shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats the proper description for...........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I had a quick question, what are the holes on the inside of the ring called? I recall there was a proper name, other than being known as "the holes that make the stones easier to clean".
3.gif

I am having Ahern & Brucker make my husbands ring & asked them what size the "holes" would be. I asked Bob what the right name was & he said......"holes".
23.gif
25.gif
Do any of you know?

Judy
10.gif

You know, I dont remember if I actually said I was getting the ring made. Its the same ring Josh & James had made only all white gold with a blue sapphire, .50 pt in center & 2 side diamonds of .20 each. Its the Basic Mans Ring. Only, this thing in a size 14 is not basic! Michael E is now working on either cutting my sapphire or obtaining one. Both vendors have been outstanding to work with. Bob even commended me on telling him up front rather than at the end of the project that I was a picky customer.
36.gif
17.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I know:

''ajoures''

but there might be other names.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The technique is called "Ajouring" A Jour is a French derived phrase meaning opening up the bottom to day light, A= to Jour=Day. You'll see it spelled adjouring, ajouring, azuring.....any number of ways since no one can figure out which one is right. It all sounds the same and folks rarely write it.

These holes can be drill holes or shaped in square, hexagons, crescents, S's....a number of shapes.

The work of fine jewelers is always highly polished while the work of commercial operations is rather dull and crude inside the ajours. If these are polished, sometimes the jeweler actually uses polishing compound on cotton string and polishes one hole at a time. This is called "thrumming", possibly spelled 'thrumbing". When you see someone spend a full day simply polishing these little holes, you see dedication to a craft or a very hungry worker who is struggling to earn his daily pay.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow,

Thank you so much both of you for getting back so quickly. David, I didnt know all that detail was paid or not paid (depending where you got your ring) to the product. I see it can make a difference if the ajoures were polished properly. I wondered why sometimes with lesser priced jewelery, the underside was rough, & scratchy. Now I know, it was just cheaply made.
38.gif

Boy, you can learn a lot by spending just one day here.
34.gif

Judy
:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results