shape
carat
color
clarity

where/who started the bride side pay for...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the wedding tradition?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
It''s in place of a dowery.

A long time ago a woman''s family would give the husband money/ valuables to help cover the wife''s living costs (in some cultures). It made sure she was provided for while they stared a life together.

This evolved into spending money on stuff for the bride (a trousseau), And now that modern brides already provide for themselves, the money is spent on the wedding instead.

It''s nice to give a woman a grand send-off and celebrate her status as a fully mature woman.

It''s also a pride thing for the father of the bride - it''s a way for him to show how wealthy and sucessful he is - that he can put on such a lavish wedding for his daughter.

You have some daughters don''t you DF?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
He has two. I believe the older one is about 22 or so?

Better start saving your pennies DF!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And if the oldest DD's spending habits are an indication, I think she'll be wanting a $$$$ wedding...
2.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Actually DF, I think in Chinese cultures the groom''s side pays.
31.gif

Date: 10/17/2009 3:38:49 AM
Author: VRBeauty
And if the oldest DD''s spending habits are an indication, I think she''ll be wanting a $$$$ wedding...
2.gif

Exactly what I was thinking.

I like the tradition......

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2009 11:11:53 AM
Author: choro72
Actually DF, I think in Chinese cultures the groom''s side pays.
31.gif
2.gif
9.gif
yetanotherdancyguy.gif

Camille

Shiny_Rock
DF isf off the hook just like russian, filipino, middle eastern, latin, etc....lucky guy.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2009 12:27:08 PM
Author: Camille
DF isf off the hook just like russian, filipino, middle eastern, latin, etc....lucky guy.
don''t tell the Americans.
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Doesn''t the custom hark back to the giving of a dowry to the betrothed girl''s future husband by the family of the bride?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to be cynical, but to put it in the most basic terms, I think the custom goes back to the parents of the bride ( who traditionally had no ability to earn money and therefore no economic value) paying the parents of the the groom (who had the ability to "make a living") to take the bride off their hands and provide for her livelihood.

Traditionally marriage has far more to do with economics and property rights than with love...

Camille

Shiny_Rock
LOL DF
13.gif

Yep VRBeauty, economic$ still plays a role.....but you know, after you have invested in kid''s education and what not, you want them to be comfortable, can''t live on love alone.
«~cynical mom .02 ¢

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
It''s different in every culture. For the Chinese, traditionally the man''s family pays for the wedding.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2009 12:56:35 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 10/17/2009 12:27:08 PM
Author: Camille
don''t tell the Americans.
9.gif
What happens if your daughters choose to marry American men? Their families won''t feel it''s their obligation to pay for the wedding.

Better hope they don''t decide to marry American!!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results