shape
carat
color
clarity

Which are would you move to? Chicago or San Francisco?

Which area would you move to?

• San Francisco

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Chicago

Votes: 23 47.9%

• Total voters

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
DH has two offers in hand and both require relocation. While I'm still hoping a job offer comes through where we currently live (Northern VA), DH wants us to pick one of the offers and we have to decide this week. Both are good offers and offer a generous relocation budget.

The two options are a Chicago suburb or San Francisco. We're a family of 5- a highschooler, a 4th grader and 3rd grader. Schools/safety/nice homes (we would rent the first year) are a must. I've been to Chicago but stayed in the city. I've never been to the suburbs. I've never been to CA. I'd love to have pros and cons from people who currently live or did live in either places. :) I've been researching online as much as I can (city-data has been great) and I'm completely overwhelmed!

Thank you so much!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A no brainer, SF!... ;)) probably one of the most beautiful city in the US.

charleston1

Shiny_Rock
After last winter definitely SF. Chicago is hellish cold in the winter! I think SF downside is the cost of housing but I would take it to get away from the cold.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Both places are nice, but I really can't vote for either. I love Chicago, but not the winters and San Fran is lovely too, but I wouldn't want to live and/or raise kids there either (just a personal preference). Best of luck on your choice and I'm sorry if I wasn't much help - hopefully, others here will be :))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're used to living in a warmer climate and don't have all the gear necessary for getting through a Chicago winter, I don't know that you'd all be super happy there. If you're willing to outfit everyone with warm winter gear, make sure your vehicles are snow-friendly, and deal with at least 5 months of cold, snow, and ice, then go for it. I lived there for 8 years, I adapted. It really is an awesome city, and even in the suburbs there is so much to do. Someone mentioned Hinsdale on your other thread and I love that suburb, it's about 18 miles west of the city (you can see the skyline on clear days), great hospital, good schools plus it's beautiful. A quick drive north up 83 takes you to Oak Brook where there is all the shopping you could ever want--Neiman's, Bloomingdales, Anthropologie, lots of jewelry! A. Marek--you should check out that website, you'd have to visit the Oak Brook showroom often. I could go on and on, ha ha!

ETA: here's your new home. You have some redecorating to do in the kitchen. LOL
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/17W251-Hillside-Ln_Hinsdale_IL_60527_M70655-20258?row=13

I think San Francisco sounds amazing, too, but I've never been there so can only comment on Chicago. If you guys are at all daunted by the cold you would probably be happier out there, though. It takes a couple years to really adapt to it.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
I lived on Chicago's North Shore (aka the Northern Suburbs) from age 12-18, and in the San Francisco Bay Area (Palo Alto/Mountain View/Sunnyvale) from 18 until now, in my mid thirties. My recommendation is Chicago.

SF Bay Area advantages: weather, diversity
SF Bay Area disadvantages: housing cost

My pro/con list for Chicago is basically the inverse of the SF Bay Area one: the weather is worse and the suburbs, where the best schools are located, can be pretty homogeneous. Housing is much more affordable, though. I honestly have no idea how families other than double-income tech couples get by in the bay area.

I don't know much about the schools out here in the bay area, though I've heard they can be hit or miss. I loved the school system I attended on the North Shore, though, and felt very well prepared compared to my classmates in college.

Safety is fine in either place except for certain parts of the city.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1400032583|3672214 said:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/17W251-Hillside-Ln_Hinsdale_IL_60527_M70655-20258?row=13

I think San Francisco sounds amazing, too, but I've never been there so can only comment on Chicago. If you guys are at all daunted by the cold you would probably be happier out there, though. It takes a couple years to really adapt to it.

That Hinsdale listing is nice! For comparison, here is the cheapest listing in Palo Alto: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3069-Middlefield-Rd-APT-102-Palo-Alto-CA-94306/2143188638_zpid/

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LAJennifer|1400036376|3672277 said:

That Hinsdale listing is nice! For comparison, here is the cheapest listing in Palo Alto: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3069-Middlefield-Rd-APT-102-Palo-Alto-CA-94306/2143188638_zpid/

:lol: What is wrong with this world??? I don't know whether to laugh or cry! That's insane! :-o

April20

Ideal_Rock
While I have not lived in either city, I have spent extensive time in both SF and Chicago for work. I LOVE SF, but it's just so darn expensive to live there! Chicago winters can be brutal, but I think you'll get more for your money. There's lots to do there and still plenty of amazing restaurants (though my favs are in SF).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm biased, as I said I live in Naperville. You will get a bigger house and great schools/restaurants. No earthquakes ( or very few). No fires. On the other hand, no ocean. No seafood. Btw, I'm from Philly so I'm not born from here biased. I would choose Va if it was a choice. Been to SF and no desire at all to live there. Nice place to visit . Besides, DF lives out there. You want him bugging you all the time????

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1400039048|3672310 said:
I'm biased, as I said I live in Naperville. You will get a bigger house and great schools/restaurants. No earthquakes ( or very few). No fires. On the other hand, no ocean. No seafood. Btw, I'm from Philly so I'm not born from here biased. I would choose Va if it was a choice. Been to SF and no desire at all to live there. Nice place to visit . Besides, DF lives out there. You want him bugging you all the time????
Not me!..ain't no way I can afford to live in the bay area.. :$$):

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1400039048|3672310 said:

Ahh, once upon a time, my husband worked in Naperville and we lived 15-20 minutes away. It was a nice area.

To the OP, unless you are from the north or northern central US, you will find Chicago winters brutal. We lived there for 4 years and experienced record low temps one year (like -80 degrees wind chill and below 0 temp) and record snowfall (over 100 inches, I believe). We took the first offer we had to transfer further south to VA!

I also wouldn't lower my standard of living to move to SF. Housing is just crazy high. It only works well when one lives there and has a house and then moves somewhere with a much lower cost of living.

So my vote is neither. I hope you get to stay where you are!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lived in SF from the time I was one to my mid 30s. I moved to a burb 30 minutes south of SF. I'm in my forties with two kids, 11 and 8. So this will be all about SF.

First off, do you have the option of living in the suburbs of SF? If so, that opens up your options.

Living in the city (proper) can be expensive, depending on where you decide to live and how much space you need. If the company is giving you a rental allowance that is generous, you could probably rent a house in the residential districts for a reasonable price. I am assuming your husband's company will give him an increase in salary consistent with the cost of living in SF/Bay Area. Is moving to the suburbs an option? There are lots of nice places south of SF (down in the peninsula) which has no bridge commute. I prefer it to the East Bay (because you have a bridge commute, or BART) and the north (Golden Gate Bridge), but tons of people love the north bay, Marin.

The elementary public school system in SF, a crap shoot. You should call San Francisco Unified School District and see how they treat mid-year transfers. Some people LOVE their school. Some really do NOT. As for the public high schools, that will be district based. Lowell High School is one of the best schools in the nation. You need to test to get in. However, if you are planning on private schools, then you're probably going to be fine. Plenty of them. How much are you planning on spending on schooling? If you are not comfortable with a very diverse school, with students from many different socio-economic backgrounds, you better plan on private school, unless you move to the higher end suburbs, where the public schools are less diverse.

Atmosphere? Pretty liberal city, casual, diverse. It has a very neighborhoody feel, lots of cute enclaves. Tons of stuff to do. Food is ridiculous. (Seriously, if you like food, you will LOVE living in the bay area.) Food festivals all summer long. Very active, hiking, biking, racing, every activity a possibility, pretty much 12 months of the year. I don't even need to discuss the weather, do I? 40-70ish degrees, year round. Nuff said. if you want to ski, Tahoe/Reno is 3-4 hours away. Of course, beaches, wine country/Napa Valley/Southern CA, Santa Barbara, LA - all driving distance.

Suburban life is pretty much like everywhere else. AYSO, little league, all the usual activities. Goes without saying, gorgeous places in all the burbs too. Near Stanford University, and UC Berkeley and UCLA for good deals for top ranked public higher education institutions.

If you have specific questions, let me know. If you want, you can contact me through LT, bluerock95 and I can answer in more detail, or help you find anything you need.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nor Cal is great. But the cost of living is ridiculous. If you want to spend less than 1.2-1.7 million for a simple 4 bedroom home. Not gonna happen honestly, without a long commute.

And it affects everything. Groceries, a night out. A night out for us for pizza is 50 bucks. I kid you not. One large pizza two people, two drinks (and leftovers for lunch the next day). Sushi for two (4 rolls total, two drinks): 50 including tip. Cheap lunch for 2? 30 bucks.

But, there are lots of jobs out here. Lots of diversity. And it's a good place to live. I won't deny that.

But you need to make sure the job offers are in line with market rates out here (which should be MUCH higher than anywhere else in the country). Companies out here like to get out of staters and low ball them, because they don't know how expensive it is out here.

It's more expensive than Manhatten. Both Dh and I work for national companies. BOTH of our companies index salaries out here HIGHER than Manhattan salaries for the same job, same experience.

So... I suggest you do a LOT of research if you decide to move out here.

Also rents out here are NOT reasonable. They are ridiculous. My husband works in residential property management. I know of what I speak. And I'm not talking SF itself. I'm talking suburbs. Look at property and rents in San Mateo, Burlingame, and Palo Alto and Berkeley.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you know, I live in Chicago now. The winters, as we all agree, are brutal. Especially this last one, which was right out of an ice age horror movie. That being said, I've spent a lot of time in California, including nine straight months in LA in 2012. There is something to be said *in general* for great consistent weather. But *for me* the weather, and more specifically the changing of the seasons, is how I "mark time." When I was in LA for that long stretch it didn't register for me that we had moved from spring to summer to fall to winter again becuase it was all the same. I felt like I lost an entire year because of the sameness. I know some people love it, but it was disconcerting for me.

Just my two (crazy) cents!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1400028612|3672177 said:
A no brainer, SF!... ;)) probably one of the most beautiful city in the US.

actually, one of the most beautiful cities in the world!

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Although I have since moved, I lived in the Bay Area for most of my life. You mentioned in your other thread that your housing budget was 650 - 700k. Unless the offer for the SF job makes a huge upward revision in your budget, I wouldn't move your family to the Bay Area. Over the years I met many transplants who had heard about/read about the high cost of living, but they were still astonished once they actually got there. Everything is expensive, but housing is especially expensive. You won't be able to afford to live anywhere "nice", and your husband will likely end up with a horrendous commute. Over time a long and stressful commute can really have a negative effect on your quality of life. Since we moved my husband no longer commutes (he now works remotely from a home office), and we can actually afford to live in a great area. He made/makes a good salary, but it wasn't enough to really enjoy the "good life" in the Bay Area. We enjoy our lives much more now than ever before.

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Not sure what your profession is but which city would you most likely get a job offer? If that issue doesn't matter, I would look at the cost of living, which I'm sure you've factored in your decision. I have only visited SF and it's pretty expensive. Housing market is crazy overpriced and traffic is worse than SoCal. Salary offer may seem great but once you live there, your money may not go as far as you think. Many of the young engineers that I've worked with who came from other states couldn't believe how much our company offered them to relocate. It was very enticing. However after a few months living in SoCal, they realized it was far too expensive to live near where we worked. They were barely making ends meet with rent, bills, school loans etc.

You guys have great choices. Either way, both cities are beautiful. Good luck!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Chicago but I think San Fran. I know DH desperately wants to move back to the west coast where he was born and partially raised. And I love San Francisco. I know the distance from my family (my nephew especially) would be nearly impossible though, and the cost of living would...well, I don't want to know about that.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From a person who has grown up in the bay area, everything is relative. Of course, people who come from places with lower cost of living would find the transition challenging, if you did not have a very generous budget. I'm not rich, but we make it work. We can feed a family of five at a restaurant for $60-$80 for a nice meal. Not a trendy upscale place, but neighborhood haunts that offer great deals. We don't have to shop at Whole Foods to buy organic. We do farmer's markets and neighborhood grocery stores. Housing is expensive, relative to the entire country. If you buy a house and have to take out a loan, don't freak at a loan of $500K. The value of your property will only go up over the long haul, and I'm not talking about 5 years. I'm talking 10-20-30 years. I've been here at least 40 years, and I know and have seen it. (Even with the dotcom bust) Traffic can be bad. People adapt. They take the train in to SF, BART, bus, etc. Believe it or not, I drive every day from the peninsula to downtown SF, and it takes me 40 minutes on a good day, and 1 hour on a bad. My DH works from home.

We would never move from the Bay Area (except maybe to retire in Maui...so not happening). Living in this city, bay area, is so rich and interesting, that I do take it for granted. When I travel, I realize how much the bay area has that so many places do not. It's also about the vibe, the culturally diverse neighborhoods, restaurants, stores, activities (Carnaval this weekend on Mission street). But, if those things are not that important to you, and you just want a nice neighborhood, and to live in a spacious house with land and good schools for your kids, it will be hard to do that on a very limited budget in the bay area. You may have checked that 2000 square foot house can easily go for $800K-over $1MM, depending on neighborhood and housing criteria.

How much do you have for a down payment? How big of a house do you want to buy? Do you plan on sending your kids to private or public school? I can give you more specifics if you provide these details.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never been to Chicago and the last time I was in San Fran was when I was really young, but mostly I'd pick San Fran because it's close to the water!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I didn't read the responses till after. Maybe Chicago w/the nice big house and stick a pool in the back yard for a water view ;))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1400087953|3672700 said:

I didn't read the responses till after. Maybe Chicago w/the nice big house and stick a pool in the back yard for a water view ;))

Chicago has water--Lake Michigan!!

chicago-north-shore-hotel-local-lake-top.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

You got the info on the Chicago weather, which gets to you after a while. But no-one has talked about the feel of the people in both places. I may get in trouble here, but after all a place is made up of people not just weather.

The people in the Midwest, are friendly. They will help you if you get lost in a car or need help finding an address. They are nice people(of course not everyone) , and it is the thing I liked the most. I came from New york, which is the opposite in helpfulness to strangers. If your husband is smart, he will likely get further in his career here than having all the competition in San Fransisco.

I agree that San Francisco is beautiful to look at. But, when i looked for rental properties, i found that while the outside was fixed the inside was very old fashioned for big big rents. I also did not like the people. I had a car, and when trying to find a space, people would yell at me, to hurry, this was San Francisco. Really nasty. They are what I call "Full of themselves".

I had a aquaintance who was gay and he went to live in San Francisco with his partner for a while. He had the same experience
that i had. In fact, he called the place evil. He moved back to Chicago, as i DID. Under the beauty there is some ugliness, IN MY Opinion.

I'm with Diamond Seeker on this. I would choose Virginia, Chicago, very last-S.F

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have something else to say about the weather.

Since I have grown up in the Bay Area, I have been spoiled by the weather. I can totally understand and appreciate that people who have had the four seasons all their lives, every year of their lives, could find it weird and would not be able to adapt to not having the four seasons and their lives not being at all restricted due to the weather.

I on the other hand, fully admit I am completely used to being able to do whatever I want to do year round, (meaning not being limited by weather) except maybe some summer sports. The worst it gets is rainy and cold in the bay area. Some days in the winter get down to 30s, but not many. I'm whining like a baby by that time. If we want snow, we go to the Sierras, 3-4 hours drive away. Good or bad, our winters seem to be getting milder and milder as well. We had some beach weather in January/February. I pretty much wear all my clothes year round. I don't have a winter wardrobe. Just layer up all the time. So the thought of having to deal with snow/ice/storms/weather so cold you cannot go outside on a regular basis is completely foreign to me. I know I could NOT adapt to that, nor would I want my life/time, limited or hindered by those factors. Of course, this is a function of me not having grown up here as well. Clearly many people in the country have adapted to this and possibly prefer a real winter. Just a preference. You know yourself and your family the best.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1400088878|3672716 said:
Hi,

You got the info on the Chicago weather, which gets to you after a while. But no-one has talked about the feel of the people in both places. I may get in trouble here, but after all a place is made up of people not just weather.

The people in the Midwest, are friendly. They will help you if you get lost in a car or need help finding an address. They are nice people(of course not everyone) , and it is the thing I liked the most. I came from New york, which is the opposite in helpfulness to strangers. If your husband is smart, he will likely get further in his career here than having all the competition in San Fransisco.

I agree that San Francisco is beautiful to look at. But, when i looked for rental properties, i found that while the outside was fixed the inside was very old fashioned for big big rents. I also did not like the people. I had a car, and when trying to find a space, people would yell at me, to hurry, this was San Francisco. Really nasty. They are what I call "Full of themselves".

I had a aquaintance who was gay and he went to live in San Francisco with his partner for a while. He had the same experience
that i had. In fact, he called the place evil. He moved back to Chicago, as i DID. Under the beauty there is some ugliness, IN MY Opinion.

I'm with Diamond Seeker on this. I would choose Virginia, Chicago, very last-S.F

Wow, "evil" huh? It's a shame his experience was so bad. Like every other major metropolitan city, you will have people that are impatient to get home, drive aggressively, are in a hurry. SF/bay area is no different. People are in a rush. As a regular commuter, I expect other drivers to be courteous of each other, not to hog up busy traffic lane while double parked waiting for someone, etc. When I am looking for parking, I drive at a reasonable pace if I am in busy traffic. I will not slow to a snail's pace just because I want to find a space. I know it is not fair to holding up a whole line of cars behind me. I'm not the only one that needs to get somewhere or get something done. It's a busy place and people need to be efficient and considerate to keep the flow going. I'm used to the hustle and bustle of a city, like New York, or Boston. Is Chicago like that or not? I don't know, but it is a major metropolitan too. And I would venture to say that there are all kinds of people (and possibly ugliness?) in every city.

As for the vibe, I've always met cool and open people, as long as you are yourself. If you want to be reserved and to yourself, you can. No one will disturb you. You get what you give off, has been my experience.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I've been to both places, but haven't lived there. I did live in another place in California, and I also had a problem with the vibe of many of the people there and the cost of living. So, I would choose Chicago, but as others said, choose a suburb that's pleasant. I'd have trouble with the harsh winters. I had my fill of them having lived in Upstate New York. The problem is that the great California weather helps cause the crowds and high cost of living. So, despite the weather, I'd still choose a Chicago suburb or Naperville.

minidancer

Shiny_Rock
I've been to both places many time, and considered relocating to both. If your husband will make enough to make living in SF do-able, I would lean toward SF.

Partially because the thought of being somewhere below 80 makes me want to cry. But maybe I'm a baby when it comes to the cold :praise:

Both cities have nice people- different kinds of nice, but both have friendly people. I personally love the midwest culture, but I have met some ornery people in both cities, and an equal amount of friendly people in both. Don't let that sway you. You can make wonderful friends in either city. :D

Both have many things to do. Both are expensive. Are you willing to live outside of the city and commute in? I think Marin County (in SF) is beautiful, although a little ways from the city.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wonderful weather and impressive natural beauty of the city and surrounding environment are my most important requirements in choosing where to live! So SF would be my first choice. I don't even care if the cost of living is high. You can live in a small house when you live somewhere that is so beautiful all year long! :love:

ETA: remember, cost of living in a city is dependent on how badly people want to live there: London, Paris, New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Vancouver, SF... all have something in common: High demand to live there, and proportionately high cost of living.

I don't know the culture where you live now, but as others have suggested, there are very very different cultures within regions of the US and Canada. I grew up on the west coat of Canada which has a very clear culture that is perhaps similar to SF in some ways. Worldly, laid back, diverse, liberal, artsy, outdoorsy. When I moved to central Canada and lived in an area just north of Chicago, I certainly noticed the cultural difference! People were more religious, less worldly in the sense of having traveled, people tended to stay in the same city all their lives, they got married and had kids younger, there was less racial diversity, people were politically more central ("conservative" by our standards, but hugely liberal by US standards still! :lol: ). I adapted and enjoyed my time there and married a man raised in that area. But the west coast is where I feel more at home, and I always will. You can't say one culture is better than the other when comparing two regions in the US or Canada. They are different. Whether YOU will enjoy one or the other depends on how similar you feel to the culture in the particular city. Have you visited either place? You can get a feel pretty quickly for a place, I have found, when travelling. Provided you take the chance to spend time with locals and not only tourist traps.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chicago suburbs--the cost of living is so much cheaper for everything--groceries, housing, restaurants, entertainment, etc. Your income won't get eaten up like it would in CA. You can buy a massive house in a beautiful neighborhood for a reasonable price. Yes, the weather is crappy in winter, but in spring, summer, and fall it's beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results