shape
carat
color
clarity

When is it okay to inquire about salary being offered?

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
I'm hoping someone can help offer advice-

Last week, I went on a second job interview with the same company. During the interview, I made it clear that my biggest concern is that I need to make more money than I'm currently making with my present company ( :cheeky: ). They asked what I'm currently making, which I told them, and they said they are confident I will "be happy" with what's being offered, but they never actually disclosed the amount. They just emailed me this morning asking for my references, if I'm interested in the position. Since I'm currently employed and haven't discussed any of this with my current boss (she's totally understanding and knows I've been out looking), I don't feel comfortable having them call my references (my current boss would be one of the references, along with one of our long-standing clients - which is my bigger concern) until I'm certain of what the position pays.

Is it tacky to ask them exactly what they are offering in terms of salary, before providing my references? Any advice on how I should phrase the email?

Thanks in advance!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
At my last job, they gave me a range, and then I was told the final number in my official offer.

I think it is pretty common to not talk salary until the company affirms that you are who they want to hire. Since they have obviously already answered the way they felt comfortable (which was positive), I'm not sure that I would push the issue.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
meresal said:
Since they have obviously already answered the way they felt comfortable (which was positive), I'm not sure that I would push the issue.

Very true. It would just be great if they could give me a salary range, at the very least. :knockout:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
meresal said:
At my last job, they gave me a range, and then I was told the final number in my official offer.

I think it is pretty common to not talk salary until the company affirms that you are who they want to hire. Since they have obviously already answered the way they felt comfortable (which was positive), I'm not sure that I would push the issue.

I agree.

Talk to your current boss if you can (since she knows you're looking it shouldn't come as a shock) and then give them your references.

Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you know for sure that you'd jump ship to the new company if the salary was at least what you are making if not more?

Because if you aren't totally sure either way then I'd not give a reference of the long standing client and/or boss if you feel like there may be an option you wouldn't take the new job. I usually have a pool of references that I can choose from depending on the job--none of which would be my current boss and/or a current client. Just because it's easier.

That said-- I tend to ask about salary up front, kind of like what you did. I would tend to think since they said you would be happy that they won't offer you less--so I probably wouldn't worry about it. BUT if you feel like it wasn't enough to set your mind at ease, I would call the hiring manager, tell them references were requested and you don't want to proceed without ensuring you are all on the same page. Personally for me that's never been an issue because if they are that serious to request refs then your future manager should be willing to have a candid discussion about the details.

But that's me...and I work in more of an informal kind of industry I guess. Do what you feel comfortable with but I'd not be afraid to speak up. Good luck!!!

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
Mara said:
Do you know for sure that you'd jump ship to the new company if the salary was at least what you are making if not more?

This.

I’m afraid to admit that I’m slightly hesitant to take the job, and I’m selling myself on the fact that it will probably pay more than I’m making now, to help me get over my hesitation.

The background to the story is somewhat complicated, so I’ll try to keep it short and sweet:

-My current company has been unstable for the last 2 years, due to the economy , etc. They laid off half the staff and although we keep hearing things are getting better, we haven’t seen anything positive in terms of change.

-DH recently took a job out-of-state and commutes home 4 nights out of the week to be with DS and me. Because his job situation has been up and down, we decided to give his new job at least 6 months before we make any big moves (i.e. me quitting my job to relocate with him; DH looking for a new job closer to home, etc.)

-I agreed to interview for this new position because, a) I’m scared that there’s no real future at my current company and, b) if the new job paid a lot more than I’m making now, we could at least save more money over the next 6 months, at which point DH and I will reassess both of our situations.

Hopefully this all makes sense. Sigh… :rolleyes:

In any case, taking this new job would likely be a short-term fix anyway, since DH and I don't really know where we will be living in 6 months. In the end, it's probably better that I just stay put and not complicate this situation any further. :nono:

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
I would just tell them that they cannot contact my current employer because they are not aware that I am leaving. I would provide other past employers or educational or community references (if I had served on a committee, etc.). They know how the game is played.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
If you aren't sure you would take the job, then I would not give your current employer as a Ref.

ETA:
With that said, you told them that you would not take the job if it offered the same as or less money, right? So if they continued to do all this work to find out your references, only to offer you less, they would be wasting their time as well. I think you are probably safe that it is indeed going to be higher than your current posititon.

What THAT said... does this new employer know that you would only be taking the job for 6 months. That is a VERY short period of time. I'm not sure what your field is, but I know at my last job it took almost a full yer just to take over all the accounts and learn the new systems. You could be wasting their time.
I know it would help you to save more, but honestly, I would just stay where you are. I think you are hoping that this job will offer ALOT more than your current job. Not just higher. Yes? It just sounds greedy, from the employers perspective.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Salary is not usually discussed in detail until they make you a job offer, which won't be until they verify references. Is there any way you could give them references that do not include your current boss?

I would also not trust the statement that you'd be happy with the salary the new job pays. I went through something similar a few weeks back (I was told that the salary for the new job was in line with what I told them I wanted to make). When I got the job offer it was 30% LESS than I make now. Seriously. And I was told that this company does not negotiate salary. I laughed my way out the door of their office.

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
I realized I didn't answer the original question...

I think at this point you have to go on faith that you asked generally about the salary and they answered affirmatively that it would be higher. Now you give them your non-current employer references and they make an offer. Once you get the offer, you're free to negotiate the terms and salary.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the helpful and honest feedback.

Last night, I spoke to my current boss and told her about my interview and where I left off with regard to the salary discussion. She was very candid and told me that after her management meeting yesterday morning, the future looks bleak for both of us at our present company. She’s also aware that there’s a chance I will be moving in 6 -8 months, but still thinks I should take the new job if the salary being offered is considerably higher than my current salary. She’s confident the new company will and can afford it.

I guess it could be considered “greedy”, but I am the breadwinner in my family, and I feel like I have to do what needs to be done for the sake and well-being of my family, especially if it will allow me to save a nice chunk of money. My industry is ever-changing and highly competitive, and job movement is not usually viewed as negatively, as perhaps, other industries.

Sooo, I submitted my references and will sit back and wait to hear what they offer. ;-)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
good luck sugar. i also ditto the other poster's hesitance re: only being there for 6mo. while that was more ok mentally for me when i was younger as i job hopped a lot as it was the easiest way in an emerging industry to up my salary significantly without waiting around--now that i am older and more established i would not want to go to a position where i feel like i would not be there at least 1-2 years. unless you're consulting, putting 6mo at a job on your resume could be damaging for the future. just a note... you would know your industry and position best.

that said, hope the offer is great and it makes your day. sorry to hear about your current role.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results