shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I find some examples of halos in DC stores?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
About one weekend ago, my BF and I went over to Arlington to a store that supposedly was a dealer for a specific brand. Not only did they not have rings from that brand, they really had a limited selection of ring styles. Then, we looked in a couple of other Arlington stores and had the same problems. Can anyone recommed a store in the DC area that has a wide array of styles/designers. I''m particularly smitten with pave/halo designs and have yet to try one on in person. Thanks so much for the help.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Try finding a Bailey, Banks, and Biddle. They carry Ritani, which makes the Endless Love setting.

Otherwise, I would grab a phone book and start dialing jewelers in the area. Just ask them if they have any halo settings for you to see.

Good luck.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Not sure, but you may want to check with I Gorman in DC.

Regards,

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I know there''s a BB&B at the Pentagon City (is that what it''s called?) mall.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
As many halos as we see posted here at PS, I have seen very few in B&Ms. I saw several at jewelry stores in Tysons, but unfortunately I can''t remember specifically which ones.
40.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Have you heard of a store named Mervis that is somewhere around Tysons?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Aren't their commercials run by a guy that sounds either affected, or like Garry Holloway (eta: not that there's anything wrong with that). The Washingtonian, as I best recall, doesn't think much of their advertised value. My one visit to their DC store was a stuffy experience, but I'm a tough sell.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I''m not really thinking that we''ll buy from these stores, i just want to be able to see some different styles on my finger. Because right now, not having tried anything on, i have these ideas about the ring i love and might feel very different about once i see it in person.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Meaghan,

I particularly mention I Gorman because in my one visit there, I think the owner steered me to a halo design, if I understand the concept right, so I think he does them/has them. Also, some other interesting things about the store: I think they have the ISEE2, and also, have been mentioned on this forum for a place to go to have just a diamond set, at least into their setting, if that''s what you want.

Otherwise, three more thoughts:

1) do a search here on DC (at the upper right), to find a good number of other posts
2) Charleston Alexander has been mentioned by a good number here as promising, they''re about to open a big Bethesda store, and I''m hoping that may meet my need for #3
3) Wouldn''t it be nice if there was some place like Borders for Jewelry? Kind of like a physical place to try things on, almost like the internet, but at a B&M?

I, too, would like to find a shopping place in DC that''s delightful. Have others found such a place locally?

Meanwhile, the web''s pretty good, I''ll say (particularly with many of the vendors listed here), and certainly offers good value.

Regards,

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/7/2005 4:13:46 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Aren''t their commercials run by a guy that sounds either affected, or like Garry Holloway (eta: not that there''s anything wrong with that). The Washingtonian, as I best recall, doesn''t think much of their advertised value. My one visit to their DC store was a stuffy experience, but I''m a tough sell.
I usually don''t comment, but I''d have to say Mervis was the worst experience I had. They buzz you in with locked double doors and put you in a room with nothing in it. You ask to see something and the guy disappears for 5 minutes and brings one or two things in. We ask to see some rings, but it becomes a painful experience. On top of that they ask you to fill out a card with all of your personal information before they show you anything. Forget it, I told them no, what happened to privacy. He wasn''t that helpful after that. As you can see, we hated the place. They runs as all over the radio and newspapers. This cost plus the stuffy building has to be recouped somewhere

Sorry I didn''t help much with the original question.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2005 5:54:24 PM
Author: noobie

Date: 9/7/2005 4:13:46 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Aren''t their commercials run by a guy that sounds either affected, or like Garry Holloway (eta: not that there''s anything wrong with that). The Washingtonian, as I best recall, doesn''t think much of their advertised value. My one visit to their DC store was a stuffy experience, but I''m a tough sell.
I usually don''t comment, but I''d have to say Mervis was the worst experience I had. They buzz you in with locked double doors and put you in a room with nothing in it. You ask to see something and the guy disappears for 5 minutes and brings one or two things in. We ask to see some rings, but it becomes a painful experience. On top of that they ask you to fill out a card with all of your personal information before they show you anything. Forget it, I told them no, what happened to privacy. He wasn''t that helpful after that. As you can see, we hated the place. They runs as all over the radio and newspapers. This cost plus the stuffy building has to be recouped somewhere

Sorry I didn''t help much with the original question.
LOL, I had much the same experience with Mervis as Noobie. I even tried more than once, thinking maybe I had to lighten up a little bit, but noooooooo, they made me feel just as uncomfortable the second time.

They might have a nice selection of halo rings for you to try on, Lovelylulu, but they will only show them to you a few at a time and leave you sitting in a little office all alone in between each selection. Very tedious indeed.

I do know of 2 frequent posters here at PS (SevensOne and MissGotRocks) who have had had good luck with them, so I guess they can''t be all bad.
20.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
While not looking for halo-style rings I do appreciate the information from Noobie and Diamondlil about Mervis. I''ve heard the commercials on the radio and seen the ads in the paper, but have never actually set foot in one of their stores. From your descriptions I can see that it''s not the place for me. I like to browse around and try on as much as I like or nothing at all if I don''t want to. Doesn''t seem like Mervis is the right place to do so. Why did I think they had this large showroom???

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Tiny Jewel Box on Conn? (I think the site is: www.tinyjewelbox.com)

LoganSapphire recommended that store to me for something, now I can''t remember, at the last DC gathering, but I remember driving past that store every day on my bus ride to State and thinking it looked cute and a fun place to explore. Worth a try! I think they''re sort of on the expensive side.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Tiny Jewel Box has been recommended here. I went in, in the past year; it''s a bit queer, stacked up place, with many small floors on top of each other...and it seemed a bit pricey, yes. There I got the first price I''ve gotten on a Tahitian Peal Necklace...the other bit of Jewelery I only can afford to lust after, and so, that they were expensive is perhaps no fault of theirs, as I''ve since come to learn they''re reliably pricey wherever you find them.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions and warnings. I''ll let you know what I find.

Also, could someone please tell me what B&M stands for
25.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2005 9:11:59 PM
Author: Blue824
Tiny Jewel Box on Conn? (I think the site is: www.tinyjewelbox.com)

LoganSapphire recommended that store to me for something, now I can''t remember, at the last DC gathering, but I remember driving past that store every day on my bus ride to State and thinking it looked cute and a fun place to explore. Worth a try! I think they''re sort of on the expensive side.
Tiny Jewel Box for the Daniel K Asscher boxter ring!!!!!

I always feel intimidated walking in there, like they''re going to eye me up and then snort.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
lovely: B&M = Brick & Mortar.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
What does B&M mean?

I wanted to bump this because I want to ask the same question, and maybe we can get more feedback. I too am interested in trying on pretty settings for my engagement diamond, which I already have. I need to see things on my finger before I know how I will like it. Any feedback on these stores, such as:

Tiny Jewel Box
Adeler (Great Falls, VA?)
Esterman''s (White Flint Mall)-(this one more for other jewelry; not so much diamond ring settings.
Boone and Sons
Ross Simons
Jared

Please tell me any good or bad feedback about these places, & please also tell me if you know of any particularly good stores. Also any good estate jewelers. And also custom jewelers.
BTW, I am in Rockville, but I don''t mind going to go to D.C. or N. Va. if there''s a good store there.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Bailey Banks and Biddle at Montgomery Mall, Bethesda.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results