shape
carat
color
clarity

where to get your hair done in west-suburban chicago

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I moved to the west suburbs of Chicago (namely Willowbrook, then Brookfield) four years ago, and have found one, count it, one hairdresser that really made me happy with my hair...that was in Riverside. She is no longer doing hair, thanks to some female problems which require her to be off her feet--she''s trying to have a baby--and I have been through countless salons, friends of friends, etc., since then. Does anyone know of ANYONE who does an outstanding job on color/cut in the western burbs? I have a girl right now who works mostly downtown, but part time in the burbs and is "good" versus "great" in those departments. I haven''t been able to find anyone since my wedding two years ago who was as great as the girl who ended up leaving. I feel like I''ve exhausted all my efforts with the real world and am turning to any fellow Chicagoans to help me out online! Thank you, your help is much appreciated!!!

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I can help you out with the NW suburbs. Not in the western suburbs much! Good Luck!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry...I don''t know the western suburbs at all...I''m so bad, I know the north shore and the north side of the city til the loop...and there my knowledge ends
3.gif
However, I looked up Brookfield on Yahoo and clicked on the businesses listed and there were two recommendations, Salon Chevrie and 333 North Salon. I don''t know anything about those....just that people left good comments about them. Maybe another option would be if you work in another area to look there or ask co-workers? I get my hair done in the city, which is a pain, but I love the girl who does it so it is worth the inconvenience. Good luck! I know how irritating that is to find all the good places when you move.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
This may be too far for you to go, but I used to go to the Mario Tricossi Salon in Oak Brook. There was a woman named Nikki that did a great job with my hair. I stopped going there because I moved farther out and it would now be a 45 minute drive for me to go there.

One of my girlfriends lives in Willowbrook and I''ll give her a call tonight and see who she goes to.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
When I used to live in Naperville I went to ''Simply Hair'' on the corner of Rickert and Ogden Ave.
I loved my hairdresser (name escapes me now of course)

but I also loved loved loved getting pedicures there - massage chair, massages up to your knee, with complimentary glasses of wine.......sigh........small towns
7.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I realize this question was asked quite a long, long time ago and I really don''t have an answer but... I''ve been using someone downtown since I was 10 and she is fabulous. If willing to go downtown, she works at Sho and her name is Esther. She is great! The parking isn''t too bad b/c it''s not central downtown (about Wells and Chicago). Hopefully though, by now you''ve found somewhere great by you!

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Monarch - did you find a good stylist? I totally forgot to post that my girlfriend that lives in Willowbrook goes all the way out to Orland Park to get her hair cut/highlighted. I know of a place right by where you used to work in Darien that my SIL goes to. I also know a couple of good places in Naperville if you want to come out my way.
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Amy for the heads up on the downtown salon. I don''t know how I feel about going to the city...mostly petrified, lol! The only time I go downtown is with my husband, either out with friends or to Cubs games, other than that, I''ve never been by myself. However, Garrett''s popcorn has been on my mind lately so I might risk it.

Pebbles, I''ve still been going to my girl in Darien. She''s at Celestine, on Plainfield and Cass, in case you know of it. I''m not UNHAPPY with her, I think I just have really high expectations (you know, I wanna look like a rock star when I''m done, only I never do...
9.gif
) Where does your friend go in Orland? One of my girlfriends manages Jeffrey Lamour (or something like that) by the mall there. Oh, and where does you SIL go? I went to J.Vincent''s, or that''s what it used to be, for a while but I had not just one but two bad hair experiences there.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Acutally, J. Vincents is where my SIL goes.
6.gif
I''m sorry you had a bad experience there. She''s been going there for years and likes it.

My friend goes to Perry George on 151st Street. I went there with my bridal party to get my hair done for my wedding. I would continue to go there (my mom still goes there in fact) but it''s a pretty far drive for me now.

My neighbor goes to the Mario Triccosi in Yorktown Mall. That''s a hike from where I live now, but it was right by my school so I went there too for a while. I seem to change places every few haircuts!
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Pebbles! I had a feeling you were going to say "J. Vincent''s!" I should have said I had more good experiences there than bad...they did my highlights and color before my wedding and I just loved it. I also worked with the previous owner on several fashion shows we did for women''s groups, etc. in the area and he was great. I think one of the stylists (Michelle?) bought him out, though. I went to her for color a few times, including my highlights, and she did a great job, until I decided I wanted to get brighter, bolder, highlights and my hair was so brassy I had to have her completely re-do it. It was fine until my roots started to become really noticeable and I decided I wanted to go back to my original color. They scheduled me with an older lady who''d never worked with me before, and she ended up dying my hair not back to it''s original root color, but completely black. My husband was in total shock. I was trying to have a good attitude about it, after all, I knew it would eventually fade out, but he was like "No, I can''t believe they ruined your hair, it looks awful!" LOL! He is brutally honest sometimes, which normally I like about him, but not in that case! Anyway, it was at that point that I stopped going there. I''ve never heard anything else negative about them, though, just to clarify in case others read this. I don''t want to be bad-mouthing anyone''s salon!

I think since I''m basically happy with my gal in Darien for now I will stick with her. It''s not her work that doesn''t make me completely happy, it''s more like my wanting a total change every few months! I teeter-totter back and forth on whether I want my natural look or bold highlights, so she has to deal with my indecisiveness without wrecking my hair in the process! BTW, I have really long hair and she has kept it in great condition through all my color changes, and that''s a lot to ask for from any hairdresser!

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
gah, Im so jealous of you girls who still live in chicagoland. I miss my home and my people! i used to go to mario tricoci in oak brook and skokie when i was there too :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PNP, did you find anyone to do your hair yet? It''s so hard, I know. Worst case scenario: you could always come to Chicago for the weekend and make a stop at Mario Tricosi''s for a good hair fix!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
mmmmmmmmmmmm Garretts popcorn
emlove.gif

jmartini

Rough_Rock
I know that you said you were going to stick with your salon in Darien, but there''s a really great salon in Lomabard...Effigy Salon (630) 268-9911. Ask for Irene, she''s the owner. She''s the best hair dresser I''ve found (and I''ve gone to lots of them!!!) Very modern salon and she *loves* to make recommendations for something different. I''ve tried other places, not wanting to drive so far, and then ended up going back to her to fix the other hair dresser''s mistakes.

Good luck to you!
Jen

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2006 9:50:06 AM
Author: monarch64
PNP, did you find anyone to do your hair yet? It''s so hard, I know. Worst case scenario: you could always come to Chicago for the weekend and make a stop at Mario Tricosi''s for a good hair fix!

LOL! Not yet. I''ve been working 6-7 days a week lately so I have no time to go to the salon, but I am gonna check out some of the places PSers have suggested.

I will never find anyone like my darling Melanie in Maumee Ohio. She made my hair look better than any stylist I ever went to!

SP, you did have to go and mention Garretts didnt you! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
18.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2006 5:39:08 PM
Author: jmartini
I know that you said you were going to stick with your salon in Darien, but there''s a really great salon in Lomabard...Effigy Salon (630) 268-9911. Ask for Irene, she''s the owner. She''s the best hair dresser I''ve found (and I''ve gone to lots of them!!!) Very modern salon and she *loves* to make recommendations for something different. I''ve tried other places, not wanting to drive so far, and then ended up going back to her to fix the other hair dresser''s mistakes.

Good luck to you!
Jen

OK Jen, I''m about to take your advice here... Lombard is not too terribly far from me, in fact Yorktown Mall is one of my favorite places to shop (usually at Von Maur), so I''d be willing to drive there for a great hair experience. I think I''ll call Irene up today and see if they can at least schedule a consultation for me. Thank you for the rec.!

Garretts is the best! I know it''s not the same, but you CAN order it online or by phone (www.garrettpopcorn.com) and have it shipped to you!!! Of course, the shipping charges can be more than the cost of the popcorn, but still... The last time I waited in line for a mini mix it took me 45 minutes (not too bad) but I ate the whole thing on the way back to the burbs. You stand there for 45 minutes waiting for them to make more caramel corn and take cash out of the register every 5 minutes, and you work up an appetite!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results