shape
carat
color
clarity

Which combination is better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
In order for my mom to take pictures of the pendant I had made for Christmas, she said she wanted another peice! lol

As the loving son I am, I am going to oblige. She wanted something with her grandchildrens birthstones. My nephew Miles is a january baby so I pulled out my garnets and chose three and my neice Sabina is August so I picked out four of my peridots.

Now I''d like see which combination you think is best. I''ve paired up two peridots as well as i could from what I have. The pairs are on either side of the garnets I selected out of my collection.

gems026.jpg

gems022.jpg

gems017.jpg

and here''s a shot of all of them together
9.gif

gems029.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
What a sweet son you are! I like Combo 3 best because the delicate green shade of the peridot go well with the soft shade of pink. Combo 1's center stone makes a dark contrast, maybe a little too dark. Combo 2 makes a citrusy blend of green and orange, but something about it clashes.

What combo appeals to you the most? And what color does your mom like?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Either #1 or #3, depending on the design, metal choice etc.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 12:24:03 PM
Author: ma re
Either #1 or #3, depending on the design, metal choice etc.
That''s right, I didn''t consider metal choice or design. #2 could work in yellow gold.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I really like #2 and #3. I personally like orange and green together and find them quite complimentary in the right shades. I love the group shot!

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I think I like #3 the best. I prefer the pink tones with the peridot green over the more orange and darker red options.

However, our answers are limited to what we can see in the photos. In the case of the 3rd group, the peridots seem to have a funny color compared to the other pics. For each stone, can you comment on which photo is the most accurate to what you see in real life? That would definitely help us guide you.

Also, this sounds like a really sweet project to do for your mom!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 12:16:42 PM
Author: platinumrock
What a sweet son you are! I like Combo 3 best because the delicate green shade of the peridot go well with the soft shade of pink. Combo 1''s center stone makes a dark contrast, maybe a little too dark. Combo 2 makes a citrusy blend of green and orange, but something about it clashes.

What combo appeals to you the most? And what color does your mom like?

1.gif
I like three as well, it''s in the forefront as of now. The only thing that concerns me would be scale. The best pair of peridots is the pair on the left. They are 5.6mm while the garnet in 3 is 7x5. The garnet in 1 is 7x9 and would be the definite center stone without any concern for scale because it''s by and large the biggest stone, but I agree it can be too dark.

I wish I had a better selection of stones
8.gif
all my oval garnets are really shallow dark native cuts and the rest of them are pear or my beautiful (and only) spess.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 12:42:36 PM
Author: ladyciel
I think I like #3 the best. I prefer the pink tones with the peridot green over the more orange and darker red options.

However, our answers are limited to what we can see in the photos. In the case of the 3rd group, the peridots seem to have a funny color compared to the other pics. For each stone, can you comment on which photo is the most accurate to what you see in real life? That would definitely help us guide you.

Also, this sounds like a really sweet project to do for your mom!
The peridots most match picture 2

three''s garnet is nearly spot on
two the spess is more of this (same stone)
029-1.jpg

and 1 the color is correct if you look at the middle of the stone where the light is coming through the best

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
# 2 or # 3.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Group 1 best even though the pear is very dark. They have good contrast and the overall symmetry and proportion go well together.
Although on paper, green and orange go well together, the particular shade you have do not seem to match well for #2.
Group 3 is a close second only because the pear is too small for the combo.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
So I've decided on the larger set of peridots, and I've eleminated the spess. I took more photos too
1.gif
ETA: Also, thank you all for your comments and suggestions it's been a real help!

best representation of all colors and configuration i've come up with so far

gems049.jpg

gems048.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 4:21:55 PM
Author: davi_el_mejor
So I''ve decided on the larger set of peridots, and I''ve eleminated the spess. I took more photos too
1.gif

best representation of all colors and configuration i''ve come up with so far

gems049.jpg

gems048.jpg
Chrono is right. I didn''t take proportions into consideration, and #1 looks so much better as a whole even though the center stone is a litttle dark. It''s actually growing on me, and it has a nice contrast with the green. This would also make a lovely drop pendant. The two peridots on top and the pear on the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results