shape
carat
color
clarity

Where would you like to retire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d like to retire where I live now (coastal SoCal) or in the Barossa Valley in Australia. Or maybe somewhere a bit cooler on the coast in South Australia.

You?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kauai, Hawaii

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
No idea...I have a WHOLE lot more traveling to do before I could even think about choosing a place to retire to. For some reason I have it in my head that I''d love to live in Rhode Island, but I''ve never even visited there! I know that I''ll have to at least go there one day, but I''m not the type to make an uneducated decision, even in a total hypothetical!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We won''t be retiring any time soon. But will split the calendar year between our houses in Nantucket, FLA and PA.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
In an ideal world, Kauai (great taste Skippy!), PA and Holland.

Kauai cause it is Kauai. Heaven on earth.

PA, cause well, it is kinda home.

and Holland because all of DH''s family is in Holland and it is such a great country. I''d be most interested in living Scheveningen, near the Hague.

wse

Rough_Rock
im retired and i would never leave nyc...

ive tried it before and i just get bored everywhere else lol

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ha! Anywhere!
31.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 10:46:50 PM
Author: littlelysser

and Holland because all of DH's family is in Holland and it is such a great country. I'd be most interested in living Scheveningen, near the Hague.
Hey there Littlelysser, I think you have great taste too
9.gif
it is Heaven on earth and when I am there I have a big fat smile on 24/7 and I bet you do too hehe, ahhhhh
30.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Right here in So Ca. Preferably closer to the beach - meaning, right on the sand. DH wants a compound in Montana.
38.gif
So not me!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 10:52:17 PM
Author: Skippy123

and Holland because all of DH''s family is in Holland and it is such a great country. I''d be most interested in living Scheveningen, near the Hague.
9.gif
it is Heaven on earth and when I am there I have a big fat smile on 24/7 and I bet you do too hehe, ahhhhh
30.gif
I haven''t been there...but of course I''ve seen pics and think it''s beautiful. Are there bugs? I can''t deal with pestilence. It''s the one thing I HATE about Oz.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 10:53:53 PM
Author: Miranda
Right here in So Ca. Preferably closer to the beach - meaning, right on the sand. DH wants a compound in Montana.
38.gif
So not me!
It is lovely, isn''t it? Despite what people think about L.A.! Manhattan Beach is my hometown...would have loved to retire there but who knew it was going to be so expensive! Plus it really is changing and the McMansions really have changed the landscape of what I remember to be my hometown.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 10:54:06 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 7/7/2008 10:52:17 PM
Author: Skippy123

9.gif
30.gif
I haven''t been there...but of course I''ve seen pics and think it''s beautiful. Are there bugs? I can''t deal with pestilence. It''s the one thing I HATE about Oz.
There aren''t many bugs really. I was never bit and we hiked in the swamp.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I hear you on hating bugs. I wouldn''t mind gardening, but all those darn bugs in the soil just squeeeee me out. And god forbid if a silverfish or something gets into the house. Ugh. Just gave myself the chills just thinking about it.

We were in Kauai last September and I don''t really remember there being many bugs. Just asked DH and he had the same feeling. Might be a time of the year thing, I''m not sure.

There were definitely bugs on Maui. Big Huge Cockroachie bugs. I''m still scarred.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
What a great topic.Hard to decide? Maybe somewhere in Europe for 6 months and Aruba, Barbados? or New Zealand for the rest of the year.O well I would need lots of money for that lots more than I have.I am on a beer budget and champagne taste.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 10:59:17 PM
I hear you on hating bugs. I wouldn''t mind gardening, but all those darn bugs in the soil just squeeeee me out. And god forbid if a silverfish or something gets into the house. Ugh. Just gave myself the chills just thinking about it.

We were in Kauai last September and I don''t really remember there being many bugs. Just asked DH and he had the same feeling. Might be a time of the year thing, I''m not sure.

There were definitely bugs on Maui. Big Huge Cockroachie bugs. I''m still scarred.
LOL, I saw a roach the size of a Lizard on the big island and thought I would die. No, the helicopter guide said there aren''t many bugs so I think people never really brought them over? I wonder. I have been then in the spring the couple of times I was there.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know I think it depends on where my kids end up residing. I would like to have a place down South. I LOVE New Orleans and then Nate loves Atlanta. My family has a home on Martha''s Vineyard and I have to say that I enjoy it there. And then I would really like to move back to PA.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 10:55:48 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 7/7/2008 10:53:53 PM
38.gif
So not me!
It is lovely, isn''t it? Despite what people think about L.A.! Manhattan Beach is my hometown...would have loved to retire there but who knew it was going to be so expensive! Plus it really is changing and the McMansions really have changed the landscape of what I remember to be my hometown.
Yes it is! Although I don''t live in LA (I''m south OC), I adore it! I feel alive whenever I''m in the city. I have family in Manhattan beach. Their house is a few doors from the shore. The bought it for beans 50+ years ago. It is now worth
6.gif
Who knew? I haven''t been there for years, but, for as long as I can remember it has always been quaint and beautiful. Are there new developments? Or just *ahem* renovations to existing homes?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 11:03:02 PM
Yes it is! Although I don''t live in LA (I''m south OC), I adore it! I feel alive whenever I''m in the city. I have family in Manhattan beach. Their house is a few doors from the shore. The bought it for beans 50+ years ago. It is now worth
6.gif
Who knew? I haven''t been there for years, but, for as long as I can remember it has always been quaint and beautiful. Are there new developments? Or just *ahem* renovations to existing homes?
Lots of homes being bought, torn down and giant monstrosities being built. The Strand has its first 3 lot home being built....10,000 sq ft on the strand. It''s awful. I miss the beachy bungalow feel, but I guess if you can afford MB now, you''re not going to live in a 1200 sq ft bungalow.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
hum, great question. i still back on the where do we want to live now/next stage. i know i haven't traveled enough to know where we'd like to retire. where's the happiest place on earth? (no, not disney) was it sweden? denmark? i can't remember. but that's my vote until we get some more traveling in. eeks that sounds scary. i haven't been to either of those places! haha.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
ah, it''s denmark. link

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love somewhere warm, maybe tropical, with golf for hubby, nice restaurants, culture and shops for me. If it would not have all of that it would need to be easy to get to a city environment that does have those things. But golf is a must, and I would love to be on the water.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 11:45:12 PM
Author: diamondfan
I would love somewhere warm, maybe tropical, with golf for hubby, nice restaurants, culture and shops for me. If it would not have all of that it would need to be easy to get to a city environment that does have those things. But golf is a must, and I would love to be on the water.
Hm...I would think it would be hard to get ALL that in one place. But Carmel, CA comes to mind...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG, I love Carmel.

Hubby and I talk about going back to Cali for retirement, as we are not really Florida people. I might also honestly like a great brownstone in NYC and then a home somewhere warm, for the winter. Older folks have issues with severe cold and falls are always a risk. I might be able to go Florida, somewhere lovely, for the winter months, as long as there was water outside my windows.

San Diego is also a possibility but have to say I have some fears of earthquakes going back to California. May be irrational and silly but it is real for me!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Somewhere I wouldn''t have to shovel snow or ride the subway ... but be able to walk to shops & see the water.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...seems like Diamondfan AND Deco should retire in Carmel!
1.gif

Yes, earthquakes suck...we are due one soon, I know it and now that I have the kid, it scares me. But I''ve been through a few quakes and I still say it is worth living in California.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Lake Como please.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Somewhere far away from my family
25.gif
, just me and my kitties and possibly a puppy :).

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
On a lake in the Poconos in Pennsylvania, or Sandy Bay, Tasmania...or maybe close but not *too* close to J''s family in northern England. They''re all near water and relatively isolated and peaceful...I want some peace and quiet, with ''stuff'' nearby but not too close.

Northern Lights

Rough_Rock

DH and I are far from retiring, but I can dream!
12.gif

If we were to retire in the U.S., I would want to live in Newport Beach (If I ever win the Lottery), DC, or NYC.

If retiring in Europe, I would like to spend my summers in Denmark or Norway, and winters along the Mediterranean (Spain or France).

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably the Gold Coast in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results