shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats your limit? *poll included*

How much would you spend on a Stone or Specimin?

• Other (I''ll give my answer in the thread)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I won''t spend more than my house is worth on a single stone/specimin

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Sky''s the limit! I got the money to do what I want!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After the pink topaz thread, I got to thinking, what IS the limit unto which you say "ain''t no way".

Poll is a coming. if you want, please expand on your answer!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Much as I would love some of what you are smoking I opted for ''not more than my house is worth''. And that would only be on a diamond if I won the lottery!
9.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I CURRENTLY wont spend more then 1k on ANY stone. I answered other cause my car is 35k and I would never spend close to that on a stone.

Now If I wont the lotto or somehow became rich...the skys the limit LOL.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Though I simply don''t have the money to spend, I think it really depends on the stone. Sometimes, you come across something that just gets you and you will find a way to make it work.

That being said, if it is worth more than my car or my house, it better be pretty freakin'' spectacular.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally couldn''t spend more than my car. Even if I won the lottery the same rule would apply (granted though I may have a 6 figure car at that point though...lol)

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not more than a double - but only on a stone like Alex or a fine sapphire or a Paraiba and only after I totally feed my 401 K. So the end of the year.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
well, I'm currently saving for my next purchase, I want to create a fivestone band of OEC diamonds set in a trellis setting with claw prongs.

In the meantime
27.gif
I amtrying to figure out how to get more color in my life. I wouldn't spend more than $200 on a gemstone right now, but I have my eye on some...but I set a limit of $100 for a setting so I have to wait and see what I find...

if I won the lottery, I think my limit would be $5000 for a gemstone and $10000 for a diamond, but I might get a few of each
31.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
haha, well I''d say my limit continues to climb- I''m definitely focusing on quality over quantity, though. Once my training is finished and I get a real job hubby is in trouble
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 5:09:15 PM
Author: icekid
haha, well I''d say my limit continues to climb- I''m definitely focusing on quality over quantity, though. Once my training is finished and I get a real job hubby is in trouble
9.gif

I like your approach.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian...maybe you should have used numbers of zeros..none of your options had two zeros in them unless you are buying way cheaper cars then me...so I had to ask what you are smoking!

Laura

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Are we talking what my 12 year old car is worth today or what I paid for it?

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
What are you smoking?! Please pass it this way! I''m going to hand it to my husband.
21.gif
I couldn''t spend more than a few thousand on a stone which is still way less than my cars are worth (I''m a car person too ya know!) but my husband believes that a few hundred is too much for a stone.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2010 10:01:22 AM
Author: brandy_z28
What are you smoking?! Please pass it this way! I''m going to hand it to my husband.
21.gif
I couldn''t spend more than a few thousand on a stone which is still way less than my cars are worth (I''m a car person too ya know!) but my husband believes that a few hundred is too much for a stone.
Oh, I should start a thread on husbands and rocks...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really limit myself. Even if I have money I split it up and get several things. I KNOW that I could have spent that money just on a single stone but??? I also only buy things that I really really like so I have no regrets. Well one but it was a very cheap learning experience. Just taught me that spending too little on a stone is a bad idea.

So I must spend at least a certain amount... but way way less than my car cost new.

The other day my son was looking at Lamboughinis in Car and Driver and I was looking online at diamonds, that combination freaked my husband out!!
9.gif
11.gif
He simply left the room!

edited for spelling
20.gif

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

When I first started buying gems $300.00 felt like a lot. I had anxiety before i showed them to a gemologist. I then found that $400.00 was a pricepoint where i got better looking gems. So I spent that. I think I could spend $1,000.00 now and if I could make $100,000.00 in the stock market, I have my son''s Ok to spend $10,000 on a gem. I know which gem I''m looking for. I have a long way to go to get there. But is fun trying.

Thanks,

My son lives with me and makes sure his inheritence isn''t going off into la la land.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t answer this one because how much is a car worth? $15,000, $50,000, $100,000? More? Spending habits are (or should be) relative to income so what I consider a lot of money, somebody else will consider chump change and vice versa.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for cars; I never buy new ones, unlike my husband who has to have a new one every 3 years. My last car was I guess around 20K used? it was much more new but I''m cheap.

Kismet, if the car is 12 years old, it dosen''t count...lol

But some others can have 40K and up cars. (As I would but if I didn''t have to pay for it
21.gif
)

Basically I want to know what is your personal rule of thumb. Y''all know I can''t account for Erbody!

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2010 3:18:53 PM
Author: Arcadian
As for cars; I never buy new ones, unlike my husband who has to have a new one every 3 years. My last car was I guess around 20K used? it was much more new but I''m cheap.

Kismet, if the car is 12 years old, it dosen''t count...lol

But some others can have 40K and up cars. (As I would but if I didn''t have to pay for it
21.gif
)

Basically I want to know what is your personal rule of thumb. Y''all know I can''t account for Erbody!

-A
How about this - if I can afford it and it feels right to the gemstone in question and I won''t regret it later.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I would not spend anywhere near what my car is worth. $5,000 would probably be my upper limit on a colored stone, and I haven''t gone there yet.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
My limit is what I can comfortably spare in cash. As a city girl, I will probably never learn how to drive, let alone own a car. If I even entertain the thought of spending as much on a gem/mineral as on the property we''re considering, I should be shot.

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
I like Harriet''s answer of "If I even entertain the thought of spending as much on a gem/mineral as on the property we''re considering, I should be shot."

Haha, awesome answer.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I should be, because I shouldn''t be debt-financing luxury consumption.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
For a really high quality/untreated or heated/perfect color padparadscha sapphire, I''d pay double what my car cost. It''d probably be small, but worth it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I was looking for a hybrid but since Toyota is recalling them I might wait another year. Also, since I am clearing my safe, I may have more $$ to spend.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 4:45:28 PM
Author: Harriet
Thanks! I should be, because I shouldn''t be debt-financing luxury consumption.

So true, K!

I don''t get the car comparison, anyway. They''re not my thing! My Civic is safe and gets me where I need to go. So I''d rather spend my discretionary funds on pretty rocks rather than a fancy car.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm.... I too find it difficult to make an analogy between cars and rocks, but I''ll try. We have two very nice cars, both top of the line Mercedes. We bought them both new. One is now 22 years old and the other is 8 years old.
The reason we have not traded them in is that we got exactly what we wanted in the first place. I think you can justify not compromising on the car you buy if you keep it for, well, 22 years or so.

I buy stones the same way. I don''t buy many. I would rather have just a few special stones that I really love than lots of stones.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 3:59:26 PM
Author: Pink Tower
Hmmm.... I too find it difficult to make an analogy between cars and rocks, but I''ll try. We have two very nice cars, both top of the line Mercedes. We bought them both new. One is now 22 years old and the other is 8 years old.
The reason we have not traded them in is that we got exactly what we wanted in the first place. I think you can justify not compromising on the car you buy if you keep it for, well, 22 years or so.

I buy stones the same way. I don''t buy many. I would rather have just a few special stones that I really love than lots of stones.
Eventually the repair costs and pain of needing to repair a car get me to buy a new one!

And I wouldn''t spend the cost of a new car for a single gemstone.
21.gif

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Stonie,
Nope, I would not pay as much for a gemstone as I would for a car, at least not in my current income bracket.
But, whatever my income bracket, I would rather have fewer, but nicer stones than lots of lesser ones. Less is more, for me, at least.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the current worth of my car I''d happily pay 10x it for the right stone
1.gif

''course, that''s way out of budget anyway.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results