shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy yellow sapphires?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

uplift

Rough_Rock
Hi there

I am new to this forum - and I have actually registered just to be able to ask this question, hoping there are some seriously experienced gemstone buyers in here who can give me a hint or two.

Where is the best place to buy natural yellow sapphires?

for a year or so I have been looking for natural yellow sapphires - and I am willing to pay for it too, but I am very inexperienced and am kind of scared of paying too much or falling for the wrong kind of stone :).. those heated, treated stones - I am sure they ar enice, but still.

I have read a lot and I have searched alot - and there are lots of yellow sapphires that looks nice, but.. I also know that sellers will do their best to sell at the best price - naturally.

happy holidays

35.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mastercutgems.com has some, but I''m not sure how vivid they are in color. Typically, for a vivid yellow gem in natural untreated color, it''s expensive. Most yellow sapphires are lattice diffused to get the color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Natural Sapphire Company seems to have quite a good selection although on the expensive side.
Awesomegems sometimes has a few too.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJS also have one or two but most are diffused.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hallo Uplift,

On the one side of the natural spectrum you have bright yellow sapphires. They are of light tone and often have a good dash of green, leaning towards lemon. These are mostly Sri Lankan, rarely Burmese, often Australian (getting more green than yellow)

Then you will see those yellows from Africa with an earthy orange hue, turning golden brown in the extreme, some call those ''cognac'' sapphires. Sometime cognac sapphires come from Sri Lanka too, but not many.

In the bright yellow section you should shy away from windows and inclusions because they are so unforgiving in these gems. They are great sparklers and are true ''luster gems''. A bright yellow, brilliant-cut sapphire is a great sight.

In the earthy golden-yellow section inclusions are not so terrible, but you might be able to save some money there. However those are more ''color gems'', and even when cut for brilliancy they remain less brilliant.

RainbowRocks

Rough_Rock
Uplift,

I''m new here too. Welcome. Just wondering if you are working on a particular jewelry project? What leads you to yellow sapphire? Care to share?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure Jeff White of http://www.whitesgems.com/ mentioned to me he has some yellows - his sapphires are always lovely.
(see avatar)
2.gif

uplift

Rough_Rock
Hi All - thanks for helping out :)

I am looking for the middle yellow stones - not brownish and not too green. I just saw a yellow sapphire today that has been lying in a vault for more than 10 years it seems. It was completely clear - a bit greenish and big: 6,7 ct. Oval and sparkled the most wonderfull yellow lights. The price was a bit cheap compared to other sapphires of this size I think ($11560 - still ALOT of money to me, but maybe not compared to other stones of this size?)- but I am just a beginner in this field. Anyway I got a bit suspicious
28.gif
since he had no idea where it was from in the world or if it was treated or not, even though he seemed honest enough.
Nice and sincere guy - he really liked his job and I was well prepared having read a lot, så his hands started shaking when I dismissed the first 2, strong orange looking and kind of unclear sapphires. And they were heartshaped, not my thing - guess I am a very oldfashiones person in a way...

SO I definately liked the stone, but... something wasn''t quite there. Actually I am not entirely sure what I am looking for :D. Anyone know that problem?

I saw your yellow sapphires online Ed - and thanks for your advice, it is very helpfull to a complete newbie.

uplift

Rough_Rock
Well.. what I am looking for - very good question.

about 6,5 ct of yellow sapphires in any kind of combination - but I want them to suit eachother since they will all eventually be set in the same ring. Not too green, not too brown. Someting well cut, unheated, untreated, origin known etc. Some years ago I got the advice from my astrologer to get me some yellow saphhires at about 7 rati (6,37ct)for a ring.. but apart from that I have just grown a passion for these little buggars and now I just want something really nice. Unfortunately I live in a country with ZERO gemstones in the underground - we just have clay and flintstones.. good for growing crobs, not so much for growing gemstones :D

the ring: I want it to have a feminine and organic look - I am not all that much into princesslike rings. They are pretty, but they wouldn't suit me well - and anyway I guess with the sapphires I am looking for, the ring will have to be worked around the stones.
I am also nuts about mechanical devices and have a few ideas about how to make a ring with a few moveable parts, so the stones can be viewed from different angles. Feminine and industrial at the same time - who knows. Mayby it will take me 10 years to get the ring done, but I am sure it will be worth it! (ok, hopefully not that long!)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2010 2:14:45 PM
Author: uplift
Well.. what I am looking for - very good question.

about 6,5 ct of yellow sapphires in any kind of combination - but I want them to suit eachother since they will all eventually be set in the same ring. Not too green, not too brown. Someting well cut, unheated, untreated, origin known etc. Some years ago I got the advice from my astrologer to get me some yellow saphhires at about 7 rati (6,37ct)for a ring.. but apart from that I have just grown a passion for these little buggars and now I just want something really nice. Unfortunately I live in a country with ZERO gemstones in the underground - we just have clay and flintstones.. good for growing crobs, not so much for growing gemstones :D

the ring: I want it to have a feminine and organic look - I am not all that much into princesslike rings. They are pretty, but they wouldn't suit me well - and anyway I guess with the sapphires I am looking for, the ring will have to be worked around the stones.
I am also nuts about mechanical devices and have a few ideas about how to make a ring with a few moveable parts, so the stones can be viewed from different angles. Feminine and industrial at the same time - who knows. Mayby it will take me 10 years to get the ring done, but I am sure it will be worth it! (ok, hopefully not that long!)
Oh my goodness that's a wish list! Ok, well, it may be problematic I'm afraid, and your search a reasonably long one because you're very exact on your colour liking, size and cut. To be honest, you've described (to me) the perfect yellow. It's what I look for in a yellow sapphire also. Finding a natural one in over 2ct in the colour you're searching for would be a challenge but over 6ct? WOW.

I have a suggestion ......... if the stone in the jeweller's safe was the exact colour you're looking for but he didn't know the provenance or treatment then why don't you split the cost with him and send it to a lab for origin and treatment identification? You could then perhaps say that you'd buy it if it comes back as X or Y but not if it's Z? That way, neither of you lose. I would most definitely think about it because just finding the colour you want will be tough going.

Edit: NSC have some so you could perhaps compare colour/price/size etc http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Yellow/#&&/wEXAQUGc3RvbmVzBSExJDAkJDI0JCBhbmQgICByZWN1dHdlaWdodCA+PTUkMiQ=

uplift

Rough_Rock
Oh... I think I must have explained it badly. I need a set of stones that together will be around 6,5 ct.. but not something like 10 smaller ones. 2 or three stones at most - 2 preferably. Would that be possible?
Its a little distressing hearing about the colour though, since that is so important. But I will go back and se the 6,7 sapphire again - the colour was a little on the green side, but maybe it would be ok. And I will ask him if he would concider splitting the cost for analysis and certificate - that is a really great idea. Thanks :D
I will take a look at the NSC and see what they have.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results