shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Oval is better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jkchan

Rough_Rock
Can anyone out there tell me which of the following OVALS is better with the stats available?

Carat: 3.02
Color: E
Clarity: SI1
Dimen: 11.83 x 7.69 x 4.41
Table: 60%
Depth: 5733
Cut: Excellent

Carat: 3.0
Color: D
Clarity: SI1
Dimen: 10.59 x 7.61 x 5.37
Table: ??
Depth: ??
Cut: Excellent

THX SO MUCH - OVALOVER
18.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry jean, there is no way to pick one over the other with only the information you provided.

surfrgrl

Rough_Rock
The specs on the first one listed are within the parameters for an ideal cut oval and the length to width ratio is very nice, in the mid-range, where I prefer it to be. Hard to tell much about the second stone as there is little info, but the length/width ratio (which is simply the length divided by the width) is a little "fat" for my taste. Meaning the stone is fatter, rather than on the longer, skinnier side.

Which stone is "better?" You really have to take a look and see if the stone floats your boat, so to speak. Do they have a "bow tie?" Some people steer clear of them, some people don''t mind them, as long as the stone is beautiful in other ways in their eyes. It''s all in what YOU like.

Take a look at the Diamond Tutorial on the first page of Pricescope and go to the Fancy Shapes Chart. That gives you some parameters to go by. Also, check out the Fancy Shape Selector on www.gemappraisers.com That is a great tool to let you see the difference in the look of stones with different length/width ratios.

JC

Shiny_Rock
Jean,

Honestly, I find that customers have a much easier time selecting an oval when they have been given the opportunity to view the diamond. The decision on buying an oval can come down to how significant to "bow-tie" effect is to how well proportioned the oval is as well. Shape as well as sparkle obviously play a big part. I would sugest that you try and view each diamond or possibly get digital images to show you more of what you''ll need to know in order to make a sound decision. At that point each diamond will make the decision for you. Good luck....

jkchan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. I was planning to look at the two stones this week, but I''m not sure now because I didn''t realize that they were both certified by EGL and not GIA. I''ve been told that EGL is not as strict in their grading as GIA. Any thoughts?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The final answer cannot be given from the facts you provided, but we can tell yo something. The first stone shows its size well and the other is somewhat deeper and a bit smaller in appearance. I would bet #2 has a thicker girdle, but we don''t know that for certain.

I prefer a diamond just over a carat weight hurdle. In case of a small chip later on, the weight may remain above the crucial 3ct mark even if the diamond is repaired. This mitigates the loss. If a 3.00ct diamond is chipped and the weight becomes 2.99ct, there is a more significant value loss. Its a small point, but has its importance in the scheme of things.

You need to see both diamonds. Obviously, the prettier stone is a better choice. WHne it comes to diamonds, pretty is a very powerful deciding factor.

Labs are different. Don''t worry much with D/E colors because all labs are pretty much the same in the very uppr range. By the time one gets to H/I/J/K, it is anyone''s bet that the lab story is more chancy than scientific.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For size the first gets the vote, of course. And then... if the D color might have been attractive - that holds for GIA reports
11.gif
- more as an abstract concept, really, not from practical reasons since I''d be in trouble if asked to tell E from D!

Take a look, get to see some F and Gs too if not done already.

Aside bow tie and weight points mentioned above on the thread, these are Si1 and that may mean you would find the inclusions in some examples bothersome. Without pictures or even as little as clarity plots at hand - there is no way to start talking about that
7.gif

Just my 0.2. If it is not allot of trouble seeing these, perhaps it is a good idea - the more diamonds you get to see, the better your final decission. Talking helps, but it can''t do it all this far
2.gif

jkchan

Rough_Rock
Wow - I''ve learned so much from this site. Never thought of the possibility of chips and reduction in carat size when repairing. I will take a look at both of these stones.

By the way, what do you think of Faint flourescence in a G-I color stone?

Thanks again for the valuable advice.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Truly "faint" UV fluorescence will not alter the perception of color in the G/H range. Maybe a machine could measure some alteration, but I strongly doubt your eyes would confirm it.

Avoid diamonds with "yellow" UV fluorescence unless you are buying a diamond that is supposed to look yellow, like a fancy yellow stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results