shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s in a "name?"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s a friendly (or so I hope) disagreement in SMTR about this issue and my curiousity is piqued. What, to you, makes a brand?
(a) Name recognition among consumers at large;
(b) Name recognition among particular consumers (such as ourselves); and
(c) Name recognition among the industry?

Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
All of the above.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
A. Or B. It depends on the product. In a branding effort you would obviously have a target audience. Is it a niche (jewelry) or a product lots of people use (a mortgage)?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi NF,
Do you mean singly or jointly?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2008 9:59:00 PM
Author: Miranda
A. Or B. It depends on the product. In a branding effort you would obviously have a target audience. Is it a niche (jewelry) or a product lots of people use (a mortgage)?
Good point, darling.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another all of the above, although I think A and B are most important.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I would have to say "A"

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it depends on the item.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s jewellery.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2008 10:00:11 PM
Author: Harriet
Hi NF,

Do you mean singly or jointly?

Jointly.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
linkage to the fight?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2008 11:01:23 PM
Author: strmrdr
linkage to the fight?
I''d like the link too... Not saying it''s a fight, we don''t do that here... LOL!!!
31.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it this thread?

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I think a true brand is more than name recognition. While recognition is important, it is the associations, knowing about and valuing, what the brand "stands" for that truly makes a successful brand.

Three examples of brands (and their associations):

Wal-Mart: Low prices

Coach: Premium/high-quality handbags, entry-level luxury

Apple: Innovative technology coupled with extremely thoughtful design

While these are all brands that happen to be well known, I don''t think you have to be widely-known by mainstream/mass audiences to have a strong brand. It is more important to be better known & respected within your core consumer group than be more recognizable, but less valued or understood, among a larger group.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I personally think B and C are more important. Something that is/should be recongnizable to a group of people/and or industry that are knowledgable and focused on said products. I would trust a brand recognition among those who are more avidly involved in said products, mainly because those particular people will know more about the quality from their own experiance and expertise.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how many of you can tell the difference b/t a LM or another brand if i didn''t show you the ring? in other words if i was wearing a generic brand on my finger.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2008 9:45:11 PM
Author:Harriet
There''s a friendly (or so I hope) disagreement in SMTR about this issue and my curiousity is piqued. What, to you, makes a brand?

Thanks!

All of the above
16.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 1:56:26 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
how many of you can tell the difference b/t a LM or another brand if i didn''t show you the ring? in other words if i was wearing a generic brand on my finger.

I don''t understand--how could we tell you anything about a ring if we couldn''t see it? Do you mean could we pick out a Leon Mege ring among other non-LM rings if you didn''t identify them for us?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/23/2008 2:13:53 AM
Author: Haven

I don''t understand--how could we tell you anything about a ring if we couldn''t see it? Do you mean could we pick out a Leon Mege ring among other non-LM rings if you didn''t identify them for us?
yup, if i had three indentical 6 prong plat ring on my fingers,can you pick out the LM?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, that''s a good question, DFire.

I wonder if we could pick out the LM. Any Photoshop experts want to do some magic? I bet we could have a little fun trying to pick out the LM ring . . .

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 2:24:54 AM
Hmmm, that's a good question, DFire.

I wonder if we could pick out the LM. Any Photoshop experts want to do some magic? I bet we could have a little fun trying to pick out the LM ring . . .
The photos would have to be homegrown photos taken by PSers--Leon's photography gives it away like Tiffany photography with its distinctive look. Some people have mentioned the delicacy of his prongs in relation to others. I think we might have a few who can tell the difference.
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if we had close up shots a lot of people would recognise Leons work.. just like they would probably recognise Mark Morrell''s too.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2008 11:08:09 PM
Is it this thread?
emcrook.gif
I don't see any disagreement going on there..

I think THAT thread contains posts that try to get this point across..
People (in general) can't look at a ring and determine the maker of the ring (whether it be Leon, Tiffany, Cartier, or an E-bay Vendor). Not while on a finger anyway. YES..some PS'ers could remove it from the finger and closely inspect it..then determine. MY post was simply saying, one could save a whole lot of money getting the same look with a non-designer ring. PERIOD! Some readers over analyze, and dig too deep for something that just isn't there.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 8:36:54 AM
Author: beau13

Is it this thread?

emcrook.gif
I don''t see any disagreement going on there..

People (in general) can''t look at a ring and determine the maker of the ring (whether it be Leon, Tiffany, Cartier, or an E-bay Vendor). Not while on a finger anyway. YES..some PS''ers could remove it from the finger and closely inspect it..then determine. MY post was simply saying, one could save a whole lot of money getting the same look with a non-designer ring. PERIOD! Some readers over analyze, and dig too deep for something that just isn''t there.
The disagreement wasn''t necessarily in your point (which may be true in some cases) but more in the dismissive, superior attitude shown in your vocabulary choice regarding some PS members (i.e. the ones who are not "real"). Please feel free to respond to my questions and the other questions posed to you in that thread to clarify any misunderstanding that may have occurred.

Apologies, Harriet, for the off-topic post in your thread. Won''t happen again.
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spirited Gwen,
No worries. You're welcome to hijack my threads at any time.

Beau,
You referred to buying a Leon as buying a "name." I disagreed since, as much as I am a fan of his, I do not think he is a "name" (yet) which is why I am soliciting opinions here.

Strm,
Not every disagreement is a "fight."

This is a very interesting debate. Thanks, all. Haven, are you a photoshop whiz?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 2:23:25 AM
Date: 11/23/2008 2:13:53 AM

yup, if i had three indentical 6 prong plat ring on my fingers,can you pick out the LM?

If they were truly identical then no one should be able to tell a difference because they are identical.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good one, Deelight! Poor DF, we''re playing semantics with him.
9.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 9:09:36 AM
Author: gwendolyn

Date: 11/23/2008 8:36:54 AM
Author: beau13

Is it this thread?

emcrook.gif
I don''t see any disagreement going on there..

People (in general) can''t look at a ring and determine the maker of the ring (whether it be Leon, Tiffany, Cartier, or an E-bay Vendor). Not while on a finger anyway. YES..some PS''ers could remove it from the finger and closely inspect it..then determine. MY post was simply saying, one could save a whole lot of money getting the same look with a non-designer ring. PERIOD! Some readers over analyze, and dig too deep for something that just isn''t there.
The disagreement wasn''t necessarily in your point (which may be true in some cases) but more in the dismissive, superior attitude shown in your vocabulary choice regarding some PS members (i.e. the ones who are not ''real''). Please feel free to respond to my questions and the other questions posed to you in that thread to clarify any misunderstanding that may have occurred.

Apologies, Harriet, for the off-topic post in your thread. Won''t happen again.
1.gif
I feel I have no reason to clarify what you may have misunderstood. Thanks
35.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the picking out a "Leon" from three 6 prong settings is a bit irrelevant considering that they always will be a bit different and many people who have done enough research could identify which is which.

Some people are willing to pay more for the assurance of a good product and some aren't. That's it. Whether Leon is a brand is irrelevant. His prices are a bit higher than many, but at the same time there is a level of quality assurance there that isn't there with other brands. Some people are willing to take the risk to potentially get a higher reward, a nice item for a lower price, (i.e., those that are willing to buy from ebay vendors) and some aren't. Period.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2008 9:45:11 PM
Author:Harriet
There's a friendly (or so I hope) disagreement in SMTR about this issue and my curiousity is piqued. What, to you, makes a brand?

Thanks!

Harriet, my reason for a successful brand is not one of your listed choices, but a HUGE reason for such recognition (to me) would be quality control and consistency of such quality!

Recognition in any form is not enough for me to make a purchase. It needs to exceed my expectations of quality to be worth spending my money on it. Now there are many examples of being letdown by purchases that i expected to provide quality. ie, cars, appliances, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results