shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is a more appealing way to set a trillion? (single pendant)

tip facing up (3 sides all equal)

• tip facing up (3 sides all equal)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • tip facing down (3 sides all equal)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
assuming 1 trillion pendant

Which is a more appealing way to set a trillion?

-Tip of triangle facing up?
-Tip of triangle facing down?

Does your answer depend on the size of the trillion?

What if the trillion is not symmetrical (ie 60 degrees triangle - equilateral) but a modified trillion (2 long side + 1 short base OR 2 short sides + 1 long base)?

thanks

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
hmm i wonder if i set the poll up right...

oh wells if you can just post your opinions, that would be great

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Assuming the trillion is the only stone, I would say it looks more appealing with the tip facing up.

freefly

Shiny_Rock
I would face it with the tip down and the chain attached to the two top corners. If you want it set with a bale, I would set it tip up.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It all depends on a lot of factors, such as the overall design, metal choice, color of the stone, it''s level of brilliance, level of transparency, setting technique implemented, size of the stone... Some look great with the tip up, some with the tip down.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 3:04:00 AM
Author: freefly
I would face it with the tip down and the chain attached to the two top corners. If you want it set with a bale, I would set it tip up.

ditto this..Not sure where I saw it, but I recently saw a photo of a trilliant set similar to the way ff describes (tip down) and it looked lovely. I think it also had a gold "bar" across the top through which the chain was threaded..Never been a fan of trilliants, if I were to buy one that is how I would set it..

But I also have to echo what ma re said. So much depends on the design and the gem.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''d be most likely to set it with the tip of the stone going up (assuming that it''s a solitaire pendant). If it''s being designed as part of a multi-stone pendant then there''s any combination of ways that I would consider.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 4:33:23 AM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 11/16/2009 3:04:00 AM

Author: freefly

ditto this..Not sure where I saw it, but I recently saw a photo of a trilliant set similar to the way ff describes (tip down) and it looked lovely. I think it also had a gold ''bar'' across the top through which the chain was threaded..Never been a fan of trilliants, if I were to buy one that is how I would set it..

But I also have to echo what ma re said. So much depends on the design and the gem.

It might have been mine that you were thinking of. I set mine point down because I didn''t want to worry about it twisting around.

kiz-chryspendant2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If simple prong set, then point up. If you do anything with a fancy bail, then point down.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
is it bail or bale ?

what exactly is that in the context of jewelry?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
The bail is the loop on the pendant through which the chain goes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mistake: I believe it is a "bale". It is the portion of the pendant setting that allows it to be worn on a chain.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
like the rabbit ears?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 11:07:19 AM
Author: haagen_dazs
like the rabbit ears?

Yes, exactly.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of my trillan pendant with the tip down hope it kinda helps

spinels%20dt%20018.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and here is sonomacounty''s nice find on overstock

overstockgreename1.JPG

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
i actually really like the down point look too
nice nice

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have said point up but after seeing the photos of the trillions set point down, I''d probably try that!

Sonomacounty and D&T both have very unique settings while Kismet''s is more classic. So if the stone is unique I''d go with the more unusual point down setting. But then I have trouble visualizing earrings point down...unless you did D&T''s setting.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I prefer a solitaire trillion tip-down, but if there are other stones above it, then tip-up.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 12:43:49 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
I would have said point up but after seeing the photos of the trillions set point down, I''d probably try that!

Well, I already said point up, but having seen the photos, I like point down too! So basically I''m good with anything!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and just in case you haven''t seen enough trillion pendant with the point down,, here is another eye candy
9.gif

trillion dt ct.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and one with the point up

cttrillionup.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and last one hope this helps - a bit asymetrical

cttrillionup1.JPG

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Coffin & Trout is located in my city, although I don''t have the funds to patronize them
39.gif

They do have great settings for trillon pendants, you could downgrade on the bling and possibly be able to afford a custom setting like theirs. I like the pendants the other PS-er contributed, those are way cool settings that Kismet and D&T came up, features the stones quite nicely.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2009 5:40:35 PM
Author: StonieGrl
Coffin & Trout is located in my city, although I don''t have the funds to patronize them
39.gif

They do have great settings for trillon pendants, you could downgrade on the bling and possibly be able to afford a custom setting like theirs. I like the pendants the other PS-er contributed, those are way cool settings that Kismet and D&T came up, features the stones quite nicely.
I had a custom solitaire ring made, and it was very reasonable, but I know their prices are rather on the higher end, but I sure do love their blings
30.gif

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
D&T, really? I have not attempted a custom ring and supplying the gemstones, I extrapolated from their prices my description of pricey. Knowing what colored gemstones go for also brought me to that conclusion but I have to say that we all work to make a living, jewelers included, no sin in that.

I would love to have a Coffin & Trout piece, just don''t think I could choke up the money when I could buy more gemstones with what I would lay out.

Also, you have to love really architectural pieces to go with Coffin & Trout''s more blingish pieces, I think.

D&T, would you be willing to share any other jewelers in our area you patronize? I have only also been to Oliver Smith and Walt''s.
35.gif

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
D&T, meant to say that at Coffin & Trout I did not try for a piece where I supplied them one of my gemstones and asked for a custom pience, just that I had shopped their existing inventory and found the price prohibitive for what I thought the quality/size of the gemstones were.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2009 7:09:47 PM
Author: StonieGrl
D&T, really? I have not attempted a custom ring and supplying the gemstones, I extrapolated from their prices my description of pricey. Knowing what colored gemstones go for also brought me to that conclusion but I have to say that we all work to make a living, jewelers included, no sin in that.

I would love to have a Coffin & Trout piece, just don''t think I could choke up the money when I could buy more gemstones with what I would lay out.

Also, you have to love really architectural pieces to go with Coffin & Trout''s more blingish pieces, I think.

D&T, would you be willing to share any other jewelers in our area you patronize? I have only also been to Oliver Smith and Walt''s.
35.gif
oooh sadly I have not been able to support any other jewelers yet
7.gif
but I have been to Ganem jewelers though to look for designer pieces but their prices were a tad too high for my taste
39.gif
Anyhoot, I actually had C&T make a paragon solitaire custom mount for my diamond, but I since have reset my diamond back to a semi bezel
37.gif
So I am now setting a gem in that mount. They just recently had a gem show there from their supplier/cutter, but I was too sick to go
7.gif

Sorry Threadjack over HD
37.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think both tip up or down can look great, depending on the design. However, some designs with the tip down end up looking like an arrow pointing down to the lady''s cleavage
6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results