. i have a really small - 5.5mm - greenish blue tourmaline in a port. cut from rick and i love it. i think because it''s so small it looks like a fireball. but, not a fan of PC in larger sizes.
7.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooo you can send it my way. I love portuguese cuts and it''s gorgeous!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 9:18:11 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

Well if you don''t like the zircon, than return it. It is money you can spend on another stone you like more. That kind of sucks that you were ''rejected.'' But looking at that setting I could see where the problem would be. The side stuff might end up being too low to see. I know there is a perfect setting out there though.

Ah well, it''s ok. Since I''m back in Chicago, I was planning on going to my local store to look at settings. I''ve always brought stones and settings to them, but last time I was there, they had some really pretty ones, so one of those might work for the tourm.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 9:57:40 PM
Author: cellentani
BEG, I''m not a big fan of Porguguese cuts either - just curious, does it have a tilt window? The color is amazing though.

Neither am I, as it turns out
3.gif
The color really is gorgeous, and I don''t see a tilt window. It''s just totally a preference thing in this case, I guess

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 10:01:27 PM
Author: Gailey
Date: 8/18/2009 2:15:26 AM

Author: rupinder

If you want that your dreams come true. Mystical Power is a kind of peridot gem. It is used to help dreams come reality. This stone is believed to attract love and wealth. It also dispels to negative thoughts and give you peace and relief.Peridot gem
Here we go .......

Reported it. Please everyone don''t click on the link - it''s a spammer.
29.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 10:04:42 PM
Author: karee888

i do not like portuguese cuts either. i had a WONDERFUL seafoam tourmaline from dan, but i just couldn''t get over the cut. i have a really small - 5.5mm - greenish blue tourmaline in a port. cut from rick and i love it. i think because it''s so small it looks like a fireball. but, not a fan of PC in larger sizes.
7.gif

I can see what you mean about it looking like a fireball in a smaller size! I love the size of this stone, but it is on the larger side ... the color though! Sigh

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 10:14:48 PM
Author: Catmom
Oooo you can send it my way. I love portuguese cuts and it''s gorgeous!!

Well if Gary lets me return it, it''ll be available again
2.gif

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It''s SUCH a pretty stone :)

I had emailed Gary when I was too late at getting onto his website when he updated it and he told me he only had one piece of rough left and that it was already taken but that I was the first person in line in case it fell through for some reason or other.

But ....

He just emailed me saying you will be returning this one and he offered it to me! I''m so happy!
5.gif

I hope I am not upsetting anyone who may have wanted it as well
4.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There you go; never ever be afraid or worried to return a stone. There''s always someone else waiting in line for it, hoping the vendor will relist the stone.

BEG,
That setting is gorgeous. I''m sorry the maker doesn''t think it''s a good idea for the tourmaline.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I have to thank you for not liking it hehe
3.gif
It will be in good hands I promise
9.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Deia, Gary told me he had another buyer waiting, and I''m so glad it''s you! It''s really stunning - the color is just beautiful, and I''m happy it''s going to a good home
1.gif
Please keep us posted on what you do with it!

Chrono, totally right. And the setting is really awesome, right? I guess I''ll just have to find another stone (a smaller one) for it
11.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEG, not to threadjack, but your kitten is a DOLL!!!! So cute!
30.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:52:52 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
BEG, not to threadjack, but your kitten is a DOLL!!!! So cute!
30.gif

Thanks Lauren! I just want to squish him
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results