shape
carat
color
clarity

Where buy glass salad plates and bowls?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I''m looking to take the advise here on PS and use glass salad plates and bowls that will go with all china patterns so I can have more than one set :) However, I can not seem to find any! I admit to only looking online so far, but I figured I''d have better luck. Is there a place (presently) that sells them? And perhaps displays them online so I can compare or at least have a look right now?

Thank you for any guidance with this!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d try Target, K-Mart, Walmart, for inexpensive, or higher end stores like Macy''s, Dillard''s etc. if money is no problem.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
(heads over to suggested places immediately)
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love CB for glass plates, bowls, mugs...but also I think Ikea might have them as well if you are looking for more bargain shopping. Though from what I can recall, CB was pretty affordable, I got about 25 plain glass appetizer size plates there once for a bridal shower I was hosting and they were running like $1.99 or something. Not bad and I still use them years later for BBQ's and parties so they def came in handy long term. I also have a set of the nesting WS mixing bowls (I think CB has a set too that is cheaper) where there are like 15 bowls nesting in each other in diff sizes which are great for prepping foods but I also serve things in them sometimes for like casual parties, like yesterday for 4th of July I served all the chips and dips in the various sized smaller bowls. Kinda fun to mix it up sometimes.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hey!!! My first stop, Target, has some pretty basic ones and they''re only like $20 for 12! I never thought to look there but there they are!!

I hate being picky picky, but I now just want to find plain jane ones........the ones at Target are "beveled" for interest but I think I might want as plain as possible so they go with all future patterns
9.gif

Yay for cheapie places!!!!!!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 10:36:21 AM
Author: Mara
I love CB for glass plates, bowls, mugs...but also I think Ikea might have them as well if you are looking for more bargain shopping. Though from what I can recall, CB was pretty affordable, I got about 25 plain glass appetizer size plates there once for a bridal shower I was hosting and they were running like $1.99 or something. Not bad and I still use them years later for BBQ''s and parties so they def came in handy long term. I also have a set of the nesting WS mixing bowls (I think CB has a set too that is cheaper) where there are like 15 bowls nesting in each other in diff sizes which are great for prepping foods but I also serve things in them sometimes for like casual parties, like yesterday for 4th of July I served all the chips and dips in the various sized smaller bowls. Kinda fun to mix it up sometimes.
I''m registered at CB so I thought I checked there already but if they have them, I''d love to put them on that registry :) I''d rather do that then add yet another registry (I have 4 right now and that''s my limit!!)
20.gif
9.gif

If CB doesn''t carry them, I''ll check PB and WS after that. I don''t mind buying them myself as I''m sure they aren''t going to be hot items on the registry anyway lol.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, Ikea has nice plain ones for $1/piece! I'll have to find one near me and check them out....I wonder if they are sturdy enough to last awhile? :)

Mara~ no dice on CB or PB or WS for that matter
7.gif

ETA: bummer! the nearest Ikea to me is an 1 1/2 hrs away
7.gif
but I do think it's near a papersource..........which i have YET to see in all it's B & M glory :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CB does. It has the emily set (I own it)... but other than that... not so much. Hmmm.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
are you looking for like a glass ''china'' kind of set? or just plates, mugs, bowls kind of thing?

because CB does have the piecemeal kind of plates/bowls/mugs thing...they may not ''feature'' it on their website but if you go into the store i think it''s over near all the ''acrylic'' kind of bbq dinnerware they have, in that section. i am pretty sure they still have the ~$2ish plates i got too. they also have glass coffee mugs we own and use all the time for coffee. so you can def ''piecemeal'' the whole thing if you want to.

anyway i would get into the store and check it out, and i would check out Ikea too.

on their website they do have a few things:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=335&f=32
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=335&f=11829

this is like the glass bowl set i was talking about, great for mixing or serving or storing:
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=670&f=23025&q=glass&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400670&SearchPage=1

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Cost Plus World Market has plain glass ones like that. I got some to go with my china set. its a great idea.

www.worldmarket.com

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
We have a place called Garden Ridge they carry alot of open stock anchor hocking glass wear. I got tea and water glasses for 98 cents each. Pasta bowls and salad plates for the same. No biggie if one should hit the floor.

There is also something called Old Time Pottery. Their stock is always changing but you can get it ala carte too, if you are there when they have it.

Pier One has had them in the past...last time I was in I couldn''t tell you what they have now.

Another cheap place to find them is Ross. At their prices you can get the whole set and toss what you don''t want.

These were just a few that weren''t mentioned yet. I would buy the best I could afford. The polish and finish on glass ware can be compared to clarity on diamonds. For example; Pottery Barn''s glass is D in color...and IF in clarity. Sparkly, clear, polished. Hope that helps.

Please post what you deide to go with.

DKS

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy~ I have no problem looking again..........thanx to this thread, I now have so many options to keep my eye on I probably went a bit too fast and didn''t look all the way
2.gif

Mara~ I''m looking more for, as another poster put it, ala carte type of stuff
21.gif
I basically want to have more than one set of fine china plus maybe 2 everyday sets and all those "extra" pieces can take up alot of space so I figure if I concentrate on getting the dinner and maybe the salad plates in the patterns I like, I can compliment them with pretty glass everything else (bowls, desert plates) and (hopefully as I can afford it) nice crystal serveware pieces that will go with everything (even the everyday stuff). Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Divergrrl~ That site is a keeper!! Great prices, too. Any comments on the overal quality of thier stock?? Althought, I don''t particularly like the glass plates they have on there now, I will bookmark the site. I love some of thier items
21.gif

DKS~ I absoulutley (sp?) do not mind paying a little more for good glass plates and bowls. Not at all. Especially since I aim to use them w/everything. I wouldn''t want them to dull and look scratched up when paired with the china, afterall. Good to know that PB has nice quality. Did I look there already? I can''t remember
33.gif

I''d like a nice set of qualtiy stemware, too, that isn''t too embellished so that it goes with things no matter how my taste changes in the future. HOWEVER, I really want the set to match (I have a thing about this) so the line has to come with a water goblet that I LIKE.
20.gif
I know, waaaaaaaaaay too picky but I also have a "thing" about water goblets. Makes it hard to find a set to stick with because I''ve noticed not all of them include a nice water goblet
39.gif
Okay.....laugh me outta this forum now please
31.gif
But.........until you do that.........any advise on that while I''m still here?
9.gif
10.gif
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results