shape
carat
color
clarity

When did you start shopping for dress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

antiquediamond

Rough_Rock
Mara - I just saw the photo of you in your dress. It''s stunning, just perfect for Hawaii. It looks incredibly light and elegant. It''s great that your mom loves it too...Whether we want to admit it or not, what mom says about what we wear really matters. I''m going shopping in mid-January; just as soon as I lose "13 lbs. in 2 weeks" as promised by the South Beach Diet! People keep looking at me like, "You haven''t bought your dress yet?!" I''m just now starting to freak out...and the wedding''s not til august!!!
I''m wondering when all of you bought or will buy your wedding gowns?

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
I'm getting married in August, too, and I just bought my dress two days ago. I don't think that you should panic at all. I think that as long as you give yourself six months, you'll be fine. And even less can be fine, depending.

Just an aside--there is another thread on here about people with dresses that aren't white. Mine is "spun gold" (their description, not mine) and ivory. It is soooo not white, and I love it.

Actually, I was slightly traumatized when I found my dress right away because looking was the most fun I've had shopping in my whole life!

Daniela

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
I bought mine about a year and a half ago - but that was for a previous short termed engagement. I still love my dress and will use it in Sept when I get married!
love.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was the supreme laggart, got tired of all the gasps and askance looks accompanied by 'you haven't bought your dress yet?!?!'. So I grabbed the reins and just did it! Middle of December, wedding in May...so about 5.5 months out. I was actually really pushing the envelope...alot of dresses take about 5-6 months to order, so I was lucky to get the sample and have it be in excellent condition.

I feel really good about it too, there are just so many dresses out there that finding 'the one' is alot of pressure IMO. At some point you have to stop and say...woah...
2.gif
I don't know if I ever found 'the one' (I found a few that were beautiful..heehe) but this one works well for my needs, is fitting for the Hawaii wedding and still extremely elegant, was a great price and looks lovely. Those were my requirements, like I tell everyone who asks...All I want is to look good in the pictures. Your memories of the day are easily replayable in your mind, but the photographs are what last and people see!!!
2.gif
Plus I also didn't want a dress that 20 years later my kids would look at and go 'Mom what were you thinking?!' (e.g. lace and tulle explosion)

Since I was around the original budget with the dress, now I don't feel so bad clamoring for the real diamond jewelry that I have been eyeballling on Fortunoff that will go amazingly with the beading on the gown!
1.gif

redjenn

Rough_Rock
If you are willing to get a dress off the rack then you are still doing okay for time. If you want a dress ordered from a manufacturer/designer then you better hurry. The standard is leaving no less than 6 months....the last fitting (3rd fitting) being one month before to get accurate measurements and alterations.

South Beach Diet? Argh. Get thee self to the gym and start exercising - a starvation diet could have nasty rebound weight...you may weigh more by August. Find a fun class - like dancing or belly dancing or something. Then its not like exercise.

X Jen

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
AD..so did you try the South Beach diet? My friend did it in December and lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks...but then of course Xmas came around and everyone went off their diets.
2.gif

Anyway my co-worker is doing it too and it's actually quite interesting. You can modify it quite easily and still lose weight but without being SO strict. I work-out anyway, 4 times a week, but am following portions of what my co-worker is doing just for fun...curious to see if I can tell an additional difference after two weeks. So I am cutting out alot of carbs but not all of them...that's no fun!
1.gif
More salads at lunch, chicken and fish for dinner. I can do that for two weeks. That way at least I will be able to know for sure if I can fall back to that a month before the wedding just in case!!
9.gif
My dress is so slim that everything shows...gotta be ready!

antiquediamond

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to update you on "the dress" I ordered my dream gown last Saturday. I had stopped into a high end bridal salon just about a mile from my house shortly after we got engaged in September...there was a sign outside that said "sale, sale, sale" so I figured it was worth a look. I told them I wanted strapless, simple, and light enough for summer. She brought out the most amazing silk gazar a-line strapless gown that folds over at the top in a material that's shinier than the rest of the dress. At the bottom, there's a band that goes all the way around in that same fabric as the top. It can be bustled up, or lower. Well, I lost 10 lbs. and went there w/ mom and my 2 MOH last weekend. When my mom cried, I knew it was mine!!!
appl.gif
I got a gorgeous veil and a watters and rain blue and crystal tiara (that you can make into a necklace after) and I even ordered my shoes...talk about a productive wedding weekend. I am sooooo relieved!!

Regarding the South Beach Diet...it works! I've lost about 12-13 lbs. so far. It's actually quite good for you. The first two weeks are tough, but what I've basically done is cut out everything white, except for lowfat ice cream -- I'll never give up ice cream! After Phase one, you add in fruit, whole grains, yogurt, stuff like that. I am going to star going back to the gym next week. I was going to go this week, but it is seriously cold here in Mass. I'm a teacher and school is actually cancelled for tomorrow (Friday) because it's going to be cold outside...absolutely unheard of but I'll take a five-day weekend!!! I lived in California for a year six years ago. I ate so much better out there and I'm convinced it's because it was almost always bathing suit weather! And by the way Mara, you look awesome in your dress. Good luck cutting back the carbs though; it's really not that bad, is it?

BTW,our wedding is six months from today!!!
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I started cutting back the carbs this week, but I didn't do it 100%...so it's harder to see those fast results that everyone else does. But my girlfriend who just started cutting back carbs a week and a half ago (not using SB diet..just watching her carb intake and knowing what has high carbs and not eating it) lost 5 lbs and her clothes fit her looser now. She just wanted to lose about 10 lbs total so she can be happy about her bikini for Hawaii, so she is pretty excited.

I started my workout again this week and hopefully with cutting back about 50% on carbs vs what I used to eat (really cutting back on bread, tortillas & potatoes which I LOVE) and I already watch the fat and calories that I take in...we'll see what happens!
1.gif
I just want to knock off the 5 or so lbs that I gained over holiday and between workouts and the slightly better diet, should be back to normal within 2-3 weeks!
1.gif

My dress is amazing but it shows everything. Gotta be prepared!
1.gif
So happy that you found your dress AD...it sounds lovely! Congrats on the great SB results!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results