shape
carat
color
clarity

Which eternity with my asscher solitare?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

enfianced

Shiny_Rock
Hello all. I recently became engaged and we''re going to talk to our jeweler about bands now, to get the process moving. Here are the specs for my asscher solitare: 1.74, H, VS1-2 (?), 18K wg cathedral setting.

Wondering which would look better: round shared-prong eternity band or channel princess eternity? If the latter, miligrain or plain? Any similar pics for me to compare? I''m having the popular struggle b/t "shared prong vs channel" and "round or princess with square solitare" so any help at all is appreciated!

Thanks!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote round shared prong. I like the contrast between the larger step cut diamond and the little round diamonds. Plus I''m not crazy about princess cut eternity rings...something about them just doesn''t do it for me.

You could also consider an asscher cut eternity band. They have small channel set ones at www.thefacetscollection.com (aka signedpieces.com). One of those would look good too!

enfianced

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm...our jeweler advised against asscher eternity b/c of the price and he said once they''re that small (we''re considering 1-2 tcw eternity) they don''t sparkle enough and can look really dull...have you not found this to be the case?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I wear my asscher with 6-pointer, round, shared-prong half eternity band and I''m really pleased with it. I was slightly afraid that the 6 point round brilliants would compete with the step cut of the asscher, but haven''t found that to be the case.

I have both round brilliants and pears on my e-ring, so going with a RB eternity band was an easy choice. If I had a solitaire I''d think I''d consider 1.) a 5 or 7 stone ring with asschers 2.) an asscher eternity band (like Vespergirl''s) or 3.) an emerald eternity. I think a round brilliant or princess eternity band would look fine, but I think I''d consider step cut options as well.

Also, is this the set you''ll be wearing every day? I don''t wear my e-ring much anymore after getting married. On a day-to-day basis I wear my eternity and a trinity band, so I wanted a wedding band that could stand on its own and be paired with other bands. Are you wanting a band that you can wear on its own or are you more focused on matching the band to your e-ring?

I''m attaching a pic of mine, btw, pardon the Frankenstein hands.

nkering33.JPG

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear my Asscher e-ring with a bead-set pave band that''s kind of scalloped -- an eternity band made of little segments.

Have seen bands where small round stones are "boxed'' ... so that the impression is a bunch of little squares (mimicing the squareish shape of the Asscher centerstone). Another option would be alternating baquettes & princess stones --OR--alternating baguettes & round stones.

Someone else found a delicate band of "french cut" stones -- which are ... hm ... more faceted baquettey squares???

Lots of different options ...

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock

NEL, your set is beautiful!

I also like the contrast bewteen the step-cuts in the asscher and the brilliance of a round eternity. When it comes to "Asscher eternities" I actually preferr the look of the Carre'' cut diamonds - they look less busy because when you start getting into 10-15 pt''ers the steps tend to get somewhat lost. It''s all just personal preferance!
Here is my set...although my eternity''s ct weight is much less than what you are envisioning...

em_asscher.jpg

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
For an asscher, I would prefer either other asschers, baguettes or rounds. I think that princess cuts might clash with an asscher.

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
I saved those photos of the french-cut bands...preeeetty!

frenchcuts.jpg

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
One more of the french''s....

frenchcuts2.jpg

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
And the Carre'' cut...

Can you tell I love eternities??
18.gif

Nooo, nooooo, I''m NOT on the hunt for a new ring....
11.gif

I agree that princesses will look a bit off.

Let us know which way you go, we would love to see photos!

carre cut band 2.jpg

enfianced

Shiny_Rock
Wow...I really like the look of these french cuts...never seen those before. I think I''d like the flexibility of wearing the set, but also just the band alone. I might also sometimes wear the ering on my right hand and the wband on my left hand. That''s why I chose a solitare ering so I would have flexibility in choosing a band and options on wearing the rings. I''m going to hold on to these pics of the french cuts and pass them along to my jeweler to see if he could replicate something or find similar. Thanks!!!

enfianced

Shiny_Rock
I will post some pics of my ering once I have it back from sizing/appraisal and take some smaller-sized photos (the ones I took when I got it are too large for this forum). Thanks for all the help...I''m clueless on this stuff.

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
I love the contrast of the shared prong round brilliants with a step cut stone. I wear a shared prong 7 stone rb half eternity with my EC and it''s all about sparkle and contrast. I adore the look of the two rings together and then of course i can wear them separately for another look. My I posted some pics of mine in a thread on this board called Hooray for Whiteflash and me if you want to take a look. I love the look of the person who posted her asscher w/ shared prong band. I just love the contrast/texture of the two. I used to like channel set rings but not now. I guess I fell in love w/ shared prong. If I had lots of money I''d have several but I don''t and so I made the right choice for me. I think you''d get the best of both worlds w/ a round eternity band paired with your step cut asscher.

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/18/2007 10:30:24 AM
Author: enfianced
Wow...I really like the look of these french cuts...never seen those before. I think I''d like the flexibility of wearing the set, but also just the band alone. I might also sometimes wear the ering on my right hand and the wband on my left hand. That''s why I chose a solitare ering so I would have flexibility in choosing a band and options on wearing the rings. I''m going to hold on to these pics of the french cuts and pass them along to my jeweler to see if he could replicate something or find similar. Thanks!!!
Having the option to wear the rings on either hands is so versatile. I am such fan a of stacking bands...I don''t know what got into me, maybe it was the Jennifer Garner/Giada LeLaurentis boom, but stacking some fun bands is SUCH a lovely look!

Leon Mege may also have something available for you in his "Available to Purchase" section of his website, also you could try Whiteflash, ERD amongst others if you are comfortable purchasing online....they all have great track records!

Anywho, I''m glad I could help!

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Shminbabe,

love your set btw!

enfianced

Shiny_Rock
A picture of my ering as promised...I''ll def post a pic again once we decide on a band.

psC101807.jpg

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a stunning ring! My preference would be for RB or Asscher, not princess on the eternity band. I think you should try some styles on and see which you prefer. When you''ve decided, Signed Pieces is a great source for eternity bands.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
enfianced, your ring is beautiful! I love the double prongs, I think they look great on asschers (accents the cut corners) and I think you''d be happy with a rb shared prong. I tend to agree with the others--if going for a non-step-cut I think a rb band is your best bet. It''s timeless. Those french cut bands that Evelynn posted are fantastic! I think they''d look amazing with your solitaire.

Evelynn, I get lost in your ring--the steps and the windmills are absolutely perfect!! With an asscher that size it is literally mezmerizing! I could stare at it all. day. long!

enfianced

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to all who have posted. I tried on a bunch of bands on Monday, and ended up hating what I thought I''d love. The shared-prong RBs looked way too white next to my asscher. Other step-cut wearers can understand...there''s simply a different look to steps (more crystal-looking, less white-looking) and therefore the right band is essential. I actually liked channel-set RBs or PCs with milligrain ediging and the three-sided pave bands the best. Still looking though.

On another somewhat related topic, although I just became engaged in October, I''m already considering resetting my asscher (1.74, H, VS1-2) for two reasons:

1) I was asked a million times by my fiance "are you sure you don''t want platinum" and I said no everytime because I didn''t think there was a big difference, it would save money, white gold is okay, etc. However I''ve come to realize how soft the WG is!!! The underside of my ER looks like I''ve been wearing it for 10 years already and after talking to some platinum ER wearers, I''m going to have it re-set in plat. Any opinions?

2) I want sidestones. Again, when we were choosing my ER and shopping/looking around, I just wasn''t sure what I wanted and so we decided on a solitare, and now since we''re having it reset anyway, he''s open to the idea of sidestones since it''s something we considered in the beginning. I''m going to do step-cut traps or bags, but I''m wondering what''s the tcw I should shoot for with a 1.74 center?

Sorry for the long post, but I''m really learning a lot from PS and I love my asscher...so different and I see SO MANY RBs (I''m in Chicago)...they''re mostly all 2-3ct+, but I''m tired of seeing them and love that I have something that nobody has and I, too, get totally lost in the steps of my diamond.

Thanks for letting me vent and I welcome any/all thoughts/comments/pictures!

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Those french cuts are beautiful. Are they Singlestone? I am in love with their stuff right now.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results