shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats the best type of prongs for a VT girdle?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fhuici

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a 1.59 Princess cut that has a very thing girdle. Are there certain type of settings/prongs that are better suited for thin girdles?

Thanks,
Frank

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Five rules to keep in mind:

#1. The skill of the setter is of paramount importance.

Breakage of stones and chipping of princess cuts is largely due to incorrect setting. If the diamond is not seated correctly, or if prong seats have not been cut level, there will always be potential for problems: The setter puts pressure on one corner then moves to the next corner and puts pressure there and so on...

Problems will occur:

A. If the seats are not level in the prongs of the ring or modified as in the prong example in the next post.
B. If the stone itself is not set level in those seats.

In either of these cases, force will release that pressure along a natural cleavage plane. By the way, this can occur whether the girdle is thick or thin or whether it is chamfered or not. The solution is to cut the seat correctly in order to protect the diamond.

#2. It is possible to add a tiny chamfer on the point of a princess for added protection. The AGS has welcomed this practice. It’s nice because these chamfers are undetectable but can increase durability.

#3. The skill of the setter is of paramount importance.

#4. The skill of the setter is of paramount importance.

#5. The skill of the setter is of paramount importance.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the girdle is thin along the sides then you should consider having it set in an enclosed rubbed in setting.
(and be careful as John says - about who sets it.)

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-20,GGLG:en&q=diamond+octahedron shows ocatahedra - 2 princess are cut from each diamond crystal by sawing thru the middle.

The cleavage directions of a daimond are parallel to the triangular faces - which means any sharp blow to the girdle if it is thin will result in a chip.
There is no way a thin of very thin girdled diamond can be worn in a prong setting and survive more than a year or two of every day wear on a ring.

They will break.

fhuici

Rough_Rock
Thank guys for the advice. And guess what, I made the puchase from WF. So John, does that mean you''ll be setting my stone? Its GIA-14262583. Hopefully you can set it for me. Thanks

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2006 9:31:17 AM
Author: fhuici
Thank guys for the advice. And guess what, I made the puchase from WF. So John, does that mean you''ll be setting my stone? Its GIA-14262583. Hopefully you can set it for me. Thanks
Hi Frank - I didn''t realize you were a WF customer when I was P-scoping last night. One of our senior jewelers will set your princess. I''m not a bench guy (except when I played little league) but I can vouch for the skill of our smiths and setters.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results