shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats the best ideal cut stone on the market today

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dyemonds2002

Shiny_Rock
Ive had my share of diamonds and ideal cut diamonds in the past im tired of cleaning diamonds all the time only one time i had one where all i had to do was just wipe it off with my shirt it had that mirror image where not even fingerprints or oil would get on it i guess im asking whats the best stones out there with best polish not symmetry but polish experts please

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2006 5:57:53 PM
Author:dyemonds2002
Ive had my share of diamonds and ideal cut diamonds in the past im tired of cleaning diamonds all the time only one time i had one where all i had to do was just wipe it off with my shirt it had that mirror image where not even fingerprints or oil would get on it i guess im asking whats the best stones out there with best polish not symmetry but polish experts please
I''m a little confused about the question? Do you want a stone that you don''t have to clean?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2006 5:57:53 PM
Author:dyemonds2002

Ideal/Excellent polish certainly will result in the adamantine luster desired from a diamond, but diamonds natually attract oil and grease, such as soap film and fingerprints, so regular cleaning is going to be required - especially in settings that will trap particles and residue. Diamonds near the shallow end of ideal parameters may require less cleaning than those cut deeper - they can perform well even with some dirt on the pavilion - but in all cases a daily cleaning with a good jewelry/gemstone solution (it helps to have a tiny brush made for jewelry cleaning) is recommended to maintain maximum sparkle/performance.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2006 6:33:59 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
...Ideal/Excellent polish certainly will result in the adamantine luster desired from a diamond...

OK, embarrassed to ask this
2.gif
but what does "adamantine" mean, Sir John?

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
This might help - Glossary of Jewelry Terms

The only colored stone that can have adamantine luster is Cassiterite (RI 1.997-2.093).

Hhhhhhmmm, maybe that doesn''t help much.
11.gif

How about - "diamond like"....

The other types of luster are:
metallic (eg Hematite, pyrite, marcasite)
subadamantine (eg Almandite garnet, zircon and CZ)
vitreous (eg glasslike)
subvitreous (eg opal, moonstone, and labradorite)
greasy (eg Ivory, jadeite, and nephrite)

I guess JQ was talking about greasy too....
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

dyemonds2002

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your input yes i meant the luster of the table of a nice ideal cut stone where doesnt require much cleaning say in a bezel setting

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I'm a little confused myself.
40.gif
If you have, for example, a diamond with good polish and one with excellent polish, how will the excellent polish keep it cleaner longer? I though once there are finger prints on the table, there are finger prints on the table? Can someone explain this to me?
20.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2006 8:46:52 PM
Author: Lynn B

OK, embarrassed to ask this
2.gif
but what does ''adamantine'' mean, Sir John?
Adamantine describes the hard, uniquely diamond-like luster of a diamond.

From answers.com

ad·a·man·tine (ăd''ə-măn''tēn'', -tīn'', -tĭn)
adj.
1. Made of or resembling adamant.
2. Having the hardness or luster of a diamond.
3. Unyielding; inflexible: “If there is one dominant trait that emerges from this account, it is adamantine willpower” (Eugene Linden).

From Websailor''s glossary:

Adamantine: The term used to describe a gemstone with a brilliant luster like that of a diamond.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 1:06:33 AM
Author: Kaleidoscopic
I''m a little confused myself.
40.gif
If you have, for example, a diamond with good polish and one with excellent polish, how will the excellent polish keep it cleaner longer? I though once there are finger prints on the table, there are finger prints on the table? Can someone explain this to me?
20.gif

Basically, you''re dealing with refraction here. A diamond refracts in a particular way when it is clean and has nothing on it.

Put hand cream on it and you change the refraction to the refractive "result" hand cream, likewise for each type of "dirt" gets on the surface of the stone.

If you just put a drop of water on the table you''ll see how it affects the refraction.

Rockdoc

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 2:33:25 AM
Author: RockDoc

If you just put a drop of water on the table you''ll see how it affects the refraction.

Rockdoc

Good illustrations Bill. Along those lines, one way to tell a diamond from a CZ is to put the two in a glass of water. The ratio of their different refractive indexes (diamond 2.42, CZ 2.15) increases. The CZ will appear more transparent and virtually disappear.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2006 11:46:52 PM
Author: dyemonds2002
Thank you everyone for your input yes i meant the luster of the table of a nice ideal cut stone where doesn''t require much cleaning say in a bezel setting

As far as I know, polish has nothing to do with how easy a diamond gets dirty. Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast: all diamonds, polished or not polished attract grease.

Is this what the question meant?

The other explanations that slight differences in proportions make the unavoidable dirt show more or less are related... and if you are shopping for diamonds with the particular worry about keeping jewelry clean in mind... it should help.
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results