shape
carat
color
clarity

When did you stop Trick-or-Treating?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I read the posts on freke''s pumpkin throwing thread that mentioned hating teenagers who trick or treat at their homes. So when did most of you stop going?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never gone trick or treating. My kids don''t go either. I do have teenagers who come to my home - not dressed up - and expect me to give them something. They make no effort to get into the whole swing of things so why should I give them a thing!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I think I was about 9 ish when I stopped. I lived in a neighborhood where the houses are pretty far apart and big, so we had to drive somewhere else to trick or treat, and it was just a pain in the butt. I now live in a neighborhood where the houses are much closer together (I can''t afford the privacy that my parents could
28.gif
)
There are people everywhere on Halloween. I love handing out candy... But not to adults or teenagers, especially if they are not even dressed up! But the kids are soooo cute!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I stopped going at about 12 or 13. I still wish I could go. I love dressing up for Halloween!!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my son was around 12 when he stopped, it use to annoy me to see teenagers trick or treat, but not much anymore, they just want to get candy, lol, i remember this one kid he was around 17 or so and i ask him what are you dressed as, he said a poor college student, lol, since my son was in college i could relate, i gave him extra candy
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think 7th grade was my last year. I always get kinda annoyed when teenagers/adults come to my door.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I have friends who went well into the first year or two of high school. They just really liked dressing up and getting into the fun of it. Plus, it''s not like there were costume parties like adults have, so without trick-or-treating there was no way for them to dress up.

I did want to share what happened to us last year in our first Halloween at our condo. We live in a poor area (poor for Connecticut anyway) though I don''t consider it dangerous at all. FI is home by himself at the start of the night and some teenagers show up (without younger siblings) and none of them have costumes. One is wearing a baseball cap and holding a bat though. FI said he just gave them tons of candy and hoped they didn''t come back to use that bat on our house. Haha. Creepy kids ... They could''ve at least worn costumes.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I think I was in middle school the last time I went. My boys are 14 and 12. The younger one will probably dress up and go with his little sis (5). The older one will likely stay behind and hand out candy.

I agree with all who said dressing up is fun! Lots of the parents in our neighborhood dress up. DH is itching for a gorilla costume!
20.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I think I was about 12 or 13. Now I just buy big bags of candy for myself.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I remember going out the first year of Jr. High with my best friend and we realized after about 3 houses we were too old so we went back to her house instead and never went out after that.

Kids in my neighborhood go out in high school but the ones who do come to the door at least have masks on and are really respectful. I don''t mind the HS kids coming to my door if they at least make an effort to dress up (and they do!) and they are respectful.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Ok I guess I''m the only one here... but I went for the first two years of college! I LOVE dressing up and I think its a good alternative to going to a Halloween party where many underage students end up drinking. My friends and I always dressed up though and were very polite... not yelling or being obnoxious. I guess I also wanted to make up for all of the times my parents didn''t take me... I think they only took me Trick or Treating 3 or 4 times when I was younger.

Oh Well...

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
i haven''t trick or treated for ages but this year i will be taking my 10 month old son. we will be going with a few friends and their kiddies as well. it should be fun.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t really remember but I think I was about twelve. At that stage I started going to sleep overs and parties at my friend''s houses and was too "cool" to be out trick-or-treating!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably stopped about age 12. However, later in my teens, around age 16, my friends and I dressed up as pregnant nuns and we were yelled at by a number of people. It was really fun and we had a good time running from house to house causing chaos because people were so stuffy in their opinions. Halloween is meant to be fun, right?
3.gif

I think people should lighten up and let teens have their fun too!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t go when I was in middle school, and then my friends and I went once in 9th grade (so 14/15 ish). We did dress up though, and we were nothing but polite to the people who gave us candy.

One year in college we went to University of Ohio, where they celebrate massively for Halloween, and we got tons of candy there, but I didn''t really think of it as trick-or-treating.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
I was about 12 when I stopped....

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're supposed to stop? Darn...

ETA: My SIL is really super religious and doesn't allow her (4) kids to go trick or treating OR celebrate Halloween at all because it's anti-Christian and celebrating the devil. My mom has always had a huge problem with this because she figures that Halloween is basically just a good excuse for kids to eat a lot of candy, dress up in crazy costumes and have fun. So what does my mom do? Buys about $50 of different types of candy, evens it out into a bag for each one of the grandchildren, and puts it in a big box and ships to their house with "Happy Halloween" written on the outside of the box, and Halloween stickers stuck all over it as well.

And people think my mom is just the kindest nicest person, and that I get my mischievous nature from my father. They have no idea....

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I think I went for the last time in 9th grade--we were definitely dressed up, though! I had a creepy guy hit on me at one of the houses we went to, unfortunately, so that was definitely the last time. Eww!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I was old enough to drive to people's houses! But really, sometime before 9th grade. I lived in Beverly Hills though so we used to knock on Gene Kelly, Carl Reiner, Lucille Ball, Buddy Hackett and Marvin Gaye's door...it was a lot of fun.

Then we just had parties instead, with haunted things and food and music.

Hate to admit it but in this day and age I really am NOT a fan. Creepy is really the word to me, opening my door to total strangers, who could be weirdos using costumes as a shield to get into your home...and I allow my younger two only on my cul de sac. I check it all and often sub in candy I bought. They love the costumes and ringing bells, and as long as they have some candy at the end it is fine. I used to have a pillow case full and we would eat ourselves sick.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 2:45:40 PM
Author: Sabine
I didn''t go when I was in middle school, and then my friends and I went once in 9th grade (so 14/15 ish). We did dress up though, and we were nothing but polite to the people who gave us candy.

One year in college we went to University of Ohio, where they celebrate massively for Halloween, and we got tons of candy there, but I didn''t really think of it as trick-or-treating.

I went to OU...it is a massive celebration for sure.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I've never really been into trick or treating. I stopped when I was like 9 or so and one year, I think I was maybe in the 2nd grade, I stayed home and gave out candy.

I don't really believe in Halloween. I'm weird, I know. I think for my kids, I don't think I'm going to let them. Now, I will have a huge party for them or something of that nature.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
6th or 7th.. and then in 9th, a bunch of us dressed up and trick-or-treated but only to houses where we knew people who lived there :)

Halloween just makes me want to have a kid...ahhh the crazy assortment of candy! The question I have is how young can a kid start?!!?;-) ETA: I just re-read I think I'll go with that 10 mos as a starting point, haha!

Another ETA: I've never gotten the "Halloween is anti-Christian" argument - my parents wouldn't let me dress up as a witch or devil (that's what I was nearly every year in college) so there were restrictions in my house, but I always understood that it stems directly from All Soul's Day.

Also, where we live, trick-or-treating is on the 30th. Is that typical for where most people live? Seems so weird to me, but I grew up in a small town so I didn't know if it's normal in most areas.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 7:16:47 PM
Author: Elmorton
6th or 7th.. and then in 9th, a bunch of us dressed up and trick-or-treated but only to houses where we knew people who lived there :)

Halloween just makes me want to have a kid...ahhh the crazy assortment of candy! The question I have is how young can a kid start?!!?;-)

We are taking T and she will be just shy of a year. We are only going to a few houses (of our friends) and will bring the stroller. Also since we do it on 10/31 PM we will go on the early side before dark.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I think I was 12 or 13----I went with my little brother :)

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 6:55:33 PM
Author: FrekeChild
We''re supposed to stop? Darn...

ETA: My SIL is really super religious and doesn''t allow her (4) kids to go trick or treating OR celebrate Halloween at all because it''s anti-Christian and celebrating the devil. My mom has always had a huge problem with this because she figures that Halloween is basically just a good excuse for kids to eat a lot of candy, dress up in crazy costumes and have fun. So what does my mom do? Buys about $50 of different types of candy, evens it out into a bag for each one of the grandchildren, and puts it in a big box and ships to their house with ''Happy Halloween'' written on the outside of the box, and Halloween stickers stuck all over it as well.

And people think my mom is just the kindest nicest person, and that I get my mischievous nature from my father. They have no idea....
*snort* Hahahahaha!!!! I love your mom!

DiamondFan - Trick or treating when we don''t know the people freaks me out too. We only go in our development and a neighboring development because we know almost everyone. I still check the candy anyway.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I stopped in high school. I went with my group, we always had a blast. My kids stopped going in Middle school. It''s just not what it used to be. Mischief night was huge around here, back in the day. That was REALLY fun.
31.gif

I am floored at the amount of College kids we get. They don''t dress up.
20.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I stopped when I realized it was more fun to scare the beejeezus out of little kids than it was to encourage cavities in your mouth.
9.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
After Last Halloween..I threw in the towel..and I''m 39!
emwink.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 7:49:30 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I stopped when I realized it was more fun to scare the beejeezus out of little kids than it was to encourage cavities in your mouth.
9.gif

Gee PP, I don''t think I would have wanted you to scare my two little grandboys when they were teeny tiny. You would have give them nightmares!!!
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results