shape
carat
color
clarity

Which cut has the "lowest" profile?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
I''m just curious...I know that a good jeweler can mount any stone low but what stones are best for this if I was thinking a traditional solitaire with a center stone in the one carat range?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure I understand... what do you mean by "low profile" ?
33.gif

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
Cut that has the least depth...

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
???????

do you mean what kind of settings?...........the larger any shape stone the deeper it will be and thus harder to set relatively flush to the hand.

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
The setting would be classic Tiffany solitaire style regardless of the shape of the stone, with four prongs. I don''t want to go over a carat...I know jewelers can set them as low as you want but I do want the e-ring and band to be close. They don''t have to be exactly flush

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2005 10:22:51 AM
Author: northstar_78
Cut that has the least depth...
probably an oval then a round----------but it all depends on cut etc

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tiffany setting is not particularly low - the diamonds are rised above the band, so the setting adds height to anything. Basket setting may get as low as the height of the stone (nearly) - any lower and the culet would touch the finger. Like THIS.

Most diamond shapes do well at about 60% depth - even those that usually come much deeper. The thin and long shapes are actually the shallowest in absolute terms: the depth % is calculated against their width and that is not much. And even by percentage the depth of marquises and pears can get lower than what is desirable for rounds without loosing the looks.

Any low-low set ring would need some tweaking to allow the wedding band to stay reasonably near. Basket settings can be "tappered" to follow the shape of the pavilion. It happened for this ring:
2.gif

113_1313%20(2).jpg

The modern Tiffany setting evolved from some earlier versions that were open-bottom, tappered baskets (a classic around '1900).

You might want to establish what is a good "height" for the ring. For example, about 5-6mm is ok with me, and more still works if the ring tappers around the finger so there's no single piece that stands out from next to skin to top height with no transition (like the head of the Tiffany setting does, actually).

Just my 0.2
1.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
The 4 or 6 prong generic settings often referred to as "Tiffany" settings (although they look nothing like the actual Tiffany setting!) are not low-set mountings.
I had one and even though I had the stone set all the way in there, with no "air space" left, it was still too high for me and it also did nothing for the look of the stone!
If you want a low setting, you need to go with a basket mounting. My stone is a 3.29 ct (9.59 mm), and it is set all the way down, such that the culet is just before it would touch my skin. So, even though I have a large stone, it sits EXTREMELY low. Also, my baskets were designed with this in mind. I didn''t just take a stock mounting and have them place it low as it still would''ve been limited by the height of the cross bars.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results