shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Metal For Carvings/Filagree Work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
I''ve decided to go ahead with that Stuller band & wondered what your thoughts were regarding which metal would be more durable with that kind of work? Often times when I see antique or vintage peices, sometimes the patterns are rubbed off. Ok, I may not be around long enough to notice any wear on the ring.
28.gif
9.gif
Would you think that 14K would be ok or would you choose Platinum? In 14K, the wt. is 4gr & in platinum around 6. Not a big difference here, but the price is saying something else. Its $700 difference.
23.gif
29.gif
39.gif
I''m a bit confused as to what to do. I mean, I dont want to cheapen out on the ring itself when there''s so much money put into the diamonds. If there was a strong opinion on durability then I would do platinum, but if not, then I''m most likely doing the gold one. It does not come in 18K white in the 1.25ct range. I have no idea why, but it does in the .75 version.

Judy
:)

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 5:56:13 PM
Author:ccuheartnurse
Hi All,
I''ve decided to go ahead with that Stuller band & wondered what your thoughts were regarding which metal would be more durable with that kind of work? Often times when I see antique or vintage peices, sometimes the patterns are rubbed off. Ok, I may not be around long enough to notice any wear on the ring.
28.gif
9.gif
Would you think that 14K would be ok or would you choose Platinum? In 14K, the wt. is 4gr & in platinum around 6. Not a big difference here, but the price is saying something else. Its $700 difference.
23.gif
29.gif
39.gif
I''m a bit confused as to what to do. I mean, I dont want to cheapen out on the ring itself when there''s so much money put into the diamonds. If there was a strong opinion on durability then I would do platinum, but if not, then I''m most likely doing the gold one. It does not come in 18K white in the 1.25ct range. I have no idea why, but it does in the .75 version.

Judy
:)
I have a ring set that I was advised to go with Platinum for because of the French or fishtail carvings. White gold or 14K will be polished more and I was told the engravings would eventually rub away. I heard this from about 5 or 6 jewelers so I am thinking it must be so. I went with Platinum for my three ring set that have pave and French carvings....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results