shape
carat
color
clarity

Which of these two for a Halo setting I vs G (pics)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Mark T cushion has ideal performance. So it will be able to go head to head with the BN on performance. So that's a non issue. The issues are that for size and color the BN beats the BE. This is true. But both will look stunning in a halo. My problem with the heart and arrows is... it will look like a round in a cushion shaped halo (very common to stick a round in a different shaped halo these days). So for me, I'd want the Mark T because it will look very different from that.

We have a lot of Aussie posters. I suggest you start a thread asking "Custom Halo Settings in AUS experiences"... the reason I say this is because over the years I have not seen one halo setting from an AUS jeweler than can match (never mind beat) any of our jewelers on here except for one outfit in New Zealand (not AUS but closeish) and they retired.

If you do want to go for a local jeweler, and I can understand the desire you need to do a lot of reading on pave and look at a lot of pave pictures so that you know what to look for (and that takes time, trust me, as I have done it) under a loupe and how to recognize correctly done true "handmade"-- you need to ask the definition of this it varies from jeweler to jeweler drastically-- from something else.

And again, the majority of local jewelers here in the US can't do it. And I've never seen a good one out of AUS in my 8 years on these boards... usually we get people returning or redoing their settings with our PS jewelers.

That said... http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/grace-classic-micro-pave-halo-enagement-ring-bpid-58-18.html is what I recommend you get. It's got proven quality. If there is an issue with it that is BE's fault, I would assume they would pay for the shipping. But yes, if there is an issue with it that is your fault, you would have to find a good local bench for repairs (Garry Holloway might be able to help you there), or send it back to ERD.

So it is a tough choice.

heyyoumob

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy.

I spoke with the GF, being in-direct, and she actually doesn't mind the round brilliant at all, she just prefers the shape of the cushion ( I actally contemplated getting a round brilliant and putting it in a cushion halo,as you mentioned).
She likes to be slightly different.
But as you say, the round brilliant in a cushion halo becoming more and more common, makes the H&A cushion idea go against the plan of being a little unique!
I think that both in Aus are unique, not so much the setting but the quality of diamond.
BUT pound for pound the larger H&N is appealing.
As you say, I have a tough decision, but I'm lucky as I have the idea of a setting I know she'l like, its now a matter of choosing which of two excellent options to take.

heyyoumob

Rough_Rock
Also, the BN is .1mm roughly bigger on each side, but its .47 mm deeper. Would one notice the difference much?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Everyone has their own taste ... would you be willing to actually show her the two diamonds and ask her which one she likes more?

I adore Mark but I would pick the BN Signature Cushion over his new line of Modern Cushions. I haven't seen his new cushion in real life so my next trip to NYC .. I am going to pop in and take a look and reserve judgement until then. H&A don't look that obvious in real life .. you will be surprised how it shows up in photos but not in real life. I really believe that the BN Signature Cushion with a beautiful cushion shaped halo will look fantastic and is the way to go.

As you mentioned, you gf dodesn't like rounds for the shape and has nothing to do with the pattern. I don't like round MRB because of the skinny arrows combined with the round shape but I love old european cuts.

On the topic of Blue Nile settings, I don't have any experiences with them and it will be interesting to hear the bad experiences Gyspy had with them .. don't think she posted about them before. I recall seeing several posts recently from happy Blue Nile setting customers. However, I am inclined to go with either a "brand name" or one of the vendors we know for the setting. I am also with you on perhaps trying to find a local vendor. I had to go back to NYC every time I needed something done with my rings ... I have some stuff that hasn't been fixed forever since I didn't take it to my local jeweler.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I was just reading that she liked AVCs ... so I am going to throw a few true antique options out here.

In some pictures ... the shape looks wonky and others it looks fine.
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-02ct-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-h-vs2.html#.VFZSlDTF9Zo

Really pretty
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-27ct-oec-egl-k-vs1.html#.VFZSszTF9Zo

If you like these ... oldworlddiamonds is an option to look except they have horrid photos and you will need to reach out to Adam to find you the right diamond.
http://oldworlddiamonds.com/

I didn't see where you are actually from? Assume Aussie based on some of the other posts.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not my personal experience with the BN settings. I was actually going to buy a couple second hand when I did some searching and found out that people were complaining about durability and finish. I was surprised by that. I still might buy one second hand, but I don't know that I would pay full price. And halos are problematic as it is, so I personally wouldn't tempt fate there.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
heyyoumob|1414927444|3776302 said:
Also, the BN is .1mm roughly bigger on each side, but its .47 mm deeper. Would one notice the difference much?

Not a huge difference; go to the diamond database website and you can put in the dimensions and compare.

If you are considering a true antique cushion, here are a couple in (my opinion) fantastic halo settings:

This is a beautiful cushion, I love the facet pattern, GIA K and great size 6.91 x 6.31:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/ava-halo-engagement-ring.html#.VFbizth0zIU

This was done by 23rd street Jewelers- the quality of the setting is awesome:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/1-12ct-est-old-mine-cut-halo-ring.html#.VFbkqNh0zIU

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not really. .2 is a visual difference.

heyyoumob

Rough_Rock
Ok, so I showed her some side by side pics and vids of a modern cushion vs the H+A (Brelia)
Also the pics at the start of this thread of the mar t vs the X factor modern
Slight preference for the modern, and even the X factor over the mark t, preferred the larger table. (Not sure this translates to much once set and on a finger, probably only notice the difference through a loupe??
Anyway, she also said that as she doesn't wear other ring etc, that if in doubt, go the bigger one (LOL)

Anyway, today is decision day, and get an email from BN offering 10% off, so that means that either the mark T or BN made up with the ring will come in at the same price.

I guess I'm lucky in that both are great options.
BN has confirmed that it's eye clean and not milky. Can I take their word in this? (Obviously it can be returns if that's ghe case, but it's hard when I'm in Aus and I'm getting the stone sent to BE)
Is their anything else I should be wary of with the BN seeing as I can't obtain a picture of the actual stone?
Are the BN signatures having ideal light performance?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The BN signature line are very well cut diamonds and personally I am not concerned about performance. I am also not worried about not seeing a photo because of them are consistent to the most naked eyes.

A word of caution ... large tables are generally not preferred. Want to avoid the airplane landing pad!

heyyoumob

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1415078631|3777192 said:
The BN signature line are very well cut diamonds and personally I am not concerned about performance. I am also not worried about not seeing a photo because of them are consistent to the most naked eyes.

A word of caution ... large tables are generally not preferred. Want to avoid the airplane landing pad!

What would you calssify as a large table?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer under 65. But it depends on the crown height too.

heyyoumob

Rough_Rock
aset1_01gvs2.jpg

Is that too much green in the ASET?

Im probably still going to go for the .92 Mark T, I dont think the small table will be noticable in real life. And its much more unique.
or the BN H+A.

Waiting on images of another X factor, though but think it will have to be better than the one at the top of this post.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don't like that diamond. Too much green and table is way too big.

I actually like my tables in the mid-50s for a modern cushion.

CalmerPalmer

Rough_Rock
What are the dimensions of the 1.2 G? If it's not too different from the Mark T, the Mark T would still be my favorite.

heyyoumob

Rough_Rock
Sorry, 6.05 x 6.05 x 4.something.
Almost the same size, but corner to corner would be a bit smaller in the T.
Thoughts on the X factor aset?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Are the inclusions visible on the G?

heyyoumob

Rough_Rock
Its a VS2, and I believe it's eye clean (it was one of my coinditions)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mark T for me. But the 1.2 is a nice stone. Just not as nice.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd advise getting the setting made in the US at Brilliantly Engaged or somewhere the others recommend. Halos here (in Australia) are expensive by comparison and mostly really really badly made.

heyyoumob

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1415162923|3777753 said:
I'd advise getting the setting made in the US at Brilliantly Engaged or somewhere the others recommend. Halos here (in Australia) are expensive by comparison and mostly really really badly made.

It is, exactly that.. Thanks!

EmmaStan

Rough_Rock
I would say the diamond on the right, great shape!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Where did you land?

heyyoumob

Rough_Rock
I've gone with the Mark T.
Same similar spread, ideal light characteristics swayed me.
Ring being made as we speak.
Thanks all for your help,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results