shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond should I choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

johnq123

Rough_Rock

I have been shopping around for diamonds for awhile and have finally narrowed it down to 2 diamonds. Both diamonds are AGS Ideal cut diamonds, F color, 1 carat, and are priced at $6250. However, one diamond is a SI 1 and has a diameter of 6.54 – 6.56 and the other diamond is a VS 1 with a diameter of 6.38 – 6.44. Which diamond should I go with? Is this a fair price?

Thanks,

John

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi and welcome
35.gif
Could you post any more info on each stone - the depth and table%'s, crown and pavillion angles? I think I am right in saying that the experts need these to comment on each diamond. Good luck I am sure the folks here will help you pick a winner! Also the girdle thickness is helpful or if the diamonds have any fluoresence.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Johnq, welcome to the board.

Given the baker''s dozen of possible comparables you can find here on the search by cut database, although one stands out as a bargain on the shelf (you could consider asking them why the low price if you even think to pursue it), the other dozen start in cost where yours does, and goes up another $2500. Although VS are generally thought to be safest for not seeing inclusions, SIs (particularly SI 1s) are thought to provide an excellent opportunity for savings, with inclusions frequently not eye-visible, and if you''ve had the benefit of seeing the SI 1 you mention, and find it without inclusions you can see/are noticeable, all the better. Also, the diameter you post of the SI is more standard/favorable for a 1 carat diamond, also encouraging.

Still, to get up to speed on cut, review the tutorial here, including the section on 60/60, and review why just knowing the diameter is only part of the story. As Lorelie mentions, and especially since the options you have come with papers from AGS, you should have crown & pavilion angles to post, which helps us understand/confirm it is well cut, which most on this board regard as important (and when a diamond comes with papers from AGS, the likelihood of this tends to be increased as well). Actually, to take you down the line a measure, you can check the cut yourself, using this tool provided, and info available from the AGS docs. AGS recently did revise their criteria for AGS0. If yours was documented more recently and is AGS0, the likelihood increases a good bit for it to be a winner. If AGS0 and pre 6/05 docs, odds may still be good, but you''ll want to more carefully double check the cut. In the unlikely end your options should score over 2 on the indicated HCA tool, the general advice would be to at least increase the options among which you want to consider for purchase. But I''ll bet you won''t need to do that.

Regards,

johnq123

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help. I don''t have the information from the report on hand, but I will post it early this afternoon.

johnq123

Rough_Rock

Here is the rest of the information from the reports. I misspoke in my original email, one of the diamonds was graded by the GIA and the other diamond was graded by the AGS. I have looked at both of the diamonds, and the inclusions in the SI 1 are not visible to the naked eye. As for the prices, the VS 1 was originally priced $1400 more than the amount I previously stated. I was unsatisfied with the inclusions in the SI 1’s the jeweler had to offer, so he offered me a similar VS 1 for the price of the SI 1 (this is a well respected jeweler in my area). Anyways, here is the information I have on the two diamonds. Please let me know if I need to provide any additional information.

Diamond SI 1
Date: May 16, 2005
Shape & Style: Round Brilliant
Diameter: 6.54 – 6.56 x 3.98 mm
Weight: 1.03 carat
Depth: 60.8%
Table: 56%
Girdle: THN to MED
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Clarity: SI1
Color: F
Fluorescence: None
Pinpoints are not shown.
Key: Feather, Cloud
Diamond VS 1
Date: April 20, 2005
Shape & Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.38 – 6.43 x 3.99
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Proportions: Ideal
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VS1
Carat Weight: 1.00
Fluorescence: Negligible
Depth: 62.2%
Table: 54%
Crown %: 16.3%
Crown Angle: 35.1
Girdle: 1.2 – 2.3 Faceted
Pavilion %: 42.8%
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Culet: Pointed

Both jewelers provide lifetime inspection and plating of the 14k white gold ring. However, I purchased the ring from the jeweler selling the VS1 and if I have the jeweler selling the SI 1 mount his diamond in my ring it will void my warranty. Additionally, the jeweler selling the VS 1 offers a guarantee on the diamond protecting it against loss, this diamond is laser inscribed, and the jewelers locations is very convenient. The jeweler selling the SI 1 does not offer a similar guarantee, it is not laser inscribed, and the location is not as convenient. All things being equal I would choose jeweler selling the VS 1, but there are obviously some differences between these two diamonds. I want the diamond that is going to look the best and is the best deal.

Thanks for your help,

John

EZ

Rough_Rock

Hey John:

Have you used the Holloway Cut Advisor availabel on this site? It is at https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp.

Given the nimbers for diamond #2 (The VS1) the advisor comes up with a score of 2.3 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right. I am a neophyte myself so I cannot advise if the price is right. If you can get the crown angle and pavilion angle for diamond #1 you can then do a paper comparison.

Carl

johnq123

Rough_Rock
I do not have the crown angle and pavilion angle for the SI 1 diamond, and I do not believe I will be able to get it before I make a purchase. The information I have already provided will be all the information I have availible for making a decision.

John

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
would you be able to compare them side by side?

johnq123

Rough_Rock
Yes, I am planning on comparing them side by side tomorrow (Tuesday).

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2005 11:59:18 AM
Author: johnq123
Yes, I am planning on comparing them side by side tomorrow (Tuesday).

Go with the one that looks best to you.

Just try and view them in multiple kinds of lighting

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah, what strm said
2.gif

try and see them in various lighting conditions outside of the bright jewelry store lights. it will make your decision easier.
2.gif

best of luck to you! let us know how it goes.

johnq123

Rough_Rock
Just looking at the numbers are both of these diamonds equally as good?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results