shape
carat
color
clarity

Where is the rap sheet? Help please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

doree miles

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''m new the this board and posted a thread a few days ago about blue flourescense. I have a stone set in a ring that I want to sell and I have no idea what a good price would be. It was suggested I look at the rap sheet.

I see on the top of this page where it says price stat. Is this the current rap sheet? Or is the rap sheet something else?

My stone is class 1-B cut, 1.2 ct, D, VVS1

On the price stat page it says 11,571 highest and 10,731 lowest. Am I looking at the right page? And then discount it 40% to sell it?

Thank you,

Doree

doree miles

Rough_Rock
I just got back from the coin/jewlery dealer. Here is what was offered. the dealer pulled out a rap report dated in 2001.

then for VVS1, D, 1.2 ct, round, class is 1-B

$11,400 x 1.2 = 13,680

Then she said since its EGL, she went down to VVS2, D

so $8,700 x 1.2 = 10,440

then she divided 1/2 = 5,220

so she offered me $4,600 (I said I'd think about it)

I didn't the EGL discount was so great. Is this a reasonable offer?

Thank you for any help you can provide

Doree

Todd07

Shiny_Rock

If you search the forum for rap sheet or rapaport, you'll find some educational threads. My take is it represnets the high cash asking price in NY but is impossibly for a consumer like me to use since there are many nuances. I heard the Rap was updated monthly.

See this link for more info https://www.pricescope.com/prices.asp

I think you have a good approach in looking at price Stat for your diamond and then discounting it x%. There are also some threads that talk about selling used diamonds

doree miles

Rough_Rock
Update,

I called the store where the diamond was originally purchased for around $12,000.

They offered me $6,500 for the stone and will give me back the mounting.

This is MUCH better than the $4,600 the coin/jewelry dealer offered.

I am going to take the ring to a few jewelry stores this weekend and see what they will offer.

Any comments would be very much appreciated.

lenhejo

Rough_Rock
I am trying to find the Rap price per carat on a 3.095 E VS2 AGS 000 H&A. Can anyone help.

Thanks

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
Doree, if you share what state or city you are in maybe some of us know where to go sell it. If you don't want to share that info, rap looks like 12,500 x 1.2 x 45% is what you should get. More discount on your depth as I told you before than the "blue". EGL drops it a little as well, but the coin store was trying to make a quick $2000 selling it to a dealer. You should be around $6700. I still think Estate people due to high color and clarity. Also, not to sound like Archie Bunker, but Oriental people also like high color and clarity, if your city has an Asian area. I find my or my customers like an F, VS1 Ideal cut over a D, VVS1 average cut. But have sold many like yours to older crowd or Asians.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
John Aaron, wow, nice rock. The rap price is 53,543, there are not many of these around, if it has a full AGS cert, the seller can pretty much hold tight at about 15% under as the market will pay it. If you are selling that stone, dealers will stand in line to be about 25% back. Market is short on them, more buyers than sellers. Not many jewelers step up to buy these stones and are usually on loan from an importer. Some high end jewelers will be 25% over rap on this stone. Hope that helps.

doree miles

Rough_Rock
Hello Scott,

Thanks for the informative information. I live in Alameda, California in the San Francisco Bay Area.

On Saturday I showed the ring and EGL certificate to a shop. They said if they consigned it, they estimated I would get $7000-$7400 net. He told me since the holidays are coming up there was a good chance it would sell. The 7,000-7,400 sounds better than the $6,500.

But then I'd have the wait and see if it sells. If it doesn't then I'd have to contact the Diamond Source (where it was purchased) to see if they would still offer the $6,500.

If you know someone in the area, I would most appreciate them taking a look at it - and possible purchase it.

Otherwise, my decision is $6,500 now and the deal is done, or possible more later if it sells on consignment.

I'm going to check with another shop tomorrow. Thanks for your assistance. I have learned so much in the past week.

Doree

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Doree,

$6500 sounds like a pretty fair offer. The decision to wait for 3 months for an extra $500 depends on your need for the money, your patience for dragging out this kind of thing, and the estimated chances that it will actually sell for the higher price if you wait. If they can't sell it this Christmas, will they still give you $6500 in January?

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

doree miles

Rough_Rock
I'd like to thank everyone for your help. Since I'm not in a financial bind and have to liquidate my ring quickly, I decided to consign the ring with a jewelry store in my area that sells custom and Hearts on fire cut diamonds. The store owner liked my stone, agreed with the EGL ratings of VVS1 and D and said it was a very rare stone. So I left the ring and original EGL certificate and he said he'll clean and polish it and have it on display by the weekend.

Yes, it's a risk that it doesn't sell and I may have to wait a while, but I think I will be better off financially than selling it back to the original place of purchase.

Thank again,

dsvk

Rough_Rock
Could you tell me what the current Rap price is on an Asscher 1.52 G VVS1 GIA 71.10
74.00 VG? A friend is supposedly giving me a "deal"!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results