shape
carat
color
clarity

Which colored stones goes best with diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there, I would like to purchase a pair of pear shape as sidestones for my 0.80 carat, e color round diamond. I have absolutely no idea about colored stone, but really love the colors:) I have no preference for color, it can be red, blue,green....) however, I would like it to be as scratch resistance as possible. and also I would hope to look for a pair that is rare and of the highest grade. I have a budget of US$500 for this pair of stone.Can you kindly advise on the stones that I should look at? Since my centre stone is only 0.80carat, what carat weight would you suggest for each side? and lastly any recommendation on the online vendor? thanks alot in advance!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Well, for durability and beauty, sapphire would be your best choice. Luckily they come in lots of colors!!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2009 11:58:38 AM
Author: Upgradable
Well, for durability and beauty, sapphire would be your best choice. Luckily they come in lots of colors!!
ditto. Try the below company but they may only have large ones... not sure though you can definitely call and ask though

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Yellow/

also mulitcolour.com has lots of pears, not sure if they have them paired up though...

http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/?/gallery/single/sapphire/

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
hi tks for the replies! I am kinda interested in color changing stones like Alexandrite. Does Alexandrite scratches easily? any recommendation for online vendor? tks!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Alexandrite is also very hard, but your choice pretty much rules them out, for several reasons like shape and size. Small pairs of pears are not something you'll find easily regardless of gemstone variety and your best bet is probably to look at sapphires. There might be some spinels around, but they're rarely cut in pear shape. Ruby is an option, but it'll be hard to find a matched pair of the right size/shape too. Sapphires are available in pretty much every color except red and brown. In terms of size, it all depends on the style of the piece you'd like to make, but I think a 3,5 x 5,5 mm pears would look nice with a stone of around 6 mm. But you'll have to see them all side by side to really make a decision.

P. S. Color change sapphires can change from blue to purple and are not too expensive in small sizes.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a gorgeous red pair, upgradable!

How do you feel about yellow trilliants? In terms of the size stones you''re looking for, you may have to get them custom cut, because there''s not much out there that I''m finding that''s already a matched pair. Or you might want to ask a place that has a lot of stones in the sizes you''re looking for if they have two that would work as a matched set, even if they haven''t matched them up already.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Here are malaya garnet trillions. These are closer in size to what Ma re recommended. Though garnets are not as scratch resistant, my understanding is that they''re still pretty darn durable (others have garnets as the main stone for their e-ring).

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 2:47:00 PM
Author: AustenNut
Here are malaya garnet trillions. These are closer in size to what Ma re recommended. Though garnets are not as scratch resistant, my understanding is that they''re still pretty darn durable (others have garnets as the main stone for their e-ring).
Not THAT durable - I only wear my e-ring when I''m going out. You couldn''t wear one 24/7 unless you''re happy to deal with chips on a regular basis.

Toughness is probably more important than scratch resistence as ring stones.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the correction. I sometimes forget that PS people are far kinder to their jewelry than the average Joe.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I would stick with sapphires or colored diamonds for the side stones for every day wear.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
btw.... rubies are a type of sapphire.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I would agree on sapphires- but i do like the pair of rubies from acjems.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
James Allen has settings for RBs that have sapphire, emerald, and ruby sidestones cut in pairs. I''d suggest checking them out!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go with a sapphire - but then you have a huge wide range from vibrant ruby red to yellow, green, orange.... and all the shades of blue.

As for which to get I tend to think not as much which goes with the diamond but what will go with the most outfits lol

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphire is also my recommendation. Unfortunately, your budget will not allow for the nicest colour and good colour change alexandrites. There is also the difficulty of finding matched pairs in addition to the pear shape. I’d stick with heated sapphires for your budget. Another option is spinels which is hardy enough for everyday wear and also comes in a variety of colours.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
tks everone for the helpful suggestions!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results