shape
carat
color
clarity

When you got engaged, did people ask to see your ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2010 3:30:02 PM
Author: DearBuddha
When my cousin was considering getting engaged, I offered to help him scope out rings and find something lovely with his budget and his GF''s preferences. I advised him against buying at a mall chain store, but he did anyways and purchased for her a very small (RB, .3ctw, I2) three stone diamond engagement ring.

When they became engaged, I offered my congratulations to her and enthusiastically gushed with her over her ring. I could tell she loved it so I kept my opinion to myself and instead told her how beautiful I thought it was.

In the midst of our reverie, my cousin came over and proceeded to inform everyone that he had only spent $499 on the ring. His fiance''s face was scorching red, and to add insult to injury, he then asked my husband how much my ring had cost and what the carat size was. I was offended and horrified/embarrassed for her.

So I refrain from asking to see rings, because I don''t want the bride to feel bad about what she''s been given.
Oh my god, that is so tacky to say! Are they still engaged? I hope he has improved in manners if they are.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
some people were pretty enthusiastic about everything and of course wanted to see my ring. most of these same people were pretty shocked when I started gushing over my sapphire band
23.gif
pretty funny to see how people try to save their butt and say something nice
2.gif

I just don''t think they understand how difficult it can be to find that perfect gemstone. colored stones are definitely not like diamonds. It took us a good year and then some to find one we loved.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I would say most people asked to see my ring when hearing I was engaged, I know a lot of nosey people though so that might be a part of it!
2.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
A few people asked, a lot of people didn''t. Some of my classmates asked if I had gotten engaged because they noticed that I had a ring on, but most didn''t ask to see it up close. I''ve found that, for whatever reason, people have been far more interested in seeing my wedding set than they ever were in seeing just the e-ring.

I''m another one who isn''t comfortable asking to see someone''s e-ring unless they make a move to show it off (like holding out the left hand or fluttering it).

Patchee

Shiny_Rock
For me it was after I was married - like the same day just married when everyone wanted to see my rings. It was weird.

My DH''s brothers girlfriend was the only one who wanted to see my E-Ring, she said I want one of those, do you know it cost him over 12K, this was like day 1 of engagement! I was like wow why did she have to tell me that, couldn''t she just say it''s pretty? :)

So_In_Love

Rough_Rock
I always ask to see the ring when someone says they just got engaged (and I compliment it even if i didnt like the ring).

I have to say when i got engaged I was hurt by the indifference of people around me
39.gif

yes, we have been dating for 7 years (I'm 24) and we bought a house together 6 months ago, so I think most of the people had that "its like you're already married" attitude. My fiances friend"s bday was about a month after we got engaged, and all of his friends were there and NO ONE said a word about our engagement (another girl in the group got engaged a month before me, and no one said anything to her as well). and these are the people that we've known since high school, and we get along great so its not like they were upset that my bf decided to marry a girl they didnt like...

my friend said that its because we have been together so long it "was expected that we'd get married". but to get no reaction at al??
my best friend didnt even ask how my bf proposed, and when i saw her a few days later she was talking to me like nothing happened, and in half an hour she was like "oh, show me your ring". and then said somehting like "its nice, but its not my style".

vent over
21.gif

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
I actually have had quite a few people ask to see my ring,and even had some people want to try it on. I however am kind of over people asking to see it,because some people have actually made comments like "I wish I had a ring like that" or "I really didn''t want my fiance spending that kind of money on a ring" and mind you my ring was not very expensive at all (like it''s even their business). I guess it all just depends on the area you live in,circle of friends,etc.

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
I think I actually shoved it in everyones face, so no had had to ask!

25.gif

I was so excited and was like GUESS WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT ?!?!?!?!?!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2010 5:01:50 PM
Author: Travel Goddess
You know, not as many as I thought would. I think I spent so much time on PS becoming diamond obsessed, that I couldn't understand for a couple weeks why no one cared as much as me!
3.gif
We're a different breed here I think.

It's always the first thing I ask when someone says they just got engaged. Hell, it one of the first things I notice about what women are wearing!
Ditto to all of the above! lol.

I'm on myspace and of all of the girls I know who are engaged, I am the only one to post a pic of my ering! My friend has a pic of hers along with her wedding band that she posted along side of her other wedding pics but other than that, i feel all alone in my love of diamonds
40.gif
Until I log on here, of course! lol

My FMIL hasn't even "asked" to see it.. she saw it once before fiance proposed and since then, every time one of his relatives says something about our engagement, she grabs my wrist and holds it out and says something like "did you see her rock? isn't it huuuuge?
38.gif
"... or something like that. It's only a .81 but she's very upset that it's so "big" and that we picked it out together.

one time, she did that to her mother and they proceeded to talk about how he shouldn't have spent so much money... blah blah blah. they don't even know what he spent to begin with. such busy-bodies.
gosh I hate them lol.

-end mini vent-

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/20/2010 1:23:27 PM
Author: jaylex

My FMIL hasn''t even ''asked'' to see it.. she saw it once before fiance proposed and since then, every time one of his relatives says something about our engagement, she grabs my wrist and holds it out and says something like ''did you see her rock? isn''t it huuuuge?
38.gif
''... or something like that. It''s only a .81 but she''s very upset that it''s so ''big'' and that we picked it out together.

one time, she did that to her mother and they proceeded to talk about how he shouldn''t have spent so much money... blah blah blah. they don''t even know what he spent to begin with. such busy-bodies.

gosh I hate them lol.

-end mini vent-

My FMIL did not care to see the ring either and when she did see it she went on about how he shouldn''t have spent so much money - right in front of me! FMIL is definitely a busy-body and constantly wants to know how and where we are spending our money. It is so annoying since we do not rely on on the ILs for anything and do not need to be told how to deal with our fiances!
20.gif

Back to topic - only a few of my friends asked to see my ring (the ones who knew I was in on the selection process). More random people have asked than my own friends/colleagues. I am more surprised by the random people.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I had a lot of people (both men and women.. and strangers) ask to see my engagement ring. I personally felt a little awkward and uncomfortable showing them. One girl even insisted on taking photos of our rings together which I thought was very strange.

Miya03

Shiny_Rock
I love it when people ask to see it! It happened quite a bit to me, and I wasn''t at all uncomfortable. However, at Christmas we went to visit my FILs and they''re family, and FI''s mom was so excited about it that as soon as I met some family member she''d push me to "show them your ring! show them!" which while enthusiastic, did definitely make me uncomfortable. I love my ring and don''t mind showing it off, but only if people ask to see it--I felt like I was being forced to shove it in people''s faces when they weren''t interested, which was awkward.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2010 1:43:14 PM
Author: LabRatPhD

Date: 1/20/2010 1:23:27 PM
Author: jaylex

My FMIL hasn''t even ''asked'' to see it.. she saw it once before fiance proposed and since then, every time one of his relatives says something about our engagement, she grabs my wrist and holds it out and says something like ''did you see her rock? isn''t it huuuuge?
38.gif
''... or something like that. It''s only a .81 but she''s very upset that it''s so ''big'' and that we picked it out together.

one time, she did that to her mother and they proceeded to talk about how he shouldn''t have spent so much money... blah blah blah. they don''t even know what he spent to begin with. such busy-bodies.

gosh I hate them lol.

-end mini vent-

My FMIL did not care to see the ring either and when she did see it she went on about how he shouldn''t have spent so much money - right in front of me! FMIL is definitely a busy-body and constantly wants to know how and where we are spending our money. It is so annoying since we do not rely on on the ILs for anything and do not need to be told how to deal with our fiances!
20.gif

Back to topic - only a few of my friends asked to see my ring (the ones who knew I was in on the selection process). More random people have asked than my own friends/colleagues. I am more surprised by the random people.
Our FMIL''s must be sisters!

Oh i forgot to mention... probably 80% of the people who have actually asked to see my ring are clients and random people that walk into the studio I work at. it is kinda weird. but a lot of the times, these ladies have very beautiful rings and I almost have the urge to invite them to join PS just so I can hear the specs and drool over pics lol!
There should be a therapy group for us (or maybe i''m the only one who really needs it!
9.gif
).

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2010 3:33:24 AM
Author: LilyKat
A lot of women did (probably about half) - and as we ordered my ring after the engagement, I kept having to explain I hadn''t got it yet! I didn''t mind though, it seems like a natural question, along with ''have you set a date yet?''

None of the guys did. And women who weren''t particularly ''girly'' or into jewellery didn''t either.

I''ve been engaged all of three days, but this has been exactly my experience. To be fair though, I''m wearing a placeholder so it could have been briefly mistaken for the real thing.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I would say less than 50% of people asked to see my ring.

I was too surprised at the amount of people that didn''t ask. Not because I wanted them to, but because it''s what I would ask
11.gif
9.gif

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most people didn''t have the chance to ask about the ring, because i was ...showing it off to them with my own initiative
9.gif
! I got engaged when my fiance'' and i were away on vacation. Nobody knew that we would get engaged on that trip, not even me. So when i came back home and everybody was asking how was my vacation, i was showing off my finger and saying in the happiest voice ever: "I''m engaged"
30.gif
!!! Nobody got away without seeing it!!!
31.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found that almost everyone asked to see my ring when I got engaged. The same happened when I got married, they all wanted to see my ering with my wedding band.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 5:12:41 PM
Author: bee*
I found that almost everyone asked to see my ring when I got engaged. The same happened when I got married, they all wanted to see my ering with my wedding band.

Yup me too! Although not married yet but when I''m at a wedding I always ask to see the bride''s new wedding set
9.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 2:50:15 PM
Author: Delster
Date: 1/28/2010 5:12:41 PM

Author: bee*

Yup me too! Although not married yet but when I''m at a wedding I always ask to see the bride''s new wedding set
9.gif

You won''t have long to go now until they are asking to see your wedding set
36.gif
36.gif

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting responses on this thread.

All of my close friends wanted to see my ring but, I do agree, I was somewhat surprised by those who didn''t show any interest. Sure, of course its not about the ring, but still....its kind of a big deal when you first get the bling! If anything, it makes the bride feel glorious
36.gif

I am pretty much obsessed with rings and will ask ANYONE - friend or stranger! - to see their ring - and I will grab their hand to get a good look! No shyness here.

The weird thing is, there are close family members (sister/SIL) who, to this day, haven''t asked for an up-close look at my ring. I guess from a distance/facebook is enough for them
15.gif
Then there are a couple friends whom I''ve caught looking discreetly, when I lift my hand to take a drink or something, which just creeps me out kinda. If you want a look, look. No reason to be sly about it!

Overall, kinda a weird situation. Everyone is different. Some people care, others don''t. Some are embarrassed to ask, others aren''t.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results