shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do you buy a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pretty_n_pink

Rough_Rock
Is it better to get the diamond at the place where you purchase your ring or is it better to order offline? Im looking at between a 1 ct and 1 and a half..I just want the best diamond at the best price..so basically a good deal..Princess cut, ideally between E-G..and clairty use your best judgement..Im sure my boyfriend will buy whatever we pick out ( more like whatever I pick out) But I would like it to be less than 5000 ..Any help or suggestions would be greatly Appreciated! Thanks so much!
35.gif

Side note..What is Whiteflash? Are they safe to buy from?

StonesThrow

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 2:53:57 PM
Author:pretty_n_pink
Is it better to get the diamond at the place where you purchase your ring or is it better to order offline? Im looking at between a 1 ct and 1 and a half..I just want the best diamond at the best price..so basically a good deal..Princess cut, ideally between E-G..and clairty use your best judgement..Im sure my boyfriend will buy whatever we pick out ( more like whatever I pick out) But I would like it to be less than 5000 ..Any help or suggestions would be greatly Appreciated! Thanks so much!
35.gif

Side note..What is Whiteflash? Are they safe to buy from?

You may want to check with your vendor regarding setting your own stone in one of their settings...Whiteflash, if I remember correctly, won''t set a stone not bought from them in some of their settings, and they won''t sell the settings separately.

Have a look at the Resources section...vendors listed there meet the approval of the PS community, so to speak. And as far as Whiteflash goes...do a search. Tons of people use them.

Hope this helps, good luck!
1.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
www.whiteflash.com

we are buying form them and they are so great to work with!!

ETA: Also, if you don't live in Texas you don't have to pay sales tax and they offer a discount for Pricescope members or you could get a bankwire discount, like you can from many online vendors.

stermag

Shiny_Rock
This is merely my opinion, many have done things differently with great success, but I think it''s easiest to buy the diamond and setting from the same vendor, whether online or off. There are a couple of reasons for this that I can think of: if the diamond and setting are purchased from the same place, you don''t have to worry about (and pay for) shipping/insuring the stone from one place to another; you also don''t have to worry that the jeweler setting your diamond might damage the stone in the process and deny responsibility (blaming it on some unfortunately placed inclusion or who knows what else).

Some vendors may have policies in place explicitly stating that they will only work with diamonds that they themselves have sold, but even in absence of such a policy, I think finding a vendor you trust and whose workmanship you appreciate is the path of least resistance (which is good in this case, no?)

Also, just to prepare you a bit - if you are looking at top grade diamonds, and it does sound like it, your budget will likely allow you to find a great 1ct Princess, but is a bit low if you''re interested in something bigger and aren''t willing to sacrifice quality.

And as a side note: yes, Whiteflash is one of the best, as is GoodOldGold and James Allen, whom we purchased from. They are all reputable, well informed, trust worthy vendors.

Hope this helps. Best of luck and welcome to PS!

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
www.angeldiamond.com
that''s where I bought my diamond and my ring.

Whiteflash is a store that has a website, too - yes, they are safe to buy from!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Whiteflash:
A technical name for a way to convert money into diamonds.

Whiteflash:
A efficient method of distributing diamonds that avoids the customary detour to Carlsbad California.

Whiteflash:
Used to describe a very specialized and precise type of non-standard brillianteering.

Oh yeah, and it’s an internet jewelry store in Texas.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 3:39:27 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Whiteflash: <noun>

A technical name for a way to convert money into diamonds.

Whiteflash: <verb>

A efficient method of distributing diamonds that avoids the customary detour to Carlsbad California.

Whiteflash: <adj.>

Used to describe a very specialized and precise type of non-standard brillianteering.

Oh yeah, and it’s an internet jewelry store in Texas.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Professional Appraisals in Denver

too funny Neil
9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I highly suggest going with Ritani if that''s the setting you like. Mat. gave you some nice choices for center stones. You can purchase the stone through on vendor and the setting from another or do it all at one place. Pearlmans carries the Ritani ring you want. He can also get the diamond for you as well. If you really think that is the setting for you. I''d call or email Bill, give him your budget and see what he can do. You may even be able to negotiate a bit on price if you purchase both the stone and setting from him. Never hurts to ask
2.gif

pretty_n_pink

Rough_Rock

I highly suggest going with Ritani if that's the setting you like. Mat. gave you some nice choices for center stones. You can purchase the stone through on vendor and the setting from another or do it all at one place. Pearlmans carries the Ritani ring you want. He can also get the diamond for you as well. If you really think that is the setting for you. I'd call or email Bill, give him your budget and see what he can do. You may even be able to negotiate a bit on price if you purchase both the stone and setting from him. Never hurts to ask

I called the store nearest to me that carries Ritani and the setting is VERY reasonable! But they priced me between 9 and 10 thousand fpr tjhe diamond alone? I have seen diamonds that were 1 ct. at around 5000..maybe I am just nieve..but we dont want to spend alot on the first diamond, we would rather wait a few years then spend more money..I am just confused and If you could call and get me a quote I would be so happy..The only problem with Online ordering is my boyfriend is very skeptical of it. Hes afraid we will get ripped off or they will send a fake diamond. Is their any reassurance on Pearlmans? Im sure they are great hes just very gun shy I guess you could say of ordering my engagment ring online..Thanks so much for your help and YES this is THE ring that I would love to own..Im soooo glad I found this forum It has saved me tons of work. At least now I have people to turn to for advice that know what they are talking about..!

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 5:11:24 PM
Author: pretty_n_pink

I highly suggest going with Ritani if that''s the setting you like. Mat. gave you some nice choices for center stones. You can purchase the stone through on vendor and the setting from another or do it all at one place. Pearlmans carries the Ritani ring you want. He can also get the diamond for you as well. If you really think that is the setting for you. I''d call or email Bill, give him your budget and see what he can do. You may even be able to negotiate a bit on price if you purchase both the stone and setting from him. Never hurts to ask

I called the store nearest to me that carries Ritani and the setting is VERY reasonable! But they priced me between 9 and 10 thousand fpr tjhe diamond alone? I have seen diamonds that were 1 ct. at around 5000..maybe I am just nieve..but we dont want to spend alot on the first diamond, we would rather wait a few years then spend more money..I am just confused and If you could call and get me a quote I would be so happy..The only problem with Online ordering is my boyfriend is very skeptical of it. Hes afraid we will get ripped off or they will send a fake diamond. Is their any reassurance on Pearlmans? Im sure they are great hes just very gun shy I guess you could say of ordering my engagment ring online..Thanks so much for your help and YES this is THE ring that I would love to own..Im soooo glad I found this forum It has saved me tons of work. At least now I have people to turn to for advice that know what they are talking about..!

I know ordering online seems a little sketchy, but there are safeguards. First of all, use a reputable company such as Whiteflash...James Allen...or Blue Nile. Personally, I used WF for my stone. I actually just got it today at lunch.

Anyway, for your bf''s piece of mind, I would suggest getting an independent appraisal once you receive your diamond. It is important to do this as soon as you get your stone so that if the diamond IS different, then you can return it with 10 days, according to WF''s return policy...

http://www.whiteflash.com/policies/return.aspx

hope that helped...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results