shape
carat
color
clarity

which is the better buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nostra

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a trilliant solitare between 1.2-1.5 cararts. I have several online quotes (which of course I am leary of) and 3 diamonds I have seen in person.

1.2 G SI1, eye clean, 52 depth, no major cert (has something from the American Gem Society in Denver), very thk girdle, and I cant tell the difference between good and very good symmetry and the same with polish. Guy tells me that he thought is was close to VS2 -$5400

1.23 H SI1, havent seen yet - $5700

1.54 G VS2, no cert, havent seen yet - $8750

Assuming that the others that I will see tomorrw are nice and that 1.54 doesnt carry all of its weight in the bottom what is the best buy? One is local jeweler and the other is private. Can a place like Jared compete with these numbers?

The last guy I talked with couldnt tell me the pavilion or crown angles. Should I be worried by this? Also, I have no point of reference for how a diamond is supposed to look. What makes one so much better than the other??

Also, how patient should I be for a relatively hard to find stone like this? Should I hold out for the next round?

will update you all tomorrow night!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice to hear about a trilliant every now and then
1.gif

Hope more will chime in. Hope my 0.2 helps a bit for starters...

Not sure I would look for shallower than 52% (you mention "weight on the bottom") and high crown on this shape is unheard of.

Crown and pavilion angles ... perhaps meaningless because there is no standard to compare the stats with. Besides, there will be multiple numbers for a triangular stone - not just one as for rounds.

Honestly, I am not sure what standard you could use to judge these by numbers (table, depth, what not). But you could use the Ideal Scope (link to refference chart) if you are so inclined. I would, since this shape is not known to be very brilliant and many examples are downright glassy looking.

There are a few versions of cut all calles trillion or trilliant or something. I don''t think the names are used consistently for one style or another. All seem to have large tables and some come with sharp corners. Large table means that inclusions become more easily visible and there is less opportunity to hide them with intricate faceting - so if you did find an eye clean large SI1 that was lucky. Sharp corners are somewhat fragile (this has been talked about princess cuts around here) so a girdle thicker than "thin" may be desirable. However a thick one hides allot of weight - if you can find a stone with medium girlde, it may be visible larger than one with "thick" or more.

About cut style... here''s some samples
2.gif

p1-06.jpg

(from diamondrough.com)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About prices: did you try Pricescope''s database ? You may find some nice surprises...

There aren''t many stones listed ''cause this is not a usual shape, but if you have specific requirements for cut or size, I would bet most sellers could find a stone upon request.

nostra

Rough_Rock
actually the 52 depth is the highest in my list so far. The smallest I have seen is 34% but most are in the mid 40s. I thought the trillions didnt have very much depth?? Isnt the idea that that are a flatter stone, making them seem bigger than they are?

Just found another one with an 80% table. That is 10% higher than any other in my list.

I have been looking at the price searches which I why I asked aboout the prices. I can find 1.5 F&G, VS2 for 7000-7500. That is why I am concerned about the 1.54 I will see tomorrow. It is 8750. And it is only a G-VS2.

How do I really know when I have found a good trillion?

nostra

Rough_Rock
bump...

looking at these stones today.

Any advice would be great

nostra

Rough_Rock

I saw the stones today. Both were nice but I am not one to be able to tell an ugly stone from a nice one.

The 1.23 was a nice stone but I was fairly impressed by the 1.54 H VS2. She called it a VS2 but to me it looked no different than the SI1s that I have been seeing. I think it was strictly because of size. She initially callled it a G but said she was ''giving it to me at H prices"

I was able to talk her down to 8200 and worked it out so that there was no sales tax. (600 savings). Not bad. Over 2K under Rapp. AM I REALLY GETTING A GOOD DEAL?!?!
33.gif

I have till Wednesday on the 1.54 so I need the input as soon as possible. The BIG CONCERN is that this stone does not have a cert with it. Could I be shown a CZ and not be able to tell the difference?? They said they will appraise for me and thought it would go for about 18k. Almost seems suspicious if you ask me.
33.gif

Help guys!! I am worried I am being too cautious in this large purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results