shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s the difference between a rose cut and a checkerboard?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/2/2009 2:56:02 PM
Author: megeve
Hi Roger

Thats an interesting read about the different rose cuts. I have always thought there is only one rose cut and not a few different ways of cutting it.

I have a piece of jewelry with a rose cut pear as the face of a fairy and I am really interested to know which of the cuts you mentioned is this *face*, could you please tell me?
Megeve,
I''ll get back with you on this a little later - and hopefully I should be able to produce diagram(s) to assist with sorting this out. And BTW.... nice looking piece! Very creative.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Roger,

I'll be looking forward to your reply!

Thanks for your kind compliment! I have a real good jeweler/designer!
9.gif

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Roger
Thats an interesting read about the different rose cuts. I have always thought there is only one rose cut and not a few different ways of cutting it. I have a piece of jewelry with a rose cut pear as the face of a fairy and I am really interested to know which of the cuts you mentioned is this *face*, could you please tell me?
Megeve,
Having looked at the 'face of the fairy', it is possible, and likely that the cutter chose (or created) his own style. I did a little research and I am of the opinion that the vast majority of "Rose Cuts" (historically speaking) were shaped in round, or near-round. So if, at that time, one had a piece of diamond rough shaped well for a pear shape, one could choose to not place a table on the stone.... and thus leaving it in a Rose-Cut fashion. Here is an example of a pear shape that could have worked with a table. Please note, this could have been a true "Rose-Cut" as not having a pavilion, or could have been a fully faceted pear shape completed without the table facet. This design is by Roy Bailey in 1966.

1966BaileyPS-Rose.jpg

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Megeve,
This too, could have been a true "Rose-Cut" as not having a pavilion, or as noted earlier, could have been a fully faceted pear shape completed without the table facet. This is by Dave Miller in 1970.

1970MillerPS-Rose.jpg

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Megeve,
And finally, the drawing below was created as a true "Rose-Cut" and was never intended to have a pavilion. This too, was from 1970, but was created and published by the infamous, Norman Steele. So, it is possible that we could run through numerous diagrams and not come across a good replica of your 'fairy' pear shape design. It is though, attractive none the less!

1970SteelePS-Rose.jpg

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
sorry to thread jack... but... I looked at the link that Fly girl posted- very nice stuff! Then I looked at the ''retailers who carry our stuff'' link, and lo and behold! The only jewelry store I love in my area is one of those stores!! I knew they had something good going for them, lol. They always have some of the nicest colored stone sections, lots of estate stuff, and a very nice, non-pushy staff. Kind of off topic, but I was excited.

Thanks for all of the info! very interesting thread. I never knew there were so many variations on the rose cut.

Megeve: I love that pendant! It''s beautiful
12.gif

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/3/2009 7:23:28 PM
Author: kas baby
sorry to thread jack... but... I looked at the link that Fly girl posted- very nice stuff! Then I looked at the ''retailers who carry our stuff'' link, and lo and behold! The only jewelry store I love in my area is one of those stores!! I knew they had something good going for them, lol. They always have some of the nicest colored stone sections, lots of estate stuff, and a very nice, non-pushy staff. Kind of off topic, but I was excited.

Thanks for all of the info! very interesting thread. I never knew there were so many variations on the rose cut.
kas baby,
re: never knew there were so many variations.....
There were several other options as well, so I selected what I felt were good representations.

re: ''retailers who carry our stuff''
Those just happen to be my favorites to work with. And, not all stores wanted to be listed -- or do not have a website yet!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Roger,

Thank you so much for the different variations of 'Rose-Cut' You are a wealth of knowledge. I am also inclined to your opinion that the designer of this pendant has created his style of Rose-Cut. I did have a teensy tini hope that it might be one of your variation cuts. Well like you said, it is indeed a beautiful piece.!

I am going to check your site now...........
10.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 11:33:57 PM
Author: Roger Dery
Date: 11/3/2009 7:23:28 PM

Author: kas baby

kas baby,

re: never knew there were so many variations.....

There were several other options as well, so I selected what I felt were good representations.

re: ''retailers who carry our stuff''

Those just happen to be my favorites to work with. And, not all stores wanted to be listed -- or do not have a website yet!

I was so excited to see some in my area- especially since one very close by (that interestingly I had never heard of) is one that hosts round tables!!
9.gif
I am going up there this weekend to dig up more info and meet the people there
36.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hi Roger

Thats an interesting read about the different rose cuts. I have always thought there is only one rose cut and not a few different ways of cutting it.

I have a piece of jewelry with a rose cut pear as the face of a fairy and I am really interested to know which of the cuts you mentioned is this *face*, could you please tell me?
Wow, that''s quite the piece Megeve. I''m guessing it''s not paste either. Can you post a neck shot? You can put it on my pearl thread if you don''t want to do it here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results