shape
carat
color
clarity

When do we get fire? Why is it sometimes pastel?

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
lknvrb4|1419506826|3807578 said:
I noticed with my cushion brilliant that the pastels usually show up in the NSWE position only, weird.

Those Facets:

1) Gather light from high angles, they can be partially obstructed by your head (clipped by your head) and thus the white light fan can been seen as colored even without small point light sources.
2) Are the largest virtual facets and thus the color would be the most noticeable to you in those.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MelisendeDiamonds|1419604067|3807860 said:
Serg said:
I noticed with my cushion brilliant that the pastels usually show up in the NSWE position only, weird.

Try take photos with different apertures. for smaller aperture you have to receive more saturated flashes

This has been presented before.
"Chance of seeing only part of the color fan increases as your pupil becomes smaller"
Melisende,
This are Marty H. photos. I do not remember when he did it . Most probably 7-10 years ago. I did not ask publish photos for any diamonds with different apertures. Nothing new for me here.I did tests with aperture and diamond tilting in 2000.
I gave advice to lknvrb4, to take photos for Here diamond with different apertures. I gave this advice to lknvrb4 because she published photos with pastel fire flashes

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Serg|1419605132|3807872 said:
Serg said:

Try take photos with different apertures. for smaller aperture you have to receive more saturated flashes

"Chance of seeing only part of the color fan increases as your pupil becomes smaller"
Melisende,
This are Marty H. photos.

They came from AGSL and were part of a presentation made by Peter Yantzer.

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1419587340|3807834 said:
Are these pastels or pale rainbow hues?

I can't follow what you are saying, as I don't know what your definition of pastel is, as it seems different than mine.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MelisendeDiamonds|1419604457|3807866 said:
Simulating the clipping effect by narrowing the camera aperture and moving the camera to get different colors.
Haroutioun,
Excellent posts. Those graphics really make the phenomenon of pupil clipping and it's impact on the perception of fire become relatable. When you simply read about it it is hard to relate to. And it is impossible to observe in a controlled enough way in real life because the color sparkles are so fleeting because something (either the diamond, the observer, or even the light source) is always in some degree of random motion.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MelisendeDiamonds|1419606117|3807879 said:
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1419587340|3807834 said:
Are these pastels or pale rainbow hues?

I can't follow what you are saying, as I don't know what your definition of pastel is, as it seems different than mine.
Isn't the definition of pastel simply a lower saturation and/or tone of a particular hue?

Wouldn't the most common reason for observing a pastel variation of fire be the mixing of that clipped fan with other white light coming from or around the same virtual facet?

For instance, in the clipping photos, the background is very dark and those fire sparkles are super saturated.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think pastel vs rich color is largely discussed in terms of the degree of saturation of a particular hue. This line in one of the articles Serg referenced is a very succinct statement about clipping:

"Perception of a color other than white can occur if certain wavelengths from the visible part of the spectrum are isolated. The most saturated color is seen when the retina is entered by radiation with the narrowest range of wavelengths. The width of this range is determined primarily by gem's cut."

The likelihood of observing distinct, vivid sparkles of color derives mainly from cut quality. Without the necessary proportioning, alignment and polish of the diamond's facets there little potential to ever observe fire. However, a variety of other factors are also continually at play in determining whether fire will be seen. While those things tend to be highly variable and ever changing, the cut quality is a constant, forever determining the odds of seeing fire in any given lighting environment.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Serg,
What is the relationship between viewing distance and the probability of clipping a pure color? Assuming a dispersive fan gets progressively more spread out over distance, a longer viewing distance from the diamond should increase the probability of clipping a narrower section of the fan and thereby seeing vivid fire. But that would also require the sparkle to be big enough to be seen at distance. One would think that potential would be lost for diamonds having only small virtual facets.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Serg|1419483500|3807522 said:
Saturation of colour flashes depends from:
1) Light source Angular size
http://www.gemology.ru/cut/english/grading1/index.htm
2) pupil angular size ( depends from distance between observer and diamond, and surrounding brightness )
for more detail check http://www.gemology.ru/cut/english/rainbow/3.htm and next page
3) Cut geometry
4) position light source relative to ETAS spot from human pupil

and many other things

I think this is the most succinct description of why we see "fire".

Pictures present totally different opportunities for observing fire as compared to real life.
I did some testing myself today- and found that the only way to reliably see the prisms with my eyes was to move the diamond so close to my eye that it was no longer in focus- also it was close enough that I was not looking at a stereoscopic view.
The effect is far more pronounced in regular room lighting as opposed to putting the stone in a light box.

Serg mentioned "Cut geometry"
Brian's quote mentioned that "The width of this range is determined primarily by gem's cut."
Neither of those statements have anything to do with quality of cut.
Isn't it possible that a badly cut stone could have a geometry more conducive to producing fire than a well cut stone?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1419621076|3807979 said:
Serg,
What is the relationship between viewing distance and the probability of clipping a pure color? Assuming a dispersive fan gets progressively more spread out over distance, a longer viewing distance from the diamond should increase the probability of clipping a narrower section of the fan and thereby seeing vivid fire. But that would also require the sparkle to be big enough to be seen at distance. One would think that potential would be lost for diamonds having only small virtual facets.

Bryan,

it depends from plane of eye focus.
when you see a diamond from short distance( specially in loupe ) , the diamond in focus and lights source is out focus. in such case VF's does not work as additional aperture ( does not reduce brightness), but VF's size is still important for Colour flashes visibility .

if you see diamond from middle distance then light source usually in focus and VF works light source aperture ( reduce brightness).

from long distance the some VF's does not cut any light from lights source( take for example 1mm VF, 1m between diamond and light source, 3+m from diamond to Observer and pupil 4mm. Angular size of pupil is less than angular size of VF from Light source perspective )
in such case you see roughly Light source brightness ( not exactly, because you do not see full spectrum and because refraction in diamond creates astigmatism for light source)
it create bloom and you may see Colour flashes with visible size bigger than diamond size.
shortly : the increasing of distance decrease probability see fire only in beginning then it almost do not change probability and even would increase philological appearance of Fire .

http://www.gemology.ru/cut/english/conference_posters/4.htm

similar explanation with pictures( Our poster from Moscow Cut conference 2004year)

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1419621535|3807983 said:
2) pupil angular size ( depends from distance between observer and diamond, and surrounding brightness )
for more detail check http://www.gemology.ru/cut/english/rainbow/3.htm and next page
3) Cut geometry

and many other things

Pictures present totally different opportunities for observing fire as compared to real life.
I did some testing myself today- and found that the only way to reliably see the prisms with my eyes was to move the diamond so close to my eye that it was no longer in focus- also it was close enough that I was not looking at a stereoscopic view.
The effect is far more pronounced in regular room lighting as opposed to putting the stone in a light box.

Brian's quote mentioned that "The width of this range is determined primarily by gem's cut."
Isn't it possible that a badly cut stone could have a geometry more conducive to producing fire than a well cut stone?

David,

re:I think this is the most succinct description of why we see "fire".
It was list for saturation only.
If we speak about Fire, I need add
0) Diamond Size

Btw. Most weakness point in AGS, GIA "Ideal , EX" diamonds grades , that Fire, Brightness do not depend from size.
Big Diamond with bad proportions easily has much more Fire than mele diamonds with "Ideal cut".
"Good" 1ct round diamond has more Fire than 0.3 ct "Ideal cut" round diamond.
In 3 ct Emerald you may see Rainbow Fire( full spectrum on one facet) that you can not see in 3Ct round diamond in same light environments .

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Serg|1419623636|3807998 said:
In 3 ct Emerald you may see Rainbow Fire( full spectrum on one facet) that you can not see in 3Ct round diamond in same light environments .
I have noticed that I am more likely to see pure tones from a large long horizontal rectangular virtual facets from a step cut pavilion than a large narrow vertical virtual facet(mains, aka arrows) in a diamond with a brilliant cut pavilion.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
riddle me this:
Your standing in a blue room with light reflected off a blue ceiling wearing blue coveralls and a blue face mask.
Your diamond appears blue, are you seeing fire or brightness?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl_K|1419632011|3808098 said:
riddle me this:
Your standing in a blue room with light reflected off a blue ceiling wearing blue coveralls and a blue face mask.
Certainly you would be seeing some reflections that would represent brightness (as well as potentially some leakage). I think the key to the riddle is that the light source is "reflected off a blue ceiling". In that case I think the angular spectrum of the light source would be too large to produce fire.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1419636341|3808124 said:
riddle me this:
Certainly you would be seeing some reflections that would represent brightness (as well as potentially some leakage). I think the key to the riddle is that the light source is "reflected off a blue ceiling". In that case I think the angular spectrum of the light source would be too large to produce fire.

A blue hole....?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Hole_(Red_Sea)

=)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
3) Cut geometry

and many other things

David,

0) Diamond Size

Btw. Most weakness point in AGS, GIA "Ideal , EX" diamonds grades , that Fire, Brightness do not depend from size.
Big Diamond with bad proportions easily has much more Fire than mele diamonds with "Ideal cut".

Thank you Serg!
I love well cut diamonds.
Please don't mistake my earlier posts as "anti great cut" or ideal optics.
There's many great reasons to go for ideal optics ( as defined by AGSL)- they generally exhibit lovely fire.
But if one's goal is maximum fire, then other cuts perform better.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1419740082|3808578 said:
3) Cut geometry

and many other things

David,

0) Diamond Size

Thank you Serg!
There's many great reasons to go for ideal optics ( as defined by AGSL)- they generally exhibit lovely fire.

David,
Which cuts have better Fire Performance for You than round cut? what many difference in Fire do you see between round cut and Fire Performance cuts? Fire flashes size? Flash quantity ? Anything else ?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
riddle me this:

Earlier I said this was complex so I thought I would use this example to show how complex yet at the same time easy to understand the problem. It it the answer that is hard.

GIA:
Using simple definitions:
http://www.gia.edu/diamond-quality-factor
"A beautiful diamond looks the way it does because of three optical effects: white light reflections called brightness, flashes of color called fire,"

Therefore it must be fire.
However technically, it is showing brightness not fire because the light is not being split into different colors it is already blue.
Which is correct?

What is only the ceiling is blue and large diffused white lights are from the side and the diamond shows blue in some areas, fire or brightness?

So how do you resolve this?
How you do so will radically change the outcome of any fire modeling you might try and do.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl_K|1419761922|3808643 said:
riddle me this:

Earlier I said this was complex so I thought I would use this example to show how complex yet at the same time easy to understand the problem. It it the answer that is hard.

GIA:
Using simple definitions:
http://www.gia.edu/diamond-quality-factor
"A beautiful diamond looks the way it does because of three optical effects: white light reflections called brightness, flashes of color called fire,"

Therefore it must be fire.
However technically, it is showing brightness not fire because the light is not being split into different colors it is already blue.
Which is correct?

What is only the ceiling is blue and large diffused white lights are from the side and the diamond shows blue in some areas, fire or brightness?

So how do you resolve this?
How you do so will radically change the outcome of any fire modeling you might try and do.
Karl, just for sake of completeness, the third factor cited by the GIA article is contrast (scintillation).

Now for your theoretical, I don't see a real problem with the modeling in this respect. None of the systems factor in variables related to what colors might be reflected from the environment. The presence of white light is assumed and the potential for dispersion is based solely on cut factors and their associated mathematics. Whether that potential will be realized (observed) is dependent on all kinds of additional variables related to the diamond, light source, observer, and also environmental factors (including being in a blue room in a blue hoodie footie).

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
riddle me this:
By the way, use caution if you are trying this at home. There are reports of people turning into Smurfs when attempting this experiment. :wacko:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Serg|1419623241|3807994 said:
Serg,

Bryan,

when you see a diamond from short distance( specially in loupe ) , the diamond in focus and lights source is out focus. in such case VF's does not work as additional aperture ( does not reduce brightness), but VF's size is still important for Colour flashes visibility .

if you see diamond from middle distance then light source usually in focus and VF works light source aperture ( reduce brightness).

from long distance the some VF's does not cut any light from lights source( take for example 1mm VF, 1m between diamond and light source, 3+m from diamond to Observer and pupil 4mm. Angular size of pupil is less than angular size of VF from Light source perspective )
in such case you see roughly Light source brightness ( not exactly, because you do not see full spectrum and because refraction in diamond creates astigmatism for light source)
it create bloom and you may see Colour flashes with visible size bigger than diamond size.
shortly : the increasing of distance decrease probability see fire only in beginning then it almost do not change probability and even would increase philological appearance of Fire .

similar explanation with pictures( Our poster from Moscow Cut conference 2004year)
Serg,
I'm going to stop asking questions now :o

Seems like we are constantly arriving at false summits. Just when you think you are getting on top of something, a higher and steeper peak comes into view! Astigmatism? Really?

I think I will go back to bed. ::)

Seriously though, thank you for pushing the limits of our understanding of this frontier.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1419784512|3808745 said:
Serg|1419623241|3807994 said:
Serg,

Bryan,

Serg,
I'm going to stop asking questions now :o

Seems like we are constantly arriving at false summits. Just when you think you are getting on top of something, a higher and steeper peak comes into view! Astigmatism? Really?

I think I will go back to bed. ::)

Seriously though, thank you for pushing the limits of our understanding of this frontier.
Bryan,
Yes, a diamond cut creates Astigmatism and chromatic aberration for Light source image. It increases Light source image and decrease Fire flashes brightness . Bigger dispersion creates bigger aberrations and astigmatism , less fire brightness.
Small dispersion reduces Saturation, Big dispersion reduces Brightness .

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Serg said:

I can never follow any of the stuff you vendors start geeking over about (not said in a negative way at all-- I find it super cute!), but OMG OMG OMG I CANT WAIT TO GO TO MY ANNUAL EYE CHECK-UP NOW!!! I want to get my eyes dilated so I can get a real LSD-like trip minus the cognitive issues while viewing my sparklies!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Serg|1419743780|3808599 said:
Rockdiamond|1419740082|3808578 said:
3) Cut geometry

and many other things

David,

0) Diamond Size

Thank you Serg!

David,
Which cuts have better Fire Performance for You than round cut? what many difference in Fire do you see between round cut and Fire Performance cuts? Fire flashes size? Flash quantity ? Anything else ?

Serg- I have never purchased diamonds on the basis of "fire". Looking through many photos, I do notice the the effect has occurred in pretty much every shape of stones. In general, larger facets seem to present more opportunities for fire. Cuts like Emerald and OMB have some large facets, so there's a lot of opportunity for fire.I'm sure your point about size will hold true- but the camera can pick up fire flashes on very small facets as well.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Rockdiamond|

Serg- I have never purchased diamonds on the basis of "fire". Looking through many photos, I do notice the the effect has occurred in pretty much every shape of stones. In general, larger facets seem to present more opportunities for fire. Cuts like Emerald and OMB have some large facets, so there's a lot of opportunity for fire.I'm sure your point about size will hold true- but the camera can pick up fire flashes on very small facets as well.[/quote]

David
What good is a diamond w/o "fire"..? :confused: may as well wear a piece of glass since glass is a lot cheaper.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1419891013|3809291 said:
[quote="Rockdiamond|

Serg- I have never purchased diamonds on the basis of "fire". Looking through many photos, I do notice the the effect has occurred in pretty much every shape of stones. In general, larger facets seem to present more opportunities for fire. Cuts like Emerald and OMB have some large facets, so there's a lot of opportunity for fire.I'm sure your point about size will hold true- but the camera can pick up fire flashes on very small facets as well.

David
What good is a diamond w/o "fire"..? :confused: may as well wear a piece of glass since glass is a lot cheaper.[/quote]
Can you actually see fire in your diamonds DF?
Not speaking of pictures of them, but actually looking at them

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
[quote="Rockdiamond]

David
What good is a diamond w/o "fire"..? :confused: may as well wear a piece of glass since glass is a lot cheaper.[/quote][/quote]

Not speaking of pictures of them, but actually looking at them

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1419891294|3809295 said:
[quote="Rockdiamond]

David
What good is a diamond w/o "fire"..? :confused: may as well wear a piece of glass since glass is a lot cheaper.
[/quote]

Not speaking of pictures of them, but actually looking at them[/quote][/quote][/quote]
David, I don't get it... :confused: You are the only person on earth whom does not love a sparkling diamond... :wacko:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1419893269|3809306 said:
Rockdiamond|1419891294|3809295 said:
[quote="Rockdiamond]

David

Not speaking of pictures of them, but actually looking at them[/quote][/quote][/quote]
David, I don't get it... :confused: You are the only person on earth whom does not love a sparkling diamond... :wacko:[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

DF- I did not notice the answer to my question. Have you seen what we are referring to ( fire= dispersion of color) with your naked eyes?
To remind you- I began learning about diamonds and was trained by Harry Winston to assess diamonds for cut, color, and clarity- in fact, I'm looking forward to the 40th anniversary of my start date at Winston in about 10 days. The amount I've leaned and seen over these 40 years is astounding.
I've always LOVED well cut stones, and have been lucky enough to see countless sparkly diamonds- even luckier to have owned thousands of amazing, sparkling diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results