shape
carat
color
clarity

When did you grow up?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I like this thread:

I have 2-The first was right after I graduated high school. (2002) I was supposed to go to a Big Ten school, went, lasted a week and came home. I knew I HAD to go to school so I enrolled in Comm. College. It was then that I realized I was a big girl and had made a smart decision by coming home and going to school where I could do well instead of being consumed by home-sickness. It was the best decision I ever made. (one of), I graduated in 4 years when most friends were taking 5 or longer, have a career, and am now back working on my Master''s!

Second is happening right now. I''m engaged, getting ready to be a wife and when FI and I go to Best Buy I love to look at the washer/dryers and fridges.
6.gif
I''m having a Haven moment thinking, "OMG, I can''t believe I''m old enough to be doing this!" But I love it and can''t wait to see what else the future has in store for me!

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What an interesting question!

I''m sort of waiting for the same moment Haven had, to wake up one morning and realize that I''m all grown up!
9.gif
I''m married, have a nice career, making decent money, and a month away from turning 30, and I wonder if I''ll finally feel like a grown up when I wake up the morning of my 30th birthday! LOL!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a Brady Bunch era kid. I related to Jan and had a crush on Peter. (we were the same age I think.)

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did a lot of growing up the year I turned 30. I was in a major car accident and it forever changed my life in many ways.

all.of.the.above

Rough_Rock
I did my growing up when I was around the age of 19. That year, I had a child and then my mom lost her battle against cancer in 2000, I was 21. From there, I had to take care of my 8 year old sister, my depressed father, my 2 year old son, work full time and go to school. Needless to say, I had to quit school and work in order to help out. Now, I am going to be 30 in a few months and I am finally having the me time I should have had as a teenage/early twenties kid. My sister is now 16 and my son almost 11. They are great kids and I am proud of how they are turning out. I'm back in school full time and still working. I guess I just grew up backwards.
2.gif

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like I have had 2 big moments (so far). First April 1, 2003 when I found out my parents were divorcing. The date was ironic and I spent the next few months dealing with a lot. And second would be summer 2007 when I graduated college, moved to NY and decided it was time for real life to begin. Shortly after I met my FI and life really changed and it was no longer about me and my selfish ways.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Well, one was August of 2004. That''s when I went to college half a world away from my parents and realized that I would have to deal with anything that happened all by myself. I had heart problems that I was trying to deal with, I was homesick and depressed, and I knew virtually nothing about the country and state I was living in. It was bad. But I got through it and even learned to love Virginia!

I feel like I''m going through another one right now. I''m 22, living by myself with my cats (that I adopted because I wanted to and I knew I could give them a good life all by myself), and don''t have to ask permission for anything that I want to do. I may be moving into a house owned by my parents in May, but I would be paying rent and living on my own 10 months of the year. When I was talking about all the money this arrangement would free up, I mentioned saving almost all of it, but finally getting the motorcycle of my dreams. My mom said she didn''t know how happy she and my dad would be about that, and I looked at her and said, "Frankly, as long as I''m paying my bills on time and not asking to borrow money, I don''t see that it''s any of your business. It''s my money and I''ll do what I like with it. I''m doing you as much of a favour by living in that house as you''re doing me a favour by getting it now and lowering my rent." It was definitely a "Holy moly, I''m growing up!" moment.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it weird that I still feel like I haven''t grown up! I was living with my parents for my first degree so I didn''t feel grown up and even though I earn my own money now, I think it''s because I''m back in college that I still don''t feel grown up enough. I just don''t feel 27. I earn my own money, take care of my house, take care of my FI and our pets but still feel 18.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Great question - I was born in 76, and started college in 93. I lived in Boston from 93-99, the "Gen X/Grunge Era," and I find that time period really molded my personality and who I am.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I''m 21, and in a lot of ways I am not grown up, but I think I have always been like my mom''s 30-year-old kid. I have always been responsible, not really cared if I hung out with my mom (unlike every other teenager) and have been working since I was about 13 (babysitting, and saved a LOT of money).

But just this past year, I have really grown up when I realized how big of an effect the economy actually has on ME! I pay for my own rent, cable, internet, electricity, cats (which me and my BF "adopted" and LOVE, and didn''t ask anyone if it was okay), and my own car. I work 20 hours a week and am taking 17 credits. It''s just scary that any time I could possibly not have a job, (I work for an in home daycare, and the reason she hired employees was to cover the child:adult ratio, but if children drop out... then no more job!)

I think I have really separated myself from my parents since they have split up (3 years ago) because I don''t want to be involved with "their" business, just my and my boyfriend''s own life. I just feel like my own person, with morals different than my parents, and I am happy with myself.

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Lets see.. 2001 was a very bad year for me. [ETA: oops! :)] From 2001 - 2008, I was still trying to grow and heal from those experiences. Then, one day, I think it was Christmas this year, I woke up. Looked at my SO sleeping next to me [ETA: and laughed as my cousins (10 and 2) came running to wake us up] and realized how truly blessed I am. That's the day, I decided it was time to become a responsible happy adult. I need to be a role model for the cousins I adore. I'm working on it, but with my SO's help, I am definitely well on my way to doing some responsible growing :)

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Child of the sixties. Teenager of the seventies. In my twenties during the eighties. I was just barely a baby of the fifties -- 1959.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results