shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I purchase a pair of precision-cut Peridot earring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all! I am looking out for a pair of well cut if not precision cut Peridot earring(with minimal yellow) Has anyone came across a pair:)? TIA

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
In my limited knowledge the precision cutters that these ladies most frequent don''t usually cut peridot a lot. However, if you ask, I''m sure that some of them have rough available. For example I got a lovely peridot from Doug at Bespoke, and I know someone else got one custom cut by Gene at Precision Gem. So I''d ask around. Then you can get exactly what you want! Hope that helps.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I checked a few of my favorite haunts (PrecisionGem, Dan Stair, GemRite, Finewater), and they all seem to be sold out, especially for matched pairs. But you may be in luck...check out these stones from Art Cut Gems:

Ovals

Trillions

ETA: Also check out Dutton's for some really inexpensive peridot pears.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/11/2010 10:54:48 AM
Author: jstarfireb
I checked a few of my favorite haunts (PrecisionGem, Dan Stair, GemRite, Finewater), and they all seem to be sold out, especially for matched pairs. But you may be in luck...check out these stones from Art Cut Gems:

Ovals

Trillions

ETA: Also check out Dutton''s for some really inexpensive peridot pears.

Hi jstarfireb! Thanks a lot for the links:) I appreciate it. however I will still prefer a pair of Peridot without any yellow, so I guess China is out? Should probably look into Pakistan or Arizona.
Hi Meg! Yes I think the person you mentioned, who had recently purchased a Concave cut Peridot from Gene is ME! It is very pretty. Yes I did contact Gene again. Here''s the reply (I hope its ok to post as I think these are useful info for PSER) " To cut a pair of precision peridot is usually 15 to 20%. The reason for this is that you never have 2 pieces of rough the same size, you have to start with the smallest stone first, and cut it. Then take the bigger stone and make it cut to the same size as the smaller stone. This always ends up wasting some of the bigger stone. Also cutting a matched pair can often add at least an hour to the cutting time, and sometimes the second stone, even though it''s the same size doesn''t match, and you end up cutting a third stone, or worse yet, what you thought would be the bigger stone ends up smaller, and then the cycle starts all over again. For these reasons you don''t see matched pairs often from private cutters, especially precision guys ilke me, and when you do, they are more expensive." Actually, I like Gene''s concave cut and do not mind to pay 15-20% more. However, the problem is that I couldn''t find a competent benchman here in Singapore to do a setting. The previous Peridot from Gene was scratched and so are my other softer stones.. hence I think that the best solution is to find a pair of ready set Peridot earring. There''s plentiful out there, but its not easy finding a custom-cut pair with minimal yellow:)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peridots are very inexpensive and generally plentiful; hence you are not going to find ready set precision cut peridots. Most are also going to have a yellow or olive undertone. As both you and Gene have noted, it is not cost effective for a custom cutter to cut pairs out of inexpensive materials. You may not mind a 15% increase (off an already low price) but if a cutter can cut something else with less headache, he or she is going to do that instead.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think the hardest part is looking for minimal yellow. Almost all peridot has some degree of yellow. The "medium slightly yellowish green" of the second pair from Dutton''s may be your best bet so far.

Maybe talk to Michal E? He does both cutting and setting and may be able to source you a pair.

Sally also has some peridot earrings:

18kt YG simple settings

sterling pillbox settings

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Dana at Mastercutgems has a lot of 5 x 7 mm matched emerald cut apple green San Carlos peridot for sale. Link There is enough here for several pairs of earrings, a necklace, a bracelet, maybe even a tiara.
9.gif
ETA - The picture below is only part of the lot.

sancarlos21916.jpg

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Chic, Andrew at Gemfix.com has some really nice matched pair peridot. I saw some the first day of the big show in Tucson on Thursday morning.

He has some of the really good rapidly dwindling peridot from Pakistan and Afghanistan.

He doesn''t post most of his inventory on his site, although you can get a feel from it. he is at the Tucson show until Sunday and then he will be back in San Diego. Give Andrew or his very nice wife, Laura, a call and tell them your wishes/requirements, if they can make you happy they will tell you.

Good luck!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/12/2010 9:27:58 PM
Author: StonieGrl
Chic, Andrew at Gemfix.com has some really nice matched pair peridot. I saw some the first day of the big show in Tucson on Thursday morning.

He has some of the really good rapidly dwindling peridot from Pakistan and Afghanistan.

He doesn''t post most of his inventory on his site, although you can get a feel from it. he is at the Tucson show until Sunday and then he will be back in San Diego. Give Andrew or his very nice wife, Laura, a call and tell them your wishes/requirements, if they can make you happy they will tell you.

Good luck!
Thank you all for the replies! I apologize for the late reply as my macbook was sent for servicing and I will not get it back till after the holiday. Yes I will ceryainly check out all the recommendations! I am currently thinking of a pair of Peridot Cabochon earring. Do you have any idea where to find a pair? TIA:)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked around and saw many pairs of precision cut pairs of peridots but they are all described as apple green which to me, means that it is slightly yellowish green.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/15/2010 8:58:23 AM
Author: Chrono
I looked around and saw many pairs of precision cut pairs of peridots but they are all described as apple green which to me, means that it is slightly yellowish green.

Yeah - nicely cut peridot in small sizes for earrings are easy to find. Ones without any yellow tone, not so easy.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/15/2010 9:15:58 AM
Author: DistinctionJewelry
Date: 2/15/2010 8:58:23 AM

Author: Chrono

Yeah - nicely cut peridot in small sizes for earrings are easy to find. Ones without any yellow tone, not so easy.
Tks distinction and chrono for the replies! So has anyone came across a pair of peridot cab? Where should i look fo one? Tia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results