shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do you buy side stones? And how good quality should they be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Where do you buy side stones? At some point I''ll be hunting for trapezoid set-cut diamond side stones (two) to go with a light/aqua blue emerald cut sapphire for the ring (badly) sketched below. Just wanted to know, am I meant to be hunting for the side diamonds now, or is that more something you get the jeweller to do? Most of the big online diamond companies don''t seem to let you search for traps etc. Do you just get your jeweller or whoever is making up the ring to source the side stones and then make the setting, or do you have to find the sides yourself?

Also, since they''re just side stones (probably between .6 and .8 combined weight, depending on how big the centre sapphire I end up with is) what colour and clarity should I look for? Next to a light-blue sapphire I just want ''em to look white and not obviously included. They will be step-cut so I know inclusions will show more readily. (For comparison''s sake, if I were picking a diamond centre stone I''d go with an excellent cut H or possibly even an I that faces up very white.)

Thanks to everyone who responds, people are so helpful here.

sketches3.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually sidestones are procured by the jeweler who makes the ring. Twice more true if the sides are fancy cut (those shapes that are sold only for sides)...

F-H-VS should be supre safe for what you have in mind, IMO.

Here's one exception:
0134-00008_Pic.jpg

... anyway, I'd still leave it to the maker of the ring to find the sides. The price will likely be better and, what if they fall casualty during setting ? Better not to have that to worry about.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Thanks
21.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While Ana is right, I don''t think that actually answers your question.

Here is the problem - and I have seen this. A ring with a phenominal center stone
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
set between side stones that are deaded than a dorenob.
8.gif
8.gif

Needless to say, the overall effect was not that great
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

You actually have a choice here. How good do you want the sidestones to be?

In my case I have done something unusual. I decided that I wanted side stones on the same order of quality of cut and brilliance as the target center stone. Thus, I contacted a selection of jewlers (Internet & B&M) to find a matched set of 1/4 carat sidestones super ideal cut, and in my case with Medium Blue Fluoresence. It took about 2 months to find a set that met my specifications (these things look like little headlights - in ordinary lighting).

So while it it true that most jewelrs do in fact select the sidestones, keep in mind that most jewelers also predominantly sell "dead" stones.

I suggest that you have a heart to heart discussion with the jeweler about the quality of diamond you are putting in the center - and how close you wish to match that quality on the sidestones. You may even want to do what I did and search for that "perfect" pair of sidestones.

My best wishes on this.

Perry

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I suggest that you have a heart to heart discussion with the jeweler about the quality of diamond you are putting in the center - and how close you wish to match that quality on the sidestones. You may even want to do what I did and search for that "perfect" pair of sidestones.

Perry:
35.gif

Indecisive is accenting a sapphire for her center stone and she has laready decided on what shape she likes accenting the sapphire. The main contention is the color of the side stones.

Indecisive I think your best bet is to go with the style side stones you like. I would stay in the f-g range and go vs-2 or better on the clarity. F-G color will save you a premium on color and will still face up beautifully white providing great contrast for your sapphire center. Stick with vs-2 or better on the clarity and I think you will have yourself some beautiful white clean accent stones..
37.gif

Good Luck!
21.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2005 7:12:4 PM
Author: perry

You may even want to do what I did and search for that ''perfect'' pair of sidestones.
Yeah... it''s nice to have some choice. Could not agree more. Even if there''s no "ideal" standard for step cut traps (''guess there''s never gonna be one
3.gif
) , some are better than others allright. I have never seen even the typical table & depth measurements listed for these shapes - small as they are these are almost never graded. Some are very thin and look like shards - but it can''t be too hard to loate better. Hopefully, if the jeweler knows you are looking for quality that''s what you will get. The traps might get as bright as the typical ECs, although the assymetric cut would not be quite as bright (in a subtle way).

This is pretty much all I would know to look for about this shape
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results