shape
carat
color
clarity

When do kids go to one nap a day?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My son is 10 months old. He sleeps from about 7pm to about 7am, and recently has been going longer and longer before his first nap. Two days this week he has gone down after 10am and slept until after noon. Then he won''t be tired again until aroud 4pm, which is awefully late for an evening nap.

Any expeirence with this?? My inclination is to only let him nap for a short period in the evening, but he is cranky-pants if I wake him up.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about other kids, but Amelia went to one nap at around 15 months. I''d have to go back and check, but I think it was around then. At 9 months she transitioned from 3 naps to 2.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on the kid. T didn''t go to 1 nap until closer to 18 months. Can you stretch the nap to start at 11 or so in hopes that he''ll sleep until until 1 or 2 and not be sleepy again until bed time?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 3:37:23 PM
Author: Burk
I think it depends on the kid. T didn''t go to 1 nap until closer to 18 months. Can you stretch the nap to start at 11 or so in hopes that he''ll sleep until until 1 or 2 and not be sleepy again until bed time?
The other possibility is waking him up gently in an hour, instead of having him nap so long.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
around 13 mo''s for us. I miss the 2nd nap, although at least the one nap is a nice long one now.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 3:41:39 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 12/14/2009 3:37:23 PM

Author: Burk

The other possibility is waking him up gently in an hour, instead of having him nap so long.
Yep. I might try this first since he''s so young!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
DD, I think he''s much too young...probably just a shift in his nap schedule. Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago and now we''re back to where we were.

Kids mess things up sometimes.
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t remember maybe around 15 months maybe? One nap is actually MUCH easier so I started to sleep train her when I realized/it became a pain to be stuck at home for two naps. Also I wanted the option of sending her to a mom''s morning out program which would have cut into her morning nap. She sleeps 12 hours a night and one 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Kyle''s a few weeks older than Hunter, and he''s still on 2 naps, although he''s also been going down later for the first nap. He''s not naping as long as he used to, but still doing 2 (about 9/9:30 and a 2:30), for around an hour each time.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
can''t remember with my first one, but I''m pretty sure she only took one long 2 hour nap by 18 months, my second DD 13 months still takes two naps

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
My son went to one nap at around 18 months - now he only naps in the afternoon.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK just curious! I think he does need two naps still. I hate waking him up, because he can be cranky pants after.

Both times he has done this in the last couple days we let him nap as long as he wanted in the am, and then he had a 45 minute nap from somewhere between 4 and 5, which we woke him from to make sure it wasn''t too long. But he still went to bed at his usual time around 7pm! So I guess it it working ok.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday Kyle did the one nap at the sitters. She has mentioned that he might be getting close to being ready to transition, and yesterday she had him all day and evening (DH''s holiday party was after work). So he was up and happily playing until 12:30, when he passed out while eating lunch. He took a 3 hour nap, and then went to bed at normal time without showing any signs of the change affecting his mood.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Lucy started doing only one nap at daycare as of 11.5 months because she moved up to the toddler class. In the beginning, she could barely make it to 1:00--there were days when she actually fell asleep during her lunch at noon! Now that she''s almost 15 months, she can handle it better but we still give her a quick catnap on weekend mornings.

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
My daughter is 14mo and just started taking one nap per day. At first, her schedule was off. Some days she''d nap twice and other days, one long nap. I am moving her nap time later slowly. She;s adapting well, so far.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I was skimming the topics and I read this as "When do kittens go to one nap a day?"

I was thinking, "People''s cats only nap once a day!? Ours must be especially lazy!"

Then I reread it and it made more sense.
3.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
DD-Co did the same thing around that age. I think it was close to a year that he transitioned to just one nap a day. It was rough for a bit, but if i tried to fit in another late aft. nap he was all messed up for bed time.
I would try to push the AM nap back a bit, by say a 1/2 hour (not too long or he will be overtired ) and then put him to bed a 1/2 hour earlier. This worked for us and eventually things evened out so that he was taking one 2 hour nap a day from 11-1 and then sleeping at night from approx. 7am-7am

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results