shape
carat
color
clarity

where to find smaller size <1ct pink or purple sapphires?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
hi all
i have seen a couple of websites that sell sapphires.
1) most of them are selling pretty large size sapphires
i am looking for something that would fit in a necklace pendant..
2) i am not sure what are reputable websites to buy from

could i get help from you all please?
thanks

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
This is actually a good time to be shopping for sub-carat pink and violet sapphires, since there is a lot of unheated Tanzanian material currently on the market in that size.

There is a vendor list posted in this forum, so that is probably a good place to start.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
This is actually a good time to be shopping for sub-carat pink and violet sapphires, since there is a lot of unheated Tanzanian material currently on the market in that size.

so is that a good thing or a bad thing? how are stones from tanzanian like?
i am so lost finding sub 1ct pink sapphires.
i want to get a nice necklace for my gf ''s 30th bday!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mark,
The first thing I’d like to ask you is whether you mind your sapphire to be heated or must it be totally untreated? There are some who feel that the stone must be totally untreated, some who don’t mind heat treatments, and others even less fussy and accept a various host of treatments. Personally, I don’t mind my sapphire to be heat treated. However, if it is a very special occasion, say for the 20th anniversary where I have an extremely healthy budget, then I’d go for the untreated sapphire. Origin does not play a role in my choice because you can get very poor to very nice stones from each location.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Chrono
Frankly I am not sure.

I just started looking into coloured gems because I thought it would make a nice gift.
I am in the process of buying an ering for my girlfriend and after i wandered into the coloured gem forum i have been very attracted to the colours here.

Lovely stones.

I suppose heated is usually cheaper than untreated right?
There are so many pros and cons.
It would be nice to buy unheated just so I can say its unheated and all natural..

I find that photos online is not representative of the coloured gems and I am afraid that buying something online may not reflect the true colour i thought it would be.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
chrono

how are the prices from NSC?
i really like their website and layout. I find that good websites make it easier for a consumer. Weather they have good products or fair pricing is another matter.

I read a bunch of mixed reviews from NSC.

What is the general consensus here on their products and values?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correct, heated is usually less expensive than untreated. However, depending on the quality, heated can look much nicer than unheated. In addition, the selection for heated is greater than unheated. I understand your wanting untreated because then you know it’s sort of straight out of the ground. There is certainly a special appeal to that thought.

I also understand your concern about photography which is why I only purchase from a select few trusted vendors whose photographs accurately show the colour I expect to see in person. I also ask the vendors questions about how the stone behaves in different lighting to avoid surprises. All good vendors have a generous return policy so that’s a plus. There is a thread at the top of the CS section showing how each vendors’ photography stack up compared to what the customer receives and sees in person. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vendor-pictures-and-owner-pictures-of-ps-stones.109420/

ETA
I also always ask for additional pictures, particularly a side view and back view, and one on the back of the hand in between 2 fingers which normally shows the most accurate colour.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard both good things and not so nice things about their customer service. A definite plus for them is their large inventory and easy to use webpage. Personally, I find them overpriced. However, if a person is time scrunched for an unheated sapphire, I will not hesitate to recommend NSC because their chance of finding something suitable is greater.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 3:49:41 PM
Author: Chrono
Personally, I find them overpriced. .
generally or occasionally?

chrono thanks you have been very helpful

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 3:47:01 PM
which is why I only purchase from a select few trusted vendors

are the links from above whom you would recommend as the trusted vendors?

good return policy is great but if i want to see a few stones together, i have to pay for return shipping on the stones i do not like
oh wells..
i wish there is a local place i could go and take my time to view the gemstones
8.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Intergem will be in Marlborough MA in mid-November. Admittedly, there were a lot of beads and other non-gem stuff there at their mid-July show but I''m hoping that the show closer to the holidays will have better stuff.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Mark, if you''re not price-sensitive, it would certainly be better to buy from a local dealer where you can view a number of sapphires in person.

I believe you''ll find the best prices on these goods from online dealers in Thailand.

I mentioned the unheated Tanzanian sapphires because, unusually, there are a lot of them around right now and the prices are very good in sub-carat sizes (perhaps around $100-150, depending on the size and color). This is a price point that would normally get you only a heated stone. So there''s an opportunity to turn your purchase into something special without spending a fortune. Whatever you buy, insist on a certificate from an independent lab, especially for an unheated stone.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 8:24:35 PM
Author: morecarats
Mark, if you''re not price-sensitive, it would certainly be better to buy from a local dealer where you can view a number of sapphires in person.

I believe you''ll find the best prices on these goods from online dealers in Thailand.

I mentioned the unheated Tanzanian sapphires because, unusually, there are a lot of them around right now and the prices are very good in sub-carat sizes (perhaps around $100-150, depending on the size and color). This is a price point that would normally get you only a heated stone. So there''s an opportunity to turn your purchase into something special without spending a fortune. Whatever you buy, insist on a certificate from an independent lab, especially for an unheated stone.

hi morecarats!

why are prices the best from dealers from thailand?
are they nearer the source?
has it to do with the currency exchange rate?
are most coloured gemstones cut there?

i will try to find Tanzanian sapphires...
ahhh i just dont know where to look properly

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Thailand is pretty much the main cutting and trading center in the world for sapphires. It is had traditionally been a wholesale market, but there are now dealers who sell directly to consumers. There are some well known online dealers in Thailand who have been in business for years, such as ajsgems.com, gemselect.com and multicolour.com. There is also wildfishgems.com in Sri Lanka.

I would recommend avoiding the dealers who do their selling on eBay, though some people in this forum believe there may be some reliable dealers there.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 3:41:02 PM
Author: haagen_dazs
chrono

how are the prices from NSC?

i really like their website and layout. I find that good websites make it easier for a consumer. Weather they have good products or fair pricing is another matter.

I read a bunch of mixed reviews from NSC.

What is the general consensus here on their products and values?

NCS is incredibly overpriced imho..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2009 4:39:03 PM

Date: 10/22/2009 3:49:41 PM
Personally, I find them overpriced. .
generally or occasionally?

chrono thanks you have been very helpful
You are welcome.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2009 4:41:15 PM

Date: 10/22/2009 3:47:01 PM

which is why I only purchase from a select few trusted vendors

are the links from above whom you would recommend as the trusted vendors?
Yes, that is correct.
good return policy is great but if i want to see a few stones together, i have to pay for return shipping on the stones i do not like
oh wells..
This is why it is important to purchase from a vendor who takes accurate pictures, takes the time to answer all your questions and also is willing to take additional pictures for you.
i wish there is a local place i could go and take my time to view the gemstones
8.gif

You have also brought up an interesting question. Do you know exactly what you want? The right shade of pink? Have you seen any in person? If you can, try to see as many in B&Ms to decide which you prefer so when you shop online, it’ll be easier to narrow down your selection.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know exactly what you want? The right shade of pink?
Hahaha =)
If only it was that easy.

I wasnt looking for gem stones but I decided to put into this forum and OMG...........

I love colours because thats just who I am. I am passionate about photography so that helps.
I could described colours that I like in a 256 256 256 concept but then its very hard if people''s computers are not calibrated.

So lets see

How about a pinky pink like Victoria''s secret pink? With sparkle and life?

How about a prilosec purle that is vivid and sparkly?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get the idea that you are looking for a vivid pink but medium in tone? Are we talking baby pink? You are talking the girly pink, right?
Prilosec purple actually is actually more easily found in amethysts.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like pink, maybe consider pink tourmaline? It can come in a Victoria Secret kind of pink. Pink spinels can also be a nice option, they are very sparkly and come in baby and pastel pinks that fit into a reasonable budget. Both of those types of stones are relatively untreated and unheated.

Also, you can occasionally find a decently priced sapphire on NSC. I bought my .5ct padparadscha sapphire there, and the price was on par with other pads I found from other cutters of similar quality. It may require some careful hunting and a little bit of negotiating though.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 11:50:16 AM
I get the idea that you are looking for a vivid pink but medium in tone? Are we talking baby pink? You are talking the girly pink, right?

Prilosec purple actually is actually more easily found in amethysts.

what is baby pink and what is girly pink?
oh man those are quite subjective terms...

both these look yummy great
expect that 200+bucks more to buy 0.5mm is ><"
Hot Pink Sapphire: .88 ct.

Gem Rhodocrosite: 1.47 ct.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the small ruby that Gene has listed right now, it''s not a baby pink, it''s rather a more vivacious lipstick color but I thought you might want to see anyways. And his photos are almost always dead on.

PG ruby
(It''s the small one at the top of the page)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's hot pink you're looking for...
gt pink

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mahenge spinels are a notorious hot pink too. This one is from Gene at precisiongem, he doesn''t have any currently listed, but you can contact him and ask if he has anything on the small side that hasn''t been claimed yet.

mspinelpg.jpg

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 12:06:23 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I really like the small ruby that Gene has listed right now, it''s not a baby pink, it''s rather a more vivacious lipstick color but I thought you might want to see anyways. And his photos are almost always dead on.

PG ruby

(It''s the small one at the top of the page)

yeah i actually inquired about that gemstone.
funny thing is, my girlfriend likes pink and purple but not red
haha

anyone here who have such tastes for colours too?
=p

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh, I don't know why the Gemtrader link isn't working, but here's the hot pink sapphire they have (it's heated though)

It's .6ct, 5.5 x 4.3mm

gtsapppink.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 11:55:22 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
If you like pink, maybe consider pink tourmaline? It can come in a Victoria Secret kind of pink. Pink spinels can also be a nice option, they are very sparkly and come in baby and pastel pinks that fit into a reasonable budget. Both of those types of stones are relatively untreated and unheated.

Also, you can occasionally find a decently priced sapphire on NSC. I bought my .5ct padparadscha sapphire there, and the price was on par with other pads I found from other cutters of similar quality. It may require some careful hunting and a little bit of negotiating though.
I’ve been told to presume all pink tourmalines are heated today.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 12:05:33 PM

what is baby pink and what is girly pink?
oh man those are quite subjective terms...

both these look yummy great
expect that 200+bucks more to buy 0.5mm is ><''
Hot Pink Sapphire: .88 ct.

Gem Rhodocrosite: 1.47 ct.
Very nice pink sapphires can cost a lot, even more if unheated. I second the suggestion of spinels as an untreated alternative.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
between spinels, tourmalines and garnets and pink sapphires (all the the "red" family)
could someone tell me how they rank in preciousness?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results