shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is worth more, a D color or a J color?

Which is worth more, given equally beautiful cut, size and clarity

• D Color

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • J Color

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • The same

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just did a search of an extensive online LGD database.
Simple parameters
Shape: Pear
Size 2.00-2.50
The first search was limited to D-E color.
1809 results
Now keep initial parameters, and limit color to I-J
162 results.
You tell me.....

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
worth or cost? There is a difference.
Something can cost more but be worth less.
Cost is a fact, worth is an opinion.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Great point old Buddy.
I suppose I could have worded it " Which is a dealer justified in charging more for"...but I think we get to the same place, if people actually vote.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on both the seller and the buyer.

If going off the "classic" earth grown diamond color scale and how that affects pricing, then colorless will have a higher expected retail price.

OTOH, if a buyer wants a human grown diamond composed of extremely high quality material but at a lower color grade which may provide an appearance more inline with a majority of Type I and Type IIa earth grown diamonds sold, then perhaps that I-K grade with a bit of warmth to the body color may be worth more to that buyer

Here are two larger 2.7+ carats HPHT Type IIa I and K grades, as examples:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Years ago a good goldsmith told me, "Ds look dead. My favorite color is a G." (He hated my L.)
So my answer is neither one. I see these stats as another example of labs turning the market upside down. If the D and the J, were both lovely and earth-mined, maybe there would be other factors that determine value/desireabliity.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say D because that’s “the highest grade” and people associate highest grade with best and therefore most expensive.
Most people can’t tell the colour difference between D and G anyway and an J still looks white enough unless alongside a higher colour grade.
However, the one D I saw in real life was so perfect it looked fake.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally depends on the stone for me.

For an olld cut I do not want a D. It lacks liveliness and personality (in my eyes).

For a modern cut I would take a D though perhaps I would prefer an E or F.
But I would not take a J and my OEC is a J (I love Js for old cuts not modern cuts).

So as much as I loathe this phrase given recent events...it depends on the context and unlike the current events this statement is not hateful. :)

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have a beautiful LGD K color diamond. It’s so perfect because it mimics the color of a more typical earth grown K pretty accurately- it’s not blue and it’s not gray/brown. It’s a lovely warm butter color.

It was also one of the more expensive lab grown diamonds I’ve bought. But it’s hard to find lower colors that are more reminiscent of earth grown lower colors and not just blue/gray brown.

I don’t know if it’s hard to get these kind of colors or they just don’t think there is a market for people that appreciate the warmer yellow based tint in lower grades but yeah right now if you find them they tend to be kind of expensive for what you’d expect based on the grade.

Last edited:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I would pay more for D than J. I get the feeling that setting-vendors can get consumers pretty much whatever they ask for these days at little difference in cost for the entire jewelry piece.

With lab diamonds it is obvious that growers could create a larger supply of diamonds whose qualities are most in demand. We are told that the same is not possible in earth grown diamonds but these days nobody takes that assertion at face value.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting result. It lines up with much of the dealers that don’t sell labs that I speak to, in a way.
I’m of the belief that raw economics will take over and prices of lab diamonds will be disassociated with the rap sheet.
I see this now where growers that have nice looking yellow labs ( for example) are charging just what they did last year while colorless stones dropped a lot during that time

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on both the seller and the buyer.

If going off the "classic" earth grown diamond color scale and how that affects pricing, then colorless will have a higher expected retail price.

OTOH, if a buyer wants a human grown diamond composed of extremely high quality material but at a lower color grade which may provide an appearance more inline with a majority of Type I and Type IIa earth grown diamonds sold, then perhaps that I-K grade with a bit of warmth to the body color may be worth more to that buyer

Here are two larger 2.7+ carats HPHT Type IIa I and K grades, as examples:

What was the cost of the 3.12?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I think GCAL 8x in particular is a good example of "regular ( as opposed to FCD) lab diamonds that refuse ( so far) to be commodified.
The grower of the 2.78 handles it by offering smaller discounts on lower colored stones. So a GVS1 might be the same net price as an E/VS1
That makes good sense to me

I get the feeling that setting-vendors can get consumers pretty much whatever they ask for these days at little difference in cost for the entire jewelry piece.

I totally get this.
As a consumer ( of non jewelry related things) I value some esoteric aspects. Where an item is made, or how it's sold.
I get that the sellers capitalize on this.
And I'm willing to pay more if it's not exorbitant.
As a jeweler who sells to consumers, I need to prioritize things that I feel make us more desirable. Sometimes it's not so easy to quantify.
In the case of lab diamonds and trying to shop online...wow it's a nutso job!
I can see some of the prices are just stratospheric...and yet others seem way too good to be true.
Makes it tougher on consumers for sure

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
worth or cost? There is a difference.
Something can cost more but be worth less.

Exactly! worth more to those who do not understand cut. They go for the higher color because they believe it is a "better" diamond. So therefore, sellers jack up the price of D color stones. Especially in LGD, I've noticed this recently in a search I was doing on ovals. Tons of F color...but you go up it to a D or E and the price goes way up. Even though an F is also "colorless". Same with IF clarity. When an SI1 can be totally EYE clean! Geesh! Not a good way to spend your money IMO! But newbies buying diamonds can't understand these things, especially if they always buy the "best" in other products.

I know the question stated if they both had the same quality of cut...but a D will have more "value" when you re-sell than an I or J, because of the lack of education on what makes a great performing diamond.!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results